Sabato's Crystal Ball 2019-2020 Gubernatorial ratings.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:17:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sabato's Crystal Ball 2019-2020 Gubernatorial ratings.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sabato's Crystal Ball 2019-2020 Gubernatorial ratings.  (Read 1924 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »

http://crystalball.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/governors-2019-2020-democrats-try-to-hold-the-line-in-red-state-battles/

Mostly agree with these actually, although I think Louisiana should start as a tossup and Montana should start as leans R, due to polarization.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:02 AM »

Governor races may now be polarized to get in like Oklahoma but opposition party governor's who compromise remain very popular. Louisiana is likely d but kentucky is safe r
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:15 AM »

I'd move WA to Safe D, MO and WV to Safe R, MT to Lean R, and MS to Tossup.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:32 AM »

Not bad to start off with, not bad at all. I dont really see anything to disagree with(the same cannot be said for Cook).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »

If Polarization is really that bad, Vermont and New Hampshire should be moved. By how much? I don't know..
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »

If Polarization is really that bad, Vermont and New Hampshire should be moved. By how much? I don't know..
Vermont and New Hampshire have a long history of electing R governors, despite their leanings, as does most of New England. This trend has persisted even in the age of polarization.

The south however, is a different story. Edwards won in 2015 arguably because Vitter had a lot of personal baggage, leading a lot of Republicans to cross over to support Edwards, who ran as an old-style moderate Lousiana Democrat.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2018, 09:23:43 AM by Senator Zaybay »

Vermont and New Hampshire have a long history of electing R governors, despite their leanings, as does most of New England. This trend has persisted even in the age of polarization.

The south however, is a different story. Edwards won in 2015 arguably because Vitter had a lot of personal baggage, leading a lot of Republicans to cross over to support Edwards, who ran as an old-style moderate Lousiana Democrat.

Wouldnt that mean MT would also stay a tossup, as it has a long history of electing D governors, despite their leanings, and that this trend has persisted after polarization in the forms of Tester, and the PV in the state?

It cant only go one way.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »

Also WV is Safe R
. I guess Missouri can be given the benefit of the doubt a bit if the R governor screws it up badly. Indiana looks Safe as holcomb is a moderate hero.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »

Wouldnt that mean MT would also stay a tossup, as it has a long history of electing D governors, despite their leanings, and that this trend has persisted after polarization in the forms of Tester, and the PV in the state?

It cant only go one way.
The difference with Montana is that it's an open seat. There's no incumbent like in Louisiana, who has a built-in advantage.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

Pretty good map.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »

I'd move IN to likely R (especially if Buttigieg runs), WA to Safe D, and KY to tossup, but overall this is well done.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 12:33:37 PM »

Don't most incumbent governors gets reelected unless there're some horrible screwups?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »

I'd move IN to likely R (especially if Buttigieg runs), WA to Safe D, and KY to tossup, but overall this is well done.

Holcomb won't lose with hsi current trajectory
He is a moderate popular incumbent governor in a state favoring his party. All the fundamentals favor him besides maybe a primary from the right.
UncleSam

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »

Agree except LA will be a tossup by the time next year rolls around, and will break R at the end - if 2018 taught us nothing else it is that polarization is taking hold in red states. For 2020 I don’t really know yet but IN Safe R seems too confident and NH will probably be a tossup come 2020.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »

Agree except LA will be a tossup by the time next year rolls around, and will break R at the end - if 2018 taught us nothing else it is that polarization is taking hold in red states. For 2020 I don’t really know yet but IN Safe R seems too confident and NH will probably be a tossup come 2020.

Governor Kobach, Senator Rosendale and Senator Morrissey say hi.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »

There’s exceptions to every rule. Candidate quality still counts too.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »

There’s exceptions to every rule. Candidate quality still counts too.

And there is no better candidate than a popular incumbent.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »

Tilt D adv to inc party: DEL & NC
Tossup NH, LA, MS, KY & MT
Tilt R adv to inc party: IN, MO, WV, VT, ND & UT
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »

Not a terrible map, but Kentucky and West Virginia should be Safe R, and Washington should probably be Safe D at this point.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »

Not a terrible map, but Kentucky and West Virginia should be Safe R, and Washington should probably be Safe D at this point.

It's worth noting that dems did quite well in the local level in WV even in 2018.

I don't think WV Gov is safe R, and this is coming from someone who thought Ojeda would get assblasted & Manchin would barely win (both of which happened).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:45 PM »

KY isnt safe R😀
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:57 AM »

Kentucky more likely to flip than Missouri? ayy lmao

Loony Larry strikes again!

I can already tell that KY-Gov is gonna be the 2019 race I'm gonna need to ready the egg launching apparatus for.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »

I can already tell that KY-Gov is gonna be the 2019 race I'm gonna need to ready the egg launching apparatus for.

And you'll get to do it for KY-SEN (as well as NV-PRES, of course) in 2020.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 12:22:29 AM »

And you'll get to do it for KY-SEN (as well as NV-PRES, of course) in 2020.

im gonna go bold and try doing it for Texas(not that I think the D will win Texas) but when the first polls come out they will probably show Trump up double digits in Texas and everyone will be LIKE SEE BETO was an abberation its clear the Texas burbs are coming home and then we get another close <5 point election.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »

What I'd change:

IN: Safe R --> Likely R
KY: Lean R --> Tossup
MO: Likely R --> Lean R
WA: Likely D --> Safe D
WV: Likely R --> Lean R

I'm unsure about Mississippi. I want to move it to "Tossup," but the condition that Hood must win a majority of state House districts presents a big challenge.

Also, if they did "Leans," I'd put Louisiana as "Tilt D," but that is due to the possible effects of partisanship and the candidacy of Ralph Abraham. I'm not too familiar with Abraham or his approvals and statewide appeal, but a member of Congress not named David Vitter could make this interesting.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies