American 'killed in India by endangered Andamans tribe'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:11:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  American 'killed in India by endangered Andamans tribe'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: American 'killed in India by endangered Andamans tribe'  (Read 2906 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46286215

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That moron was basically a walking biological weapon, so I have very hard time to feel any sympathy for him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »

I agree.  I don't know what should be done, if anything, with these people.  I do know an American preacher from Alabama telling them about the word of God isn't it.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 06:28:23 PM by Helsinkian »

Surely it's time for the Sentinelese to open their borders and embrace diversity? Come on, it's the current year.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »

Surely it's time for the Sentinelese to open their borders and embrace diversity? Come on, it's the current year.
The Sentinelese don’t want to die from whatever unvaccinated illness they could have gotten by the preacher. Plus it seems like they don’t want to engage in society, and they don’t breach any of us in doing so.

In fact, by not entering modern society, they require and take less resources.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »

Crazy that India allows this to happen within their own borders.  Totally unacceptable that these people are allowed to wantonly murder and not be prosecuted.  Someone should tell Trump about this.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:50:17 PM »

Just leave them alone. Not that hard, people.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 08:45:11 PM »

RIP FF.

May you enter the arms of Jesus Christ and live in His Glory eternally now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »

RIP FF.

Putting the entire tribe at risk of annihilation by carrying germs that are harmless to us but likely deadly to them makes one a FF?

BRTD's approach reminds me of the Holy Inquisition in their quest to save souls even if that meant burning people at stake.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:49:27 PM »

They live in modern society. Their society certainly has its own changing histories, politics, and passions. They are just unknowable to anyone but the Sentinalese.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 01:41:47 AM »

Lol what an idiot
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »

This idiot deserves the Darwin Award.

Five seconds of googling would be enough to tell me to never go on there under any circumstances.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2018, 12:57:40 PM by Voter #457 »

Five seconds of googling would be enough to tell me to never go on there under any circumstances.

He was willing to take risks and go to great lengths for Jesus Christ.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »

So much victim blaming, terrible.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »

He was little to take risks and go to great lengths for Jesus Christ.

Great lengths like potentially wiping out an entire tribe?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »

There's ways to safely approach them. Hope he brought a doctor's mask.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 01:01:29 PM »

No, there isn't. Even 30 seconds of research would tell you this. There is an incredibly long history of people attempting to visit North Sentinel Island and getting killed or being driven off the island because of how hostile the Sentinelese are to outsiders.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »

These stupid missionaries and capitalist invaders should leave these last remaining isolated tribes alone.

They have done enough damage already in rotting out these native tribes all over the world (a life form which we should return back to) before the planet gets uninhabitable due to reckless capitalism and the alarming destruction of the biosphere.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »

Yes, because there's no way you could get infected with anything if you wear a doctor's mask Roll Eyes

There's a reason physicians who are treating patients that had their immunity system wiped out are doing this under sterile, strictly isolated conditions. And the Sentinelese have no immunity against germs we've managed to overcome years ago.

As of the "way to approach", let's remember that for years Indian scientists have attempted to establish the first contact and it failed each time. It's ridiculous to think a random amateur would have succeeded where professionals couldn't.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »

I'm sure the guy was well-meaning, but he must've known what he was getting into and yet did this anyway.

The Sentinelise can't be blamed for this. They were merely defending themselves. And even if we somehow disregard the biological hazard, you need to understand their mentality, formed by hundreds of years of isolation.

If we really want to make flawed comparisons between them and our world, I noted many Americans are very big on the idea of being able to defend one's household and property against trespassers. It's not that diffrent.

Here's another issue: the Indian government has recognized Sentilese people right to run their home island as they see fit, undisturbed. The guy deciding to enter their territory anyway was no diffrent than someone trying to cross a closed, guarded border.

The people who should be held responsible are the fishermen who ferried him into the island. They certainly knew the risk, but did it anyway. If you see a man standing at the cliff, you don't give him a push. You pull him away from the brink.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »

I have to agree with this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 04:03:05 PM »

I see what you did there Smiley
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »

Crazy that India allows this to happen within their own borders.  Totally unacceptable that these people are allowed to wantonly murder and not be prosecuted.  Someone should tell Trump about this.
No one asked them join India.
Crazy that India allows this to happen within their own borders.  Totally unacceptable that these people are allowed to wantonly murder and not be prosecuted.  Someone should tell Trump about this.
No one asked them join India. As they consider themselves (and are de-facto) independent, they have the right to defend their island. And considering what happened to the other Andamanese (and to an extent to them as well) one shouldn't judge them too harshly. Especially as the people going there are usually not innocent victims.

RIP FF.

Really? Even if by some miracle he was not attacked on sight, what exactly could he do there? It's not as if he would be able to spread God's word to the islanders, what with no outsider knowing their language.. The only thing he was likely to spread would be pathogens to which the inhabitants would be extremely vulnerable. So this action was the perfect combination of stupidity and selfishness - certainly nothing heroic.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 10:08:51 PM »

Seriously though, this island raises all sorts of questions regarding individual rights vs. communal rights. What if one of the islanders wants to vote in the Indian elections? Are that individual's civil rights worth less than the community's right to autonomy?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 11:56:15 PM »

First of all, this is tragic. Prayers to this man's family and friends. Very sad death.

That being said, people need to stop trying to "save" people in dangerous places. It places their home country and the country they are visiting in a very difficult position.

The Sentinelese are known to be dangerous and hostile towards outsiders. As people noted, they are likely to be exposed to diseases that could kill them if they have prolonged contact with outsiders. Influence from the outside world does MUCH more harm than good.

And it is clear that the Sentinelese, the Jarawas (to a less extreme extent) and other uncontacted peoples do not want contact with the outside world.

Let me repeat it for those in the back:

THEY. DO. NOT. WANT. TO. BE. "SAVED." OR. "ENLIGHTENED."

Religious Orgs do their congregants, and especially, missionaries a DEEP disservice by not providing proper training on what situations are worth involving their cause in. India already has complex rules on religious proselytizing, for example:

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/anti-conversion-laws/india.php

Yet, this man, decided to not only go to India to convert people but specifically to the most dangerous territory under their jursidiction.

I do not want to victim blame as this is extremely tragic and he seemed like a nice, albeit misguided/naive, person. I hope his family finds peace through their religion.

We have seen similar cases of missionaries getting arrested/detained/tortured (or worse) in other countries like Iran, N. Korea and Turkey as well.

It is very sad and tragic.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »

They live in modern society. Their society certainly has its own changing histories, politics, and passions. They are just unknowable to anyone but the Sentinalese.

Our speculations are sadly unproven, though. You are right that we have no proof that their culture is lacking in modernization but their population seem to be in decline (according to the Indian Government, I believe) and that is not a sign of a modern/healthy society.

So, it is hard to tell how sophisicated the internal workings of their culture are. What we do know is that they are weary of outsiders (and have some reason to be so), but they also engage in shocking violence that doesn't belong in an inclusive world.

They don't want to be "helped" by outside societies, either, and we should respect that desire for the sake of the safety of both outsiders and the Sentinelese.

Also, on a weird note, I watched some videos on the Sentinelese and Jarawas earlier this week. Very sad that something happened a few days later Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies