IceSpear was right!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  IceSpear was right!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: IceSpear was right!  (Read 6407 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »

IceSpear is never wrong. Look at the Stacey Abrams, Joe Donnelly, and the Ojeda campaign. Time and time again, rural Whites have proven that instead of choosing candidates that in a sense are them, they’ll take the austerity loving fascist alternative.

For too long have many of the most clueless of them chosen to lead this country to the ground with them, time to double down on the true grateful working class. A working class, that while adaptable to the times, knows when to use solidarity to beat all the hits they receive and not go railing against trans lesbian latinas. Time to go forward in being the party of the working man spectrum of multigendered and possibly non-conforming individuals, patriots against tyranny, and those that believe in reason. In doing so, this overlapping coalition must battle the forces of ignorance, evident and self-declaring trollish absolutism, and selfish hucksters.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »

Shocking that a woman with an anti-Christian hate flag in her Twitter username couldn't resonate with Christian America. How could this be?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:59 PM »

If I were to list people who would be the most likely to benefit from left wing fiscal policies, the suburbs would be towards the bottom of the list.
Yes and no. It depends on what you consider left wing fiscal policies. To start out, any opposition to free trade and more immigration decimates the suburbs, by a much wider margin than a 2% tax cut can make up. These places are built around population growth, global commerce, and global talent. Secondly, imagine your average young family living somewhere like Irvine, CA. The parents both work, making 120k/year between the two of them, and the mom is pregnant. Payed family leave and universal preschool is way more important to these people than a tax cut. Affordable college and a high quality education for their children is way more important than a tax cut. Another billion spent to ease the commute up to Los Angeles is worth $100 more/year in sales taxes. Affluent educated suburbanites can afford to pay another $5,000/year in taxes. They can't afford bad schools, bad commutes, a bad business climate, or a bankrupt government. You won't get M4Aand big labor support out of these places, but you'll see some big government impulses.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 11:48:18 PM »

People making six figures don't need to worry about paid family leave. Their companies offer it to both men and women nowadays. And at that level of income, they probably ought to send their kids to private school to keep them away from the undesirables. And I'm so sure, they want extra competition for their children in college applications and the job market.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 12:00:37 AM »

I could say a lot about this, but I guess I'll just keep it simple.

So, for example, anybody who has spent considerable time in field in predominantly-Latino and/or nascent immigrant communities will tell you that you can't just pop in and start generating the kinds of meaningful interactions that'll produce votes. There's an element of community and trust that must be there long-term to generate the kinds of conversations that get beyond the superficial and the groupthink.

The same can definitely be said about rural communities, especially when it's an urban LGBT organizer who's flown in for 4 months to work in hostile territory and who may or may not even know how to effectively communicate with these voters.
Seriously, Adam Griffin is the best part of this forum.

In addition, I also think simply retreating from rural areas and abandoning all existing infrastructure is a surefire way to bleed even more voters. Again, 20% is better than 0%.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 12:18:16 AM »

I noticed back in the 2013 immigration debate, that Iowa came back as the most hostile of the swing states to a path to citizenship. It was only swing state at the time where a plurality said they were against according to one poll.

For years Grassley opposed the comprehensive bills and Harkin voted no on the 2007 bill. I think there is a lesson there are about this state when it comes to that issue. 
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 12:21:19 AM »

Rural areas were always generally republican the trend away has from the Democrats are rural areas with an industrial past. This has been due to the decline of unions and industries which resulted in their democratic vote. Economic anxiety leads to racial anxiety and historically the working class in every election have been more democratic than the middle class. The reason the WWC (pre-2016) was not even more democratic was due to them being concentrated in conservative, southern states.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 12:24:26 AM »

Dems didn't win OH gov race, Cordray lacked charisma. Booker can certainly win OH, AZ, and IA in 2020. Beshear and Hood are  running ahead of where Conway was in 2015 and the GOP legislatures overrode Bevin's veto on school funding.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 12:26:03 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2018, 12:29:19 AM by Old School Republican »

On Immigration it truly depends. Low skilled and Illegal Immigration Immigration Benefits Rural Areas far more than Suburban Areas , while High Skilled Immigration benefits Suburban Areas far more than Rural Areas.

Also rural areas are necessarily more anti-immigrant than Suburban Areas, so for example if you consider prop 187 anti-immigrant(I dont) it was Orange County where that prop oriented : https://www.ocregister.com/2014/11/08/20-years-after-prop-187-oc-group-that-helped-create-it-is-pushing-for-same-goals/

In 2006 During the Immigration Debate it was Duncan Hunter and Republicans from Border Counties that stopped it.

I would say Rural Areas are more socially conservative but really dont care about immigration, while Suburban Areas are more polarized on the issue

Lastly Its also not just Suburban CA that changed this is how CA changed as a whole since 2000:

Literally, almost all of CA has trended blue since 2000 and even in the Rural Areas Republicans cant perform the way how they used too back in 2000

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »

I noticed back in the 2013 immigration debate, that Iowa came back as the most hostile of the swing states to a path to citizenship. It was only swing state at the time where a plurality said they were against according to one poll.

For years Grassley opposed the comprehensive bills and Harkin voted no on the 2007 bill. I think there is a lesson there are about this state when it comes to that issue. 

That they're a bunch of hypocrites?  I guarantee that anyplace in Iowa that has any involvement with livestock/poultry and the processing thereof, Hispanics will magically appear.  They'll employee them but they don't want them to be citizens.  Is that the lesson?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:27 AM »

Her and the people she was talking to are all dumb, identity politics is stupid. Anyone who wants to help certain groups based on the racial/gender/sexual orientation/religion/income, etc composition of those groups is a sheep who is being played by the man.

Be an individual and look out for yourself. Don't trust your "group" to look out for you, because they won't.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 12:40:10 AM »

This really is just an anecdotal story from a bitter campaign worker from a losing candidate and several parts of her story are likely just bs. First off, if you know anything about social desirability bias or even basic psychology you would know that, even if they believed it, nobody would just tell a random stranger who showed up on their doorstep that they hated women. Second, this smearing of wcw (especially in the Midwest and Rust Belt) is just sour grapes from bitter Hillary supporters who ignore that many of these people voted heavily for Obama in 2008 and 2012
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2018, 12:46:55 AM »

Rural areas, unless they have a large immigrant population for food processing purposes, tend to be much older than average and more disabled than average.  The bright and capable have all runoff to the big city, unless they inherited the family farm, and even then, they probably sold  the farm to Big Farma, and ran off to the big city anyway.  Tends to make the people left cranky and bitter.

I do agree that the field organizer from the OP was a rather poor choice.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2018, 12:47:09 AM »

Because someone who has a link to donate to her PayPal account on a recent Tweet is someone I want to glean knowledge from.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 12:50:20 AM »

It saddens me that too many people seem too far gone even in some Dem strongholds but the tweets in the OP are stupid, partially this.

When did Bernie Sanders say Dems need to abandon the LQBT community?

FTR, the two counties referenced above aren't even ancestrally D BTW.

I'll never understand why so much of Twitter is personally bothered by Bernie's rural outreach though. How does it affect them in terms of policy?

He didn't, but that doesn't stop the  Bernie Derangement Syndrome democrats from convincing themselves that he did say that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 12:52:32 AM »

I do agree that the field organizer from the OP was a rather poor choice.

True, they don't seem like the best organizer. Then again, trying to sell Hillary to rural whites is like trying to sell overpriced ice to Eskimos.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 12:55:49 AM »

This really is just an anecdotal story from a bitter campaign worker from a losing candidate and several parts of her story are likely just bs. First off, if you know anything about social desirability bias or even basic psychology you would know that, even if they believed it, nobody would just tell a random stranger who showed up on their doorstep that they hated women. Second, this smearing of wcw (especially in the Midwest and Rust Belt) is just sour grapes from bitter Hillary supporters who ignore that many of these people voted heavily for Obama in 2008 and 2012

Rural areas tend to swing against either party in power after some point because they are almost perpetually in decline, you can tout Hope or MAGA, but many of these places have been on a losing streak since the 70s or the 50s or the 30s.

But yes the OP make me almost seem subtle by comparison
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 01:04:53 AM »

Rural areas tend to swing against either party in power after some point because they are almost perpetually in decline, you can tout Hope or MAGA, but many of these places have been on a losing streak since the 70s or the 50s or the 30s.

Yes but unlike, when W. Was president or Reagan/Bush were president, the modern democrats seem inclined to spit in the face and smear many of the same people who had part of their coalition for years as racist.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:23 AM »

On a side note; I miss the 2013/14 incarnation of Hillary fans who were convinced that she could bring rural whites back to the fold and win in Appalachia as her Husband had. I miss the Icespear who genuinely believed Hillary could win Arkansas
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 01:17:35 AM »

Yes but unlike, when W. Was president or Reagan/Bush were president, the modern democrats seem inclined to spit in the face and smear many of the same people who had part of their coalition for years as racist.

Which came first, the Trump or the racist hick?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 01:24:16 AM »

Why on earth does twitter comment based on hypothetical interaction of random person on a political campaign give any definitive result on WWC ?

Is the sample statistically homogenous so that it can be interpreted for all WWC ? Are the people posting in twitter not biased/had flaws in interactions? Was the initial sample itself too R friendly ??

You can ask a dozen questions & this looks like start anecdotal evidence at best !
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 01:47:27 AM »

I could say a lot about this, but I guess I'll just keep it simple.

So, for example, anybody who has spent considerable time in field in predominantly-Latino and/or nascent immigrant communities will tell you that you can't just pop in and start generating the kinds of meaningful interactions that'll produce votes. There's an element of community and trust that must be there long-term to generate the kinds of conversations that get beyond the superficial and the groupthink.

The same can definitely be said about rural communities, especially when it's an urban LGBT organizer who's flown in for 4 months to work in hostile territory and who may or may not even know how to effectively communicate with these voters.

Fantastic post!

I’d also add a few points.

1. The suburban vote isn’t the same demographic of voters as it was 30 years ago. The Reagan suburbs aren’t the Clinton suburbs. The urban population is spreading out into the suburbs, increasingly diversifying and incorporating them into a more urban lifestyle. That translates into higher housing prices, more renters, more minorities, and a populace more inclined to liberal and left-wing politics.

2. Rural areas are continuing to get worse economically. Since the Great Recession, job growth has been abysmal in this part of America while it has improved significantly in urban and suburban America. If you think your ability to land a decent, secure, and well paying job is difficult in an urbanized area, it’s way, way harder in rural America. Outside of retail and a few other industries (mostly low wage), steady work doesn’t even exist in many rural areas. And it hasn’t always been this way (which is a significant factor).

3. Rural White voters are often more socially conservative. But, if Democrats and/or other leftwing political organizers have a history or at least a foothold in the community, then these voters aren’t out of reach, even for a candidate with a left-wing social agenda. Some rural communities will require a lot more effort than others to break through to; that’s just a fact. But, most aren’t simply lost causes.

4. In economically struggling areas, whether it’s among minorities in urban areas or Whites in rural areas, liberal social issues simply won’t have the appeal that they do to wealthier people. Nobody cares if an LGBT person is or can be the CEO of some company or about minority news anchors or whether some celebrity had gender reassignment surgery or if somebody said something -phobic. They’re more concerned with their next meal, how they’ll clothe their children, whether they’ll keep the lights on, or if the landlord will jack up the rent at the next lease signing. And that applies to the LGBT, racial/ethnic minorities, and all other groups struggling to keep their heads above water in these communities. Those are issues that transcend identity politics nonsense; if you’re a working class woman, a $15 minimum wage helps you more than whether or not the gender pay gap among CEOs exists or not.

5. It’s not the rural White people who own the private prisons that pay their (largely minority) prison population less than $1 per hour, nor do they own the companies like Whole Foods (owned by Bezos, who also owns Amazon (where workers pee in bottles to avoid punishments for bathroom breaks) and the Washington Post (which helps promote the identity politics agenda)). It’s not the rural White people that own companies or make corporate decisions to shift jobs overseas to benefit investors, exploit child labor and complain that it’ll cost more money if they have to reveal child labor practices in their supply chains (Nestle), nor are they the ones who made it that Millennials are now poorer than their parents at the same time wealth inequality is soaring. It’s also not the rural Whites who’re the police departments in urban areas systematically targeting minorities, nor are they the legislators who’ve written discriminatory laws (like the War on Drugs) or the wealthier folks that hide behind the blue line while encroaching upon and gentrifying poorer neighborhoods.

Stop ing bashing rural White voters for the systemic racism and socioeconomic failures and exploitation being engineered and enacted by the elites that rule over all of us. The folks who push liberal identity politics have far more in common with the reactionary that blames poor immigrants and the breakdown of traditional families for the working class person’s plight than they’d ever want to acknowledge.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 02:22:41 AM »

He didn't, but that doesn't stop the  Bernie Derangement Syndrome democrats from convincing themselves that he did say that.

Must have been another Bernie Sanders the one who said that Democrats should leave behind "identity politics" (embracing a Republican talking point) and then endorsed an anti-abortion candidate.

BTW, has anyone read the entire twitter thread and not only the tweets I posted? Because I see a lot of idiotic questions and assumptions that would have been answered and refuted if you actually did.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 02:28:28 AM »

Terrific! 8 years of crazy AOC pushing for crazy policies and we're winning both rural Iowa and white suburbans Smiley.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 02:33:16 AM »

Terrific! 8 years of crazy AOC pushing for crazy policies and we're winning both rural Iowa and white suburbans Smiley.

Who is we dude? You are from effing Netherlands.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies