Midwest Senatorial Runoff Canceled
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:43:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Senatorial Runoff Canceled
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Midwest Senatorial Runoff Canceled  (Read 1334 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2005, 04:13:06 PM »

Due to the fact that both eligible candidates are rebels, it seems pretty pointless to hold an election where it was impossible for anyone to win Wink

Thus, no voting booth.  Unless you really want me to.  It would look pretty funny Wink
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »

Why not hold a new election with new candidates?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 04:27:45 PM »

Why not hold a new election with new candidates?

That's a good idea, but it would be a bit too hasty to do that this weekend.  Maybe next weekend?

So next weekend I suppose we'll have a Senatorial election Smiley

I'll make the filing deadline... umm... Wednesday 11:00 PM CST, election lasts from Thursday 11:00PM CST-Sunday 11:00 PM CST.  (This is rather unprecedented so I'll set my own rules, hmph Wink)

I obviously won't be on during those times Tongue but Midwesterners are used to annoying marquees Wink
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »

Everett for Senate!!! Grin Cheesy Smiley
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:08:21 PM »

Um, Daniel is now a duel-citizen, hopefully he can still get elected as a Senator.
WiseGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 05:18:39 PM »

Um, Daniel is now a duel-citizen, hopefully he can still get elected as a Senator.

Yeah, why can't he be elected???
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 05:53:23 PM »

No, Atlasia doesn't recognize West Atlasia, therefore his registration can't be counted Sad
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 05:55:20 PM »

No, Atlasia doesn't recognize West Atlasia, therefore his registration can't be counted Sad

Technically speaking, there is nothing illegal in Atlasia with regards to recognizing a country that Atlasia doesn't, and given that he registered in Atlasia (ignoring the fact that he also registered in West Atlasia), his registration should count.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 05:58:04 PM »

Technically speaking, there is nothing illegal in Atlasia with regards to recognizing a country that Atlasia doesn't, and given that he registered in Atlasia (ignoring the fact that he also registered in West Atlasia), his registration should count.

But he's a REBEL!  Shocked
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 06:07:00 PM »

I'll have my cake and eat it too! Cheesy
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 06:08:38 PM »

Which is, legally speaking, not illegal.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »

So can DanielX run?
WiseGuy

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 06:28:05 PM »

Excuse me, the President said anyone who came back to Atlasia would not be excluded from running for office or voting.  Plus, West Atlasia is probably going to become an entirely different separate micronation, and CheeseWhiz even asked if we should change the name.  His registration is legal.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 06:45:24 PM »

I can't really see anything wrong with allowing him to run again.  All this amounts to is just an excuse to not let somebody play in the game.  He can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.
WiseGuy

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 06:52:08 PM »

I can't really see anything wrong with allowing him to run again.  All this amounts to is just an excuse to not let somebody play in the game.

Agreed.  In fact, I'm begining to wonder if there isn't political motivation behind this action.  ILV has repeatedly said he's "scared of libertarians," and almost definitely is happy with populist liberal Lewis Trondheim representing him rather than Conservative/Libertarian DanielX.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »

I can't really see anything wrong with allowing him to run again.  All this amounts to is just an excuse to not let somebody play in the game.

Agreed.  In fact, I'm begining to wonder if there isn't political motivation behind this action.  ILV has repeatedly said he's "scared of libertarians," and almost definitely is happy with populist liberal Lewis Trondheim representing him rather than Conservative/Libertarian DanielX.

Behind what action?
WiseGuy

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 06:56:33 PM »

Behind what action?

Chancelling the run off, and saying DanielX can't run/DanielX's registration isn't valid.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 07:05:55 PM »

What's the point of a run-off if one of the candidates left Atlasia?  Cancelling the run-off and holding a new election works fine.
WiseGuy

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 07:11:36 PM »

What's the point of a run-off if one of the candidates left Atlasia?  Cancelling the run-off and holding a new election works fine.

But he also said that DanielX's registration was invalid.  Plus, If a run off was planned, I think it should continue.  He could run it between DanielX and write-ins, and I don't remember him saying anything about a new election.  He was just going to leave Lewis in until the next election in Febuary, IIRC.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 07:12:05 PM »

But he also said that DanielX's registration was invalid.  Plus, If a run off was planned, I think it should continue.  He could run it between DanielX and write-ins, and I don't remember him saying anything about a new election.  He was just going to leave Lewis in until the next election in Febuary, IIRC.

Write-ins are prohibited in run-off elections, so a run-off would be totally pointless.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 07:14:43 PM »

The run-off may not be "canceled"; there was technically a legal requirement for it to be held this weekend. (I'm not blaming anybody for not holding the run-off, just noting that it should have been held.)

I would interpret CheeseWhiz's decision to leave Atlasia as a concession of victory, and deem DanielX the victor. If DanielX also declines, then we need not have a new election; the power to fill the vacancy is in the hands of the Governor alone. (But nothing prevents the Governor from holding an unofficial "election" to choose an appointee.)
WiseGuy

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 07:15:09 PM »

Write-ins are prohibited in run-off elections, so a run-off would be totally pointless.

Oh, yes.  I knew that.  I don't know what I was thinking.  But, yet again, you ignored the latter half of my post.  No new election was scheduled, IIRC, and he said DanielX's registration was invalid.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »

I didn't reply to those points because I have no comment- it's ILV's decision not to grant the registration rights to the rebels.  I'm not sure what I'd do in such a position myself, either.  I've been critical of Verin's handling of the election but I do not believe his decision to deny registration rights to the rebels is politically motivated against libertarians.
WiseGuy

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 07:21:11 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2005, 07:28:59 PM by Ron Dubya »

I didn't reply to those points because I have no comment- it's ILV's decision not to grant the registration rights to the rebels.  I'm not sure what I'd do in such a position myself, either.  I've been critical of Verin's handling of the election but I do not believe his decision to deny registration rights to the rebels is politically motivated against libertarians.

The President has already said voting rights and the right to run for election would not be taken away.  I might be wrong, but I thought Presidential policy over ruled any decision by the SoFA.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 07:25:44 PM »

This is starting to sound more than a little dumb, but here goes anyway.  Atlasia doesn't recognize 'West Atlasia', so all of the registrations to said place were not only invalid but ignored.  This means that all the rebels are still Atlasian citizens.

Both CheeseWhiz and DanielX are eligible for the run-off.  But if one or the other concedes the election, then the other wins and a run-off isn't necessary.  Or, if neither concedes, or says anything at all, both names should be put into the run-off anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies