Kansas 1930 Governor's Race.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:33:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas 1930 Governor's Race.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas 1930 Governor's Race.  (Read 559 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2018, 05:46:41 PM by Barraco Clintez »

I just learned about this over the weekend and I can't find any thread on Atlas that ever discussed this rather amazing story:

So, just like this year there was a major independent candidate in the Governor's race, only in 1930 the independent did much better

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=20&year=1930&f=0&off=5&elect=0

In fact, he may have won, except he filed so late (in September) that he had to run as a write-in candidate and 3 days before the election the KS Attorney General in a obvious effort to kneecap his vote declared that any votes that didn't have John R. Brinkley written exactly as such, should not be counted.

Who is this John R. Brinkley who came out of nowhere to almost win the Kansas Governorship?  Basically, he's a character so absurd, you would have thought he walked out of a Coen brothers movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Brinkley

In short, he was a con-artist with a fake medical degree who discovered the power of radio and got rich off of a medical "treatment"  that would restore men's vitality via the power of goat testicles.  He ran on a depression style campaign that promised a lake in every county (really), but his real motivation for running was that the state had revoked his medical license and he wanted to appoint a new board to get it back.  (California had actually issued a warrant for his arrest in 1924 for medical quackery but the Gov of Kansas refused to extradite him because he was too valuable to the state). 

Brinkley owned his own radio station to promote his various medical rackets, his love for Jesus, and a popular country music musician of the day who campaigned with him.

After losing he ran again in 1932 again coming up just short despite not being a write-in candidate this time.  Even though the vote percentages were similar, the maps for the two elections were wildly different.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=20&year=1932&f=0&off=5&elect=0

His story goes on as he flees to the Texas border and would broadcast from Mexico in an effort to thwart the feds who are determined to prosecute him one way or the other.  There have been a couple of books written, a documentary  titled "Nuts!" and a podcast that got on Richard Linklater's radar and he's developing a movie with Robert Downey Jr.

Of course, as a politic nerd, I'd love to know more about the two elections.  I know things could get a little wild during the depression, but this was just wack and the voter shifts between the two elections  are just a whole other baffling dimension.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »

Now that’s an interesting election. Thanks for sharing! I also learned that Kansas used to have two year terms for Governor.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »

Great Depression + environmental catastrophe = exceptional willingness to vote for crazy people promising radical change. 
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »

Reply All did a fantastic episode on this guy called Man of the People. One of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:49:37 PM »

Reply All did a fantastic episode on this guy called Man of the People. One of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard.

Yeah, that's a pretty good podcast.  I like the little story at the end where the father asks his son if they learned about Brinkley in school, the son said no, and the dad said "good".  Can't imagine that once you get past Dodge City and Bloody Kansas that there's much to capture one's interest in a Kansas history class, so I do wonder if Brinkley was basically wiped from the history books.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:05:14 PM »

You know, Kansas has grown on me. I regret my previous characterization of it as one of the worst States in the Union.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies