Tweed for Senate Headquarters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:37:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Tweed for Senate Headquarters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tweed for Senate Headquarters  (Read 988 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2005, 08:03:39 PM »

This will be my Campaign Headquarters, where I post articles about the campaign, my platform, my resume, etc.

Enjoy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »

My Interview With the Ebowed News Network

-------------------------------

Platform Entry 1: Background and Electoral Reform

Background of Boss Tweed

On January 3, 2004, I founded fantasy politics.  It was an immediate hit, and I emerged as the chairman of the now-defunct AFDNC.  I held this post from early January up until late April of 2004.  During that time period, I enjoyed many successes, such as being influential in the election of the late Nym90 in February of 2004, and also forming a coaliton with the progressives in April 2004 that gained the AFDNC the control of Atlasia's first Senate.

One of these Progressives that I helped elected was Emsworth, now the outgoing Vice President.  He never assumed control of his senate seat, thus leading to a special election.  I ran for this seat and won a close race against Andrew Berger.

While I was in the Senate from April 2004 through August 2004, I fought for moderate principles.  After repeatedly feuding with President Nym90 over a bill that would end second and third trimester abortions, I was able to compromise my way to the passage of the Boss Abortion Act, which illegalized abortions after 150 days of conception.

Voting Reform

During the Industrial Revolution in England, the reformer took a strong stand as he saw his cities crumble to the ground with overpopulation and rampant disease.  He realized that change must occur to aid the disenfranchised.  We face a similar dilemma here in Atlasian Fantasy Politics.

As we have grown through time--we now have over 100 registered voters--we have also grown more complicated.  Rules and regulations have become far too numerous and confusing.  The status quo has failed, and now it is time for a major change in the way we vote.

I oppose secret ballots because that can and will lead to voter fraud.  My proposed system is a direct copy of that which is currently used in Louisiana.  There are to be two rounds of voting; in the first, there are numerous, and every person casts just one vote for their favorite candidate.  Now, if no one candidate breaks 50%, a runoff is held between the top two candidates to decide the winner.  If I am elected Senator, this legislation will be placed on the floor of the senate as soon as I am sworn in.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 08:52:21 PM »

I'd also like to invite any Atlasians to question me on any issue they can think of.  Remember: "It's never un-American or unpatriotic to question anything in a Democracy"...
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 08:54:16 PM »

Who are you? Why are you here? What is your opinion on the voting reforms proposed by various forumites?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 08:56:42 PM »

Who are you? Why are you here? What is your opinion on the voting reforms proposed by various forumites?

I am the founder of Fantasy Politics, the former AFDNC chairman and a former Senator.

I am here because I believe reform is sorely needed.

I believe my stance on voting reform is superior.  In Atlasian terms, it's been called "FPTP with a runoff".  I support an FPTP system, and I feel mine is the best system possible.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »

Why are you better qualified than your opponents for this position?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 09:13:14 PM »

I oppose secret ballots because that can and will lead to voter fraud.

If we follow the procedures laid out in my proposal, how will that lead to voter fraud?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »

Why are you better qualified than your opponents for this position?

My experience is certainly greater than that of two of my opponents; FezzyFestoon and Ben Meyers.  Fezzy is a relative newcomer to fantasy politics.  Granted, I believe he is a fine individual, but relying on newcomers and empty suits in this time of trouble is not a smart plan.

The same concern can be expressed to Ben Meyers; while he has been here for a decent amount of time, he has never held a seat in the senate, and he has to resign from his lone post (Secretary of Defense) due to inactivity.  Even by Mr. Meyers' own admission, he accomplished little-to-nothing of importance while holding the position:

When Mr. Meyers was asked about his greatest accomplishment as Secretary of Defense, he simply could not produce an answer.

I hold no qualms or questions about the experience of Ms. Texasgurl.  I disagree with her views, as I feel she opposes free market capitalism and wants to make social responsibility a thing of the past, but she certainly is qualified to hold a senate seat in troubled times.

I have great experience, however, more so than any of my opponents.  I was the chairman of a party when holding those positions actually meant something, unlike today; also, I have before held a senate seat and fought for moderate principles.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »

I oppose secret ballots because that can and will lead to voter fraud.

If we follow the procedures laid out in my proposal, how will that lead to voter fraud?

I request that you link me to your proposal so I can re-read it and comment upon your question.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 09:40:03 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2005, 09:42:22 PM by Sam Spade (GM) »

I agree with you on the whole issue of voting reform.

I really don't care about simplicity in other facets of government.

You probably won't get my endorsement, however.  Tongue 

Nothing personal and I know you probably won't care anyway.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 09:40:35 PM »

I agree with you on the whole issue of voting reform.

^^^
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »

I'd like to extend my great thanks to Former Senator Akno21 for his endorsement of my Senate Campaign.  He's a great individual and his kind actions do not go unnoticed.

-----------

A second entry into my platform will likely come later today.

I'd like to ask Gabu once again to link me to the voting reform proposal he referenced so I can answer his question.

I'd also like to invite any other citizens to question me about my beliefs or my campaign.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 06:57:38 PM »

I would like to endorse Boss Tweed for Senate.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 07:05:42 PM »

I'd like to thank Former President True Independent for his endorsement.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 07:09:30 PM »

Best of luck Tweed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 07:15:42 PM »

A thanks to Former Governor MAS117.

--------------

Carpetbagging Amendment

One of the main problems, or at least, one of the main unrealistic intricacies of Fantasy Politics is the ability of a member to region shop and hop around the map.  After all, all it takes to "move" is a simple change of avatars.  A good example of someone region-shopping is my esteemed opponent Ben Meyers.  After unsuccessful trials in the Southeast, he has now "moved" to New York to once again pursue a seat in the senate.

I want to change this.  I'm proposing a Carpetbagging Amendment; that is, under my legislation, it will be illegal for an Atlasian Citizen to run for elective office to the Federal Government within 60 days of "moving".  This will cut down on the potential for candidates to hop around that map simply looking for an oppurtunity to gain power.

This is a pressing issue, isn't it?  Nobody wants 10 Hillary Clintons running around the Senate floor, with a Californian representing Dictrict One and a Floridian patrolling the Pacific Coast.  This amendment will end any possibility of that doomsday scenario coming to fruition.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 10:23:20 PM »

This amendment will end any possibility of that doomsday scenario coming to fruition.

Someone is representing me who doesn't live near me.  Our government is going to collapse and we are all going to die.

Why not just let the voters decide who they want to represent them?  Are they not wise enough to choose the right candidate, so they must be "helped"?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 09:56:17 AM »

A good example of someone region-shopping is my esteemed opponent Ben Meyers.  After unsuccessful trials in the Southeast, he has now "moved" to New York to once again pursue a seat in the senate.

As I was explaining to Phil, I had been considering this move for a while.  I admit that the opening up of this Senate seat pushed my move up a little sooner. Wink

There is nothing wrong with my former region, the Southeast, but I was simply in desire of change. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 10:00:22 AM »

A similar bill already came up, I believe.  It was defeated for the same reasons that Q gave.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 08:38:27 PM »

Let's rev her up again, huh?

Using the blueprint of Erskine Bowles, I'll run again.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 08:39:31 PM »

Good luck Tweed
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 08:40:52 PM »

Good luck Smiley