Opinion of World Champ Magnus Carlsen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:39:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of World Champ Magnus Carlsen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Positive

neutral or negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Opinion of World Champ Magnus Carlsen  (Read 605 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »

He is currently competing to be world champion against Fabiano Caruana.

After twelve draws, he has now won the last three games. He looks like a winner to me.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2018, 02:08:01 PM by mvd10 »

FF, but the way he drew game 12 was just cowardly. Carlsen was in a better position and Caruana was under some time pressure, but Carlsen offered a draw because he bet on the tiebreaks (Carlsen is by far the best rapid player in the world, Caruana isn't even in the top 10 there lol). We already have a world rapid chess championship anyway. But other than that Carlsen remains a huge FF.

I'm not even complaining about the 12 draws btw. I didn't really follow it, but I'm sure some of these games were gems even though they ended in a draw. Draws can be beautiful too Tongue.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »

My opinion: he's a pretty good chess player.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:51:39 PM »

Carlsen's a great chess player at all time controls - classical, rapid, and blitz. They each take different skills, for example Hikaru Nakamura is great at high speeds but is notably weaker at classical chess that has a longer time to calculate moves. Carlsen took a lot of flak from other grandmasters for his game 12 draw but he knew he was much better at the other formats than Caruana. Essentially he wanted to get out of the classical game to a different one.

There are world championships separately for rapid and blitz, but since the current format uses rapid and blitz as tiebreakers, so technically there isn't one currently. Also the fixed length formt the counts draws at 1/2 gives a significant edge to a player that could hop out to an early lead, then draw the remainder of the games to win.

I would like to see a pure classical championship based on Jose Raul Capablanca's "London Rules" proposal from 1922. The first player with six wins would be the champion, and draws wouldn't count. That forces more decisive games but doesn't given an early leader too large of an advantage.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »

He's the best Chess Player of the Modern Era, by far.

I would've liked to see him go up against Bobby Fischer or Paul Morphy, but that isn't possible without a time machine.

On the other hand, seeing him go up against Garry Kasparov would be quite interesting...but I think that's already happened at some point.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »

My opinion: he's a pretty good chess player.

And Grand Canyon is a hole in the ground in Arizona.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies