Was Randy Bryce the most embarassing pander of the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:27:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Was Randy Bryce the most embarassing pander of the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Was Randy Bryce the most embarassing pander of the election?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Was Randy Bryce the most embarassing pander of the election?  (Read 2064 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »

Oh God yes.

Liberal PAC board member 1: So what can we do to improve amongst working class whites?
Liberal PAC board member 2: Oooh I have the perfect idea! There's this guy running against Paul Ryan. He's not a politician, he's a blue collar ironworker. And he has a moustache!
Liberal PAC board member 1: What seriously? That's perfect! Let's send this guy tons of money and increase his visibility nationwide. A blue collar worker with a moustache. I can think of no better way to show working class whites we're in touch with them.

That campaign and meme was pure cringe.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »

At least Dems could've gotten a respectable loss here if they nominated Cathy Myers rather than the meme candidate. But no, they just had to go with the Iron Deadbeat Jailbird who did worse than Hillary.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »

It's not just the pandering. It's the fact that (and IceSpear, DTC, and I warned everyone of this for the whole cycle) he would get destroyed once the arrests and child support payments (or lack thereof) came out. But a ton of hacks on here insisted otherwise.

I remember when Atlas told me I was wrong about the race being safe R because Paul Ryan's PAC was spending a lot of money there. Roll Eyes

It's almost as if he had a personal stake in it...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »

Randy was definitely an overhyped candidate in an unwinnable district. Not only did he have personal issues(as IceSpear keeps pointing out), but the district was also one of the Most R and inelastic of WI, not even voting for Baldwin or the Rebecca Dallet when they won the state by large margins.

RIP IronStache
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »

Randy was definitely an overhyped candidate in an unwinnable district. Not only did he have personal issues(as IceSpear keeps pointing out), but the district was also one of the Most R and inelastic of WI, not even voting for Baldwin or the Rebecca Dallet when they won the state by large margins.

RIP IronStache
It's not an unwinnable district (Obama won it in '08) but the matter is Ryan would inevitably be able to spend a lot of money on attack ads, and the Democrats had to double down by nominating the Iron Stache.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »

I honestly thought IceSpear would be the one to start this thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »

The people propping up Bryce and that made him a meme mostly think like IceSpear.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »

The people propping up Bryce and that made him a meme mostly think like IceSpear.

Yet another mind numbingly stupid BRTD post to add to the pile. I've been the biggest critic of "Iron Stache" on this entire forum for months now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »

Yet another mind numbingly stupid BRTD post to add to the pile. I've been the biggest critic of "Iron Stache" on this entire forum for months now.

I said he was backed by people who think like you. Not you yourself.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »

How exactly? Have I ever said that Dems need to run WWC #populists Purple heart in order to win?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »

How exactly? Have I ever said that Dems need to run WWC #populists Purple heart in order to win?

You are literally the only person who uses that stupid term so no, no one said that. However anyone thinking he was a good candidate clearly had just as condescending a view of working class whites.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »

Yeah.

Ojeda would be a close second though.

"JFK with tats" lol
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »

Yeah.

"JFK with tats" lol

tbf  he did massively outperform any democrat and just got ed over by racist hicks coming out for their god emperor. This will probably the highest performance in these counties for any democrat for a few decades.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »

I wonder how the pundits would react to the idea that a progressive lesbian from Madison did much better than an ironworker in a Wisconsin district.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »

Yeah.

"JFK with tats" lol

tbf  he did massively outperform any democrat and just got ed over by racist hicks coming out for their god emperor. This will probably the highest performance in these counties for any democrat for a few decades.

Yeah, maybe I am just hard on Ojeda after listening to some of this justice Democrats claiming his type is the future of the Democratic party.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »

He shouldn't have even made it through the primary.

Imagine if the "evil" establishment recruited and openly supported another candidate.
Bernie bros would be apoplectic. I guess now they got him off their system.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »

He shouldn't have even made it through the primary.

Imagine if the "evil" establishment recruited and openly supported another candidate.
Bernie bros would be apoplectic. I guess now they got him off their system.

LOL, I was hoping he'd lose the primary.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »

He was basically the prototype of what Atlas believed would save the Democratic Party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »

Imagine if Republicans, in order to win Hispanic voters, recruited a poncho and sombrero wearing Latino man with a big droopy moustache who does the Mexican hat dance in every single campaign ad, along with his catchphrase "Me Gusta Fiscal Responsibility!"? And then it turns out that man was a convicted drug dealer, but his backers wave his charges away with the claim that "makes him more relatable"? And he only ran because he was making epic dunks on a particularly hated Democratic incumbent, who proceeds to retire and consequently end like 99% of the reason anybody cared about the race to begin with? And the district had like no Hispanics anyway, making the whole charade pointless?

That basically sums it up.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »

Yeah.

"JFK with tats" lol

What, Manchin did better than him on the exact same election night. Jim Justice swept WV-03 in 2016. Nick Rahall (the guy who Ojeda once tried to primary) had held onto that seat decades, and only lost in 2014.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:06 PM »

Yeah.

"JFK with tats" lol

What, Manchin did better than him on the exact same election night. Jim Justice swept WV-03 in 2016. Nick Rahall (the guy who Ojeda once tried to primary) had held onto that seat decades, and only lost in 2014.

I meant besides Manchin and im talking from now on in federal races. Obviously some rando governor probably can win those racist hicks. these racist hicks will never elect a democrat again.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »

It's not just the pandering. It's the fact that (and IceSpear, DTC, and I warned everyone of this for the whole cycle) he would get destroyed once the arrests and child support payments (or lack thereof) came out. But a ton of hacks on here insisted otherwise.

Anyone who would actually care about this type of non-issue is someone who was never going to be voting for a Democratic candidate for Congress ever anyways.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »

Anyone who would actually care about this type of non-issue is someone who was never going to be voting for a Democratic candidate for Congress ever anyways.

Which is why he did far worse than Baldwin, Evers, and even Hillary in this district, right?

By the way, you're objectively wrong here, as you often are. I voted straight ticket D in 2012, 2016, and 2018, but voted Republican for the PA state Senate in 2014 because the Democratic candidate was a hot mess deadbeat dad like Joe Walsh and the Iron Deadbeat Jailbird (and the fact that the Republican candidate was relatively moderate and palatable, otherwise I'd probably have done a write-in.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »

Imagine if Republicans, in order to win Hispanic voters, recruited a poncho and sombrero wearing Latino man with a big droopy moustache who does the Mexican hat dance in every single campaign ad, along with his catchphrase "Me Gusta Fiscal Responsibility!"? And then it turns out that man was a convicted drug dealer, but his backers wave his charges away with the claim that "makes him more relatable"? And he only ran because he was making epic dunks on a particularly hated Democratic incumbent, who proceeds to retire and consequently end like 99% of the reason anybody cared about the race to begin with? And the district had like no Hispanics anyway, making the whole charade pointless?

That basically sums it up.

And then the state's incumbent Republican senator, an anti-immigration hardliner from the state's most staunchly conservative area wins re-election easily and outperforms said Hispanic Republican amongst Hispanics. And the state's very controversial Democratic Governor loses a very close election that year to a forgettable Generic R type who also outperforms said candidate.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 08:31:06 PM »

What I didn't get about the whole thing was how people thought a blue-collar populist type was the best bet for this particular district. It's like people just saw "Wisconsin" and thought "wow - he's the right guy for the job!". Are any of the WI CDs less blue-collar than WI-01?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies