John Dingell: Abolish the Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:05:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John Dingell: Abolish the Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: John Dingell: Abolish the Senate  (Read 7084 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »

I knew I always liked former Congressman Dingell!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Link)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »

Wish he would have said this while he was still politically relevant.
UncleSam

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »

The entire point is still to protect small states from the laws of a small number of mega states. The states have some independence of one another and the senate is the chamber of Congress meant to represent their interests. The people’s house is meant to represent the interests of the large states. Our constitution is set up that way purposefully and just because one party or the other has a disadvantage in that chamber for a time doesn’t mean you should abolish it.

But gl pushing that as a policy platform in...senate races. Lol.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »

The entire point is still to protect small states from the laws of a small number of mega states. The states have some independence of one another and the senate is the chamber of Congress meant to represent their interests. The people’s house is meant to represent the interests of the large states. Our constitution is set up that way purposefully and just because one party or the other has a disadvantage in that chamber for a time doesn’t mean you should abolish it.

This
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »

This
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »

My usual spiel that you can't abolish the Senate without the consent of all 50 states as no Constitutional Amendment can strip a state of its equal suffrage in the Senate without its consent. (Note: no suffrage is not suffrage even if it is "equal" in a mathematical sense.) And good luck getting every last state to agree, much less 3/4 ths.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2018, 12:38:58 PM by AndyHogan14 »

It is extremely unlikely that there is any change without something dramatic happening, but I could see (within my lifetime) the dissolution of the United States over the issue of the Senate. It is wildly undemocratic and the fact that it is the more powerful of the two houses of Congress just adds insult to injury. I would argue that the Senate is in every way like the first and second estates of Ancien Régime France where representatives of an extreme minority were able to overrule the majority—while I agree that there should be laws put in place to protect the minority; tyranny of the minority is a significantly more serious issue than tyranny of the majority.

My usual spiel that you can't abolish the Senate without the consent of all 50 states as no Constitutional Amendment can strip a state of its equal suffrage in the Senate without its consent. (Note: no suffrage is not suffrage even if it is "equal" in a mathematical sense.) And good luck getting every last state to agree, much less 3/4 ths.

That is true, but you could strip the Senate of certain powers via a regular constitutional amendment and I think if the country dissolving is the alternative, then you could get 3/4 to agree. In the interim, however, I think that there can be some consensus on giving certain powers to the House in addition to the Senate. Perhaps the House should be given the right to vote on judges/cabinet officials/treaties (the Senate would still retain these rights) and that could probably be done via statute.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

Massive FF
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:32:10 PM »

Not that this would happen anyway (due to the difficulty of passing an amendment), but all you need is a constitutional amendment removing the equal suffrage part of Article V, followed by another amendment changing the Senate.

Alternatively, you could have an amendment strip the Senate of its power without actually abolishing it.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »

But we are fastly heading in the opposite direction were the minority is running tough shot over the majority. There is nothing healthy about a system where the GOP is running around like they have a mandate while they loses the popular vote by wider and wider margins
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »

This
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »

When did suddenly not understanding the Connecticut Compromise because they lost seats become a Democratic talking point?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2018, 12:49:00 PM by Donborvio »

One of the stupidest points that leftists have brought up in recent years outside of cultural Marxist nonsense.

IT'S *clap* WHY *clap* WE *clap* HAVE *clap* THE *clap* HOUSE.  

It's all a balance: one figurehead, one based on states as a whole, one based on people in the states and a judiciary to keep all of them in check.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »

One of the stupidest points that leftists have brought up in recent years outside of cultural Marxist nonsense.

IT'S *clap* WHY *clap* WE *clap* THE *clap* HOUSE. 

It's all a balance: one figurehead, one based on states as a whole, one based on people in the states and a judiciary to keep all of them in check.
Except the House doesn’t represent “the people” in states like Ohio and North Carolina due to gerrymandering - so the current system allows a minority to have complete control of the government against a majority with no control over anything.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

IT'S *clap* WHY *clap* WE *clap* THE *clap* HOUSE. 

Except the House doesn’t represent “the people” in states like Ohio and North Carolina due to gerrymandering - so the current system allows a minority to have complete control of the government against a majority with no control over anything.

Then fix the gerrymandering laws to fix the districts; don't talk about removing the Senate.  It's like fixing a broken toe by amputating the leg.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »

Guys, guys. The Senate is a sacred institution! It allows the states to have a say in governance! We cant get rid of it.

We should instead admit DC and PR as states! 4 easy senators! Maybe some of the islands as well...
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 12:52:31 PM »

The notion of "small states" being protected from "large states" is a bit of a weird concept in a post-17th Amendment world... since, uhh, states don't "vote," people do. 
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

When did suddenly not understanding the Connecticut Compromise because they lost seats become a Democratic talking point?

"Trump and the GOP are a threat to our institutions! How about we abolish the senate?!!!"  Roll Eyes
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »

I am well aware of the Connecticut Compromise and why it was implemented, but that does not preclude me from advocating for change in a system that no longer makes sense in the modern day.

Then let's give the House the EXACT same powers as the Senate. The House should have a say over judges/cabinet appointees/treaties—why should the Senate (the more undemocratic of the two chambers) be the more powerful of the two?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »

The notion of "small states" being protected from "large states" is a bit of a weird concept in a post-17th Amendment world... since, uhh, states don't "vote," people do. 

It's true that with popular elections of senators, some of the original purpose of the senate is gone, but other things, such as 6 year terms, still give senators a greater level of independence from the electorate, to act in ways they feel are best for their state.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »

I am well aware of the Connecticut Compromise and why it was implemented, but that does not preclude me from advocating for change in a system that no longer makes sense in the modern day.

Then let's give the House the EXACT same powers as the Senate. The House should have a say over judges/cabinet appointees/treaties—why should the Senate (the more undemocratic of the two chambers) be the more powerful of the two?

Or swap their powers maybe? I mean, there are a whole lot of measures in the middle to talk about before going full Palpatine.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »

Incredibly disingenuous post. We all understand why it was implemented in the 18th century, but that doesn't mean we have to support its continued existence in the 21st century.

The Founding Fathers weren't divinely inspired, people. Just because they supported something way back then doesn't necessarily mean it was right then or now.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »

Incredibly disingenuous post. We all understand why it was implemented in the 18th century, but that doesn't mean we have to support its continued existence in the 21st century.

The Founding Fathers weren't divinely inspired, people. Just because they supported something way back then doesn't necessarily mean it was right then or now.

Old ideas sometimes work better, because they didn't have the noise and fury of everyday life in the 21st Century.  It's why the Tao Te Ching is still relevant, or the works of Aristotle.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »

When did people start bringing up post-coup government reformation fantasies as legit political platforms?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »

Or swap their powers maybe? I mean, there are a whole lot of measures in the middle to talk about before going full Palpatine.

Palpy is my favorite Star Wars character...

In all seriousness though, everything should be on the table in order to make the government more responsive to the people. If the Senate were to become an advisory body (along the lines of the House of Lords), then I do not think many people would have a problem with the institution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies