American 'killed in India by endangered Andamans tribe' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:57:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  American 'killed in India by endangered Andamans tribe' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American 'killed in India by endangered Andamans tribe'  (Read 2932 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: November 21, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46286215

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That moron was basically a walking biological weapon, so I have very hard time to feel any sympathy for him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »

RIP FF.

May you enter the arms of Jesus Christ and live in His Glory eternally now.

Putting the entire tribe at risk of annihilation by carrying germs that are harmless to us but likely deadly to them makes one a FF?

BRTD's approach reminds me of the Holy Inquisition in their quest to save souls even if that meant burning people at stake.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »

There's ways to safely approach them. Hope he brought a doctor's mask.

Yes, because there's no way you could get infected with anything if you wear a doctor's mask Roll Eyes

There's a reason physicians who are treating patients that had their immunity system wiped out are doing this under sterile, strictly isolated conditions. And the Sentinelese have no immunity against germs we've managed to overcome years ago.

As of the "way to approach", let's remember that for years Indian scientists have attempted to establish the first contact and it failed each time. It's ridiculous to think a random amateur would have succeeded where professionals couldn't.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »

I'm sure the guy was well-meaning, but he must've known what he was getting into and yet did this anyway.

The Sentinelise can't be blamed for this. They were merely defending themselves. And even if we somehow disregard the biological hazard, you need to understand their mentality, formed by hundreds of years of isolation.

If we really want to make flawed comparisons between them and our world, I noted many Americans are very big on the idea of being able to defend one's household and property against trespassers. It's not that diffrent.

Here's another issue: the Indian government has recognized Sentilese people right to run their home island as they see fit, undisturbed. The guy deciding to enter their territory anyway was no diffrent than someone trying to cross a closed, guarded border.

The people who should be held responsible are the fishermen who ferried him into the island. They certainly knew the risk, but did it anyway. If you see a man standing at the cliff, you don't give him a push. You pull him away from the brink.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »

It would be ignorant to think the contact between Sentinelise and the world is impossible per se. We've seen, quite recently, previously uncontacted tribes in South America emerging from the jungle to interact, for the first time, with the population. Though we know next to nothing about Sentinelise, there are numerous precedents for that.

However, as stressed many times in this thread, no interaction is possible as long as Sentinelise simply refuse to engage in one. If they were, one day, to show interest in what's beyond their island, that's diffrent. And even then the contact must be handled by the professionals, with serious precautions, not some random amateur who, in his naive zeal, can unintentionally cause terrible things.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »

Also, the whole talk about "prosecuting" the Sentinelise is absurdly hilarious. First off, in order to punish someone that someone must be able to understand why. Second, how would such proceedings even look like, if the both sides simply can't communicate? It's not like you can find a translator.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »

Seriously though, this island raises all sorts of questions regarding individual rights vs. communal rights. What if one of the islanders wants to vote in the Indian elections? Are that individual's civil rights worth less than the community's right to autonomy?

I doubt they know what voting means lol

A random Sentinelise is going to wake up one day and think "hm, as a citizen of India I should totally excercise my voting rights!"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies