How would you rebuild the Wyoming Dems?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:22:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How would you rebuild the Wyoming Dems?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: How would you rebuild the Wyoming Dems?  (Read 2549 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »

Where does the party go from here? How do you - over the next several cycles - bring it out of this hole?
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »

Start importing out of state liberals into Albany and Teton County.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »

Basically this.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »

Make Tester campaign for all the Democratic candidates
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

A similar idea would be how do you make Vermont Republican
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2018, 03:13:19 PM by Crumpets »

Anecdotally, my mom's family is from Wyoming and are all Democrats. I might be biased because of this, but I think there's a path. This is something of what it would look like:

- Distance the local politicians from the national politicians. Make sure they are all totally cool with no gun restrictions, and preferably are avid hunters themselves.

- Massive GOTV operations in Native and Hispanic areas.

- Get local Democrats enthusiastic about running for office. Laramie is a good place to start for this, given the large civil society presence at the University. Jackson has too many carpetbaggers.

- Run against Republicans as "big government" authoritarians.

- Run against the Bureau of Land Management as big government trying to suck up our precious land and resources to feed the desires of the East Coast corporatists.

- Have an environmental message, but keep it far from Al Gore-style environmentalism. Talk about God's precious Earth and our role as stewards over it. Tell people to vote against letting corporations pollute our beautiful lakes and rivers so our kids can play in them but DO NOT talk about climate change or global warming.

- Blame any and every ill facing anyone in Wyoming on the decades of one-party Republican rule, whether fair or not. Basically what the Republicans did in Michigan in 2010.

- Drive a wedge between the religous right and the business/neo-con right as much as possible. Wyoming has one of the largest irreligious Republican constituencies of any state.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »

Anecdotally, my mom's family is from Wyoming and are all Democrats. I might be biased because of this, but I think there's a path. This is something of what it would look like:

- Distance the local politicians from the national politicians. Make sure they are all totally cool with no gun restrictions, and preferably are avid hunters themselves.

- Get local Democrats enthusiastic about running for office. Laramie is a good place to start for this, given the large civil society presence at the University. Jackson has too many carpetbaggers.

- Run against the Bureau of Land Management as big government trying to suck up our precious land and resources to feed the desires of the East Coast corporatists.

- Have an environmental message, but keep it far from Al Gore-style environmentalism. Talk about God's precious Earth and our role as stewards over it. Tell people to vote against letting corporations pollute our beautiful lakes and rivers so our kids can play in them but DO NOT talk about climate change or global warming.

- Blame any and every ill facing anyone in Wyoming on the decades of one-party Republican rule, whether fair or not. Basically what the Republicans did in Michigan in 2010.

I'm impressed. Have you thought to send your suggestions to the state Democratic party?

I read somewhere that this is what actually happens to Montana.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »

Colorado should just seize it for their marijuana farms.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »

- Drive a wedge between the religous right and the business/neo-con right as much as possible. Wyoming has one of the largest irreligious Republican constituencies of any state.

This.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »

Tell them to be more #populist Purple heart
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »

A similar idea would be how do you make Vermont Republican

Kill every Vermonter under the age of 75.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

They need to run as "compassionate conservatives." Wyoming has the smallest Democratic base of any state and 30% seems to be the ceiling for them statewide. They can risk alienating a few angry Dem base folks by running as compassionate conservatives because there are so few Dems.

They also need to focus on flipping Laramie County (Cheyenne). They have pretty good holds on Teton County (Jackson) and Albany County (Laramie) but the most populous county in the state continues to be elusive to them. Even in non-election years they need to be hitting the pavement in Cheyenne and working to flip voters. Natrona and Sweetwater Counties should be secondary priorities. Ignore all the other counties at the moment unless you're doing Native and Hispanic outreach.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »

As others have said, this wouldn't even be hard. Import 200,000 Californians into the state and suddenly it's safe D while barely putting a dent into the Dem margin in California.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »

Are we sure that the real problem Wyoming Democrats have is not simply candidate quality? Maybe if they recruit some high quality candidates, on par maybe with Dean Heller or Young Kim, they could win?

The other important disadvantage that Wyoming Democrats have is that they have no incumbents, and thus no incumbency advantage. How can you get incumbency advantage with no incumbents?
UncleSam

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »

As others have said, this wouldn't even be hard. Import 200,000 Californians into the state and suddenly it's safe D while barely putting a dent into the Dem margin in California.
You would need more than 200,000 unless you’re importing them straight from San Francisco. And even then you’d need more like 400,000 given not every person votes.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »

You would need more than 200,000 unless you’re importing them straight from San Francisco. And even then you’d need more like 400,000 given not every person votes.

You're misunderstanding. I wasn't saying "catch 200,000 random Californians in a net and dump them in Wyoming." I meant like, liberals start a movement for liberal Californians to move into Wyoming for the sole purpose of flipping the state. So it would be 100% liberals moving in, almost all of which would vote, considering that was their purpose for living there to begin with.

Would this even be hard? I mean, it already happens to an extent in Teton County, right?
completely dead account
Koorca Ton
United States
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »

Seems pretty impossible at this point, even with the fact they elected Dave F. twice in the 21st century. I heard some Democrats are now voting for more moderate Republicans to get this state more liberal.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 04:57:59 PM »

It really shouldn’t be hard to find 200k people who are both very Democratic and guaranteed voters in CA.

Even in 2014, Democrats got over 4.3 million votes for governor.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »

You're misunderstanding. I wasn't saying "catch 200,000 random Californians in a net and dump them in Wyoming." I meant like, liberals start a movement for liberal Californians to move into Wyoming for the sole purpose of flipping the state. So it would be 100% liberals moving in, almost all of which would vote, considering that was their purpose for living there to begin with.

Would this even be hard? I mean, it already happens to an extent in Teton County, right?

This would be a good movement to start when San Diego and co. start going underwater

To incentivize people to join, we could get Steyer/Soros etc. to pay for relocation costs and even a salary. Hell, we could even do deployments (Person A has 6 months in Wyoming, 6 months at home, then 6 months in South Dakota, etc.) This would probably be necessary, since I doubt very many Californians would want to live in Wyoming for the rest of their lives.

Is there any downside to this plan? I'd definitely sign up.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 05:04:42 PM »

Hey, that's how Colorado became a blue state. Maybe instead of Boulder they should consider going a few miles to the north.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »

Try to really grow the University of Wyoming into a larger and especially left-wing institution that recruits aggressively from out-of-state? Growth in Laramie and not Jackson Hole (which is very expensive and has some natural barriers) would probably be the key to making this work.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »

Wouldn’t Republicans come up with their own counterstrategy if the Democrats' plan was so blatantly obvious? Tongue
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »

Wouldn’t Republicans come up with their own counterstrategy if the Democrats' plan was so blatantly obvious? Tongue

From where and to where?
They can't bring 200k voters from Texas anymore.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »

I don't think rural hicks would be very keen to change their lifestyle so radically. The whole point of voting Republican is because they promise to bring back the jobs to the places they grew up and live now.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »

Reach out to Mormons and campaign on things like "me too" and single payer but sell it as a moral argument. Considering their dislike of Trump, why don't the dems play on it. And yes, outreach to college students in Albany lol, but that should be much easier
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies