Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:58:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 74
Author Topic: Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)  (Read 168883 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: February 27, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »

Has McCready said if he’s running or not?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #851 on: February 27, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »

I mean its basically certain considering he is actively fundraising off it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #852 on: February 27, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2019, 05:26:16 PM by Clinton/Lee Carter/Trump Anti-Bernie voter »

I thought Cooper could do it after 90 days? Why wouldn't he do that considering that Mcready would have a name rec advantage?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #853 on: February 27, 2019, 05:17:20 PM »

I figured, but has he not officially announced yet?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #854 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »

I figured, but has he not officially announced yet?

Yes Sestak
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #855 on: February 27, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »

Ah, ok. Thanks. Missed that.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #856 on: February 27, 2019, 10:15:23 PM »

This seems like an absurdly long campaign for one year of a congressional term.  Ten weeks between the primary and the run-off is just dumb.  France holds their general election run-off for president two weeks after the first round...why not at least do that?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #857 on: February 27, 2019, 10:16:43 PM »

This seems like an absurdly long campaign for one year of a congressional term.  Ten weeks between the primary and the run-off is just dumb.  France holds their general election run-off for president two weeks after the first round...why not at least do that?
At least it isn't the Balderson vs. O'Connor special this past August...for an election that would be held a mere three months later!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #858 on: February 28, 2019, 12:29:44 AM »

I love how Jimrtex considers the tweet that highlights how Harris nearly committed perjury and had to backtrack at the hearing for whether election fraud was committed as something he classifies to be about "other issues" somehow less important to the case than his long-winded rants about minutiae surrounding other people involved.
The tweet that Brittain quoted had nothing to do with what I wrote.

And I remembered a couple of things I had forgot.

Did you find it off-putting when I responded to your post with information on a completely different aspect of the thread’s subject, just because I thought it was more important and relevant and what I wanted to talk about?
Not at all - what you wrote was irrelevant, and I was just noting that I was not responding to what you had written.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #859 on: February 28, 2019, 12:38:52 AM »

I thought Cooper could do it after 90 days? Why wouldn't he do that considering that Mcready would have a name rec advantage?

The NCSBOE voided the election. There is not a vacancy, just an unfinished election.'

Cooper likely issued writs for the general election and the NCSBOE takes over from there.

McCready's lawyer (and Clinton bagman) Marc Elias has suggested the possibility of challenging the law that says there will be a primary. McCready won't make a decision until Elias and Pelosi tell him what to think.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #860 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:46 AM »

Because state officials have to send ballots overseas 45 days before an election.

So an April 30 primary. A couple of weeks to count and canvass the vote, a couple of weeks to prepare ballots, and 6-1/2 weeks for ballots to be sent overseas and returned. That is 10 weeks.

It is 9 weeks between the runoff and the general. Perhaps the runoff was delayed a week so that it would not be two days before July 4th.

Alternatively, candidates can hit up donors for $2800 per election. 10 weeks gives them more time. Also media consultants want more assured employment.  If elections were over quickly they would be unemployed most of the time.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #861 on: March 01, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »

DCCC poll
https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000169-38b8-dce6-ad69-3fff83b50001

50 46 Mcready vs Generic R.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #862 on: March 01, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »

Mccready beating Generic R already would be proof this is already Lean D, but DCCC is most certainly biased.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #863 on: March 01, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

I want to believe.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #864 on: March 01, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #865 on: March 01, 2019, 12:20:56 PM »

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #866 on: March 01, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #867 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:01 PM »

I think whether or not McCready wins is dependent on if Dems can keep their special election overperformances going. I mean, keep in mind that Harris, who was a tainted and weak candidate in his own right even before the scandal, probably won even without the fraud during a D+9 Democratic wave.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #868 on: March 01, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »

LMAO JUST REALIZED. Is the poll literally fake?

Look at the date

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000169-38b8-dce6-ad69-3fff83b50001
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #869 on: March 02, 2019, 05:45:02 AM »

Have the primary, runoff and GE dates already been set for NC-9, as the thread title shows ?

I think only the date for the other special election has been set, right ?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #870 on: March 02, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »

Have the primary, runoff and GE dates already been set for NC-9, as the thread title shows ?

Yes, I don’t have it handy but all the dates for NC9 have been set.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #871 on: March 02, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »

It would be if it were March 32nd.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #872 on: March 02, 2019, 08:39:03 PM »

That is correct.

In the case of an actual vacancy, such as has occurred in NC-3, the governor calls the special election.

In the case of NC-9, and two other local elections, the November elections were voided. At some time, Cooper would have issued writs for the general election (that he has no discretion as to the dates of that election is immaterial). The NCSBOE has oversight over an election, once the governor has ordered an election.

In cases of extreme misfeasance or malfeasance, they can call a do-over as they have done in these three elections (and possibly two others). The NCSBOE can only take official action in open meetings, and they have a meeting scheduled for Monday, March 4.

An interesting twist is that in December, the legislature added a requirement that a congressional do-over include a primary. This was included in the bill that reconstituted the NCSBOE. Without that change, there would be a rematch of the general election between Harris, McCready, and Scott.

Mark Elias has suggested that McCready might challenge that change. I suspect that the Democrats on the NCSBOE won't want to appear to be political hacks and vote to skip the primary (and they will get sued if they do, which will delay the election even further). McCready could then sue, but that would make him look like a political hack.

So I assume that the NCSBOE might adopt the same schedule as for NC-3. But the filing period for that election is March 4 through March 8. You can't have a retroactive filing period, and it is unlikely that you can have a filing period without due notice.

Absentee ballots for a federal election have to be sent to overseas and military voters, 45 days before an election. There are 53 days between March 8 and April 30. That leaves only 8 days to print ballots and send them out before that deadline.

So that says the NCSBOE will have to set a different date for the NC-9 primary.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #873 on: March 04, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »

Politico:

North Carolina Republicans will select a new nominee in May for the election do-over in a now-vacant congressional district after the state's board of elections on Monday ordered a new primary.

The primary in North Carolina's 9th District, which will be open to new candidates, will be held on May 14. The general election is scheduled for Sept. 10 — but if no candidate in a party primary earns greater than 30 percent of the vote, a primary runoff will take place on Sept. 10, and the general will be moved to Nov. 5.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #874 on: March 04, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »

Yes, I don’t have it handy but all the dates for NC9 have been set.

Well, apparently they weren't, but are now.  According to https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/north-carolina-sets-new-primaries-general-election-in-scandal-plagued-9th-congressional-district/2019/03/04/ccfec0a8-3ea1-11e9-9361-301ffb5bd5e6_story.html, primaries will be May 14.  If no runoffs are needed, the special general election will be Sep. 10.  If a runoff is needed (no candidate gets >30%) then that would take place on Sep. 10, and the GE would be pushed back to November.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies