Update: U.S. Gymnastics meets their end, files for bankruptcy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:43:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Update: U.S. Gymnastics meets their end, files for bankruptcy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update: U.S. Gymnastics meets their end, files for bankruptcy  (Read 1282 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2018, 08:20:09 PM by PSOL »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gymnastics-usa/usoc-aware-of-sex-abuse-since-early-1990s-court-documents-idUSKCN1NS20D
You must be logged in to read this quote.
30 years of abuse known and not a peep of concern. Absolutely sickening.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:25:07 AM »

How the hell do people that know this is going on do nothing to stop it and not kill themselves?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 09:16:25 PM »

The minimum penalty here should be no U.S Olympic Athletes of any kind at the 2020 Summer Games or the 2022 Winter Games.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 09:19:53 PM »

The minimum penalty here should be no U.S Olympic Athletes of any kind at the 2020 Summer Games or the 2022 Winter Games.

So we should punish athletes by depriving them of the greatest moment in their career, for a crime they had absolutely nothing to do with?  Makes sense.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »

How the hell do people that know this is going on do nothing to stop it and not kill themselves?
They don’t see a problem with it so they can keep on winning or molesting athletes. Why change a system that benefits the people running the show.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 11:37:34 PM »

why?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 11:46:07 PM »

This does nothing except hurt hard working women who excel at their sport. People keep proposing this as if it will actually accomplish anything.

I rather take the suggestions of people like Aly Raisman and Simon Biles - actual women who still participate in the sport and have been seen as leaders in calling for changes.

I also support eliminating USA Gymnastics (the actual org that is responsible for the despicable cover up) as the governing body for Gymnastics and replace with a completely new governing body. (Link: https://247sports.com/Article/USA-Gymnastics-Olympic-Committee-begins-process-to-remove-as-National-Governing-Body-124310995/)

This is one of the few times where I support burning down the system and starting over. USA Gymnastics has permanently stained themselves and has proven to be incompetent and unwilling to change its shady behaviors.

Time for a new national governing body for gymnastics - one that will protect women and children.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:46:59 PM »

Also, the USOC needs to be audited and investigated by the feds as well, imo. This is hardly the first scandal to rock the overall Olympic governing body.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »

Also, the USOC needs to be audited and investigated by the feds as well, imo. This is hardly the first scandal to rock the overall Olympic governing body.
yes yes and yes
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 12:16:08 AM »

This does nothing except hurt hard working women who excel at their sport. People keep proposing this as if it will actually accomplish anything.

I rather take the suggestions of people like Aly Raisman and Simon Biles - actual women who still participate in the sport and have been seen as leaders in calling for changes.

I also support eliminating USA Gymnastics (the actual org that is responsible for the despicable cover up) as the governing body for Gymnastics and replace with a completely new governing body. (Link: https://247sports.com/Article/USA-Gymnastics-Olympic-Committee-begins-process-to-remove-as-National-Governing-Body-124310995/)

This is one of the few times where I support burning down the system and starting over. USA Gymnastics has permanently stained themselves and has proven to be incompetent and unwilling to change its shady behaviors.

Time for a new national governing body for gymnastics - one that will protect women and children.

Do that too.

But the IOC needs to levy a punishment on the USOC, and if means U.S athletes not being able to go the Olympics than so be it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gymnastics-usa/usa-gymnastics-reeling-from-abuse-claims-files-for-bankruptcy-idUSKBN1O42NK
Good riddance. Sucks that the organization won’t pay up to the victims though. I hope the victims get some solace in their lives.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »

This, or something very close to it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »

Well at the moment, no gymnasts can compete in the 2020 Olympics. To do so an American gymnastics organization has to be a member of the USOC (and FIG). USAG was kicked out of the USOC after the Gymnastics Worlds late this year.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 07:58:00 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gymnastics-usa/usa-gymnastics-reeling-from-abuse-claims-files-for-bankruptcy-idUSKBN1O42NK
Good riddance. Sucks that the organization won’t pay up to the victims though. I hope the victims get some solace in their lives.

I'm involved in rugby in the U.S. Governing bodies really have no money because everything they take in is earmarked for people. They can have large positive sides of the ledger but are cash-poor. If they do have a lot of money sitting in a bank account somewhere, that's a red flag of another kind showing how badly run the organization is.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »

Wow. So they're actually is an organization nearly as corrupt and non-responsive as the ioc itself. Who knew?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »

Is it just me or is literally everything about international sports utterly and massively corrupt on just every level?

Jesus.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »

Is it just me or is literally everything about international sports utterly and massively corrupt on just every level?

Jesus.

It definitely isn't you.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

Jesus.

Craziest one is chess: the international Chess organisation was controlled for about two decades by a mad ex-soviet oligarch who believed that aliens abducted him and spent millions building an entire chess themed city to honour the game of chess (he also made chess compulsory at every level of schooling).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »

Jesus.

It definitely isn't you.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »

Do that too.

But the IOC needs to levy a punishment on the USOC, and if means U.S athletes not being able to go the Olympics than so be it.
Why should all the US Governing bodies be punished for the actions of one. Each organization is separately run. Why should USA Swimming, USA Water Polo, USA Volleyball, etc be punished for something they didn't know about or having anything to do with. I'm fine with punishing USA Gymnastics but the others weren't culpable.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 09:16:38 PM »

Do that too.

Why should all the US Governing bodies be punished for the actions of one. Each organization is separately run. Why should USA Swimming, USA Water Polo, USA Volleyball, etc be punished for something they didn't know about or having anything to do with. I'm fine with punishing USA Gymnastics but the others weren't culpable.

As the court documents proved, the upper echelons of the US Olympic Committee knew about this for almost twenty years and did nothing. Therefore, the entire US Olympic Committee should be facing some form of punishment.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 08:56:22 AM »

Jesus.

Craziest one is chess: the international Chess organisation was controlled for about two decades by a mad ex-soviet oligarch who believed that aliens abducted him and spent millions building an entire chess themed city to honour the game of chess (he also made chess compulsory at every level of schooling).

Well, if you're a chess guy, the last item is a plus. As far as educating students, getting them to have to think in what is a recreational pursuit is hardly the worst thing in the world. (I'm aware of the individual you speak of and know what he is.)

FIDE though has nothing on FIFA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies