Should soldiers be allowed to hire prostitutes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:40:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should soldiers be allowed to hire prostitutes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should soldiers be allowed to hire prostitutes?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Should soldiers be allowed to hire prostitutes?  (Read 4161 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2005, 12:42:01 PM »

Yes. The military banned soldiers from hiring prostitues while stationed anywhere, even countries where it's legal, which I think is ridiculous. At least in Vietnam they could have fun at times while fighting in the idiotic pointless war as opposed to now we're they're stuck in the idiotic pointless war and can't ever have fun.

But I suppose you should limit only to those who aren't married to alleviate concerns.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 01:09:15 PM »

No.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:22:53 PM »

No. Now when on leave, that's different. But while stationed somewhere the focus is on the job, not play time. Soldiers don't piss around, that's not their job. If they have free time, pursue education or the many, many other worthwhile options that are available. Allowing that kind of behavior is too risky in a lot of ways.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:39:04 PM »

No. Now when on leave, that's different. But while stationed somewhere the focus is on the job, not play time. Soldiers don't piss around, that's not their job. If they have free time, pursue education or the many, many other worthwhile options that are available. Allowing that kind of behavior is too risky in a lot of ways.

Hahhah - risky!  Compared to getting shot at!  What a joke.

Of course they should be allowed to, as anyone should.  But particularly soldiers, who are about to die, should at least be allowed to get laid.  Anyone who doesn't understand the age-old relationship between the military and prostitution really doesn't understand either the military character or ordinary human desire.
Tory

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 04:40:01 PM »

Sure, on thier own time
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 05:18:47 PM »

Stupid question.
Laws apply to everyone.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 05:25:48 PM »

No.  No prostitution legalization for anyone.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 05:27:13 PM »

I doubt you'd find many prostitutes in Iraq, and if you could, I wouldn't want to be visiting one.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »

Yes, as I do support legalized prostitution. Hey, at least we can find a way to send BRTD to Iraq!!
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 08:15:35 PM »

Yes.
    I am in favor of legalizing prostitutes everywhere.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 10:38:18 PM »

Yes.
Do you mean.....everywhere? Shocked Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 06:03:54 AM »

I doubt you'd find many prostitutes in Iraq, and if you could, I wouldn't want to be visiting one.

We can change that, Jake!  Come on, if we're serious about bringing liberty to that benighted land, this is the most important step.

Oh I forgot, the US is also not free.  What a hypocritical sh**thole.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 06:26:30 AM »

I object to the term "hire prostitutes". Tongue You're just buying a service, not hiring a person - hiring a person implies that you can do whatever you want with said person, which is not the case in legal prostitution (but sometimes, more or less, in illegal prostitution, if said prostitute is sufficiently drugf**ked etc Sad ).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 09:21:59 AM »

I object to the term "hire prostitutes". Tongue You're just buying a service, not hiring a person - hiring a person implies that you can do whatever you want with said person, which is not the case in legal prostitution (but sometimes, more or less, in illegal prostitution, if said prostitute is sufficiently drugf**ked etc Sad ).

Well, hiring also implies an ongoing relationship - like corporations that may hire people for several months or years before discarding them.  The closest parallel to prostitutes are, I think, small independent contractors like plumbers and other workmen.  They come by, spend a couple of hours working on your problem, and you give them $100-$200.

Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 12:12:33 PM »

Of course they should be allowed to, as anyone should.  But particularly soldiers, who are about to die, should at least be allowed to get laid.  Anyone who doesn't understand the age-old relationship between the military and prostitution really doesn't understand either the military character or ordinary human desire.

What do you think soldiers go to basic training for? To have beer parties, hang out in the garage...?

And then there are the many, many soldiers who aren't even around combat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »

The military should be more like Starship Troopers.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 02:00:37 PM »

Yes.
Do you mean.....everywhere? Shocked Wink

yes
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »

No.  They'll just have to keep boning each other instead.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 02:34:11 PM »

No.  They'll just have to keep boning each other instead.

Like the Navy over here? Grin
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 03:09:38 PM »

What do you think soldiers go to basic training for? To have beer parties, hang out in the garage...?

What the devil does basic training have to do with this issue?  Are you suggesting they can be trained not to have sexual desires?  Perhaps you'ld like to put saltpeter in their food or castrate them in some fashion?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 03:17:32 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2005, 05:04:10 PM by Joe Republic »

What the devil does basic training have to do with this issue?  Are you suggesting they can be trained not to have sexual desires?  Perhaps you'ld like to put saltpeter in their food or castrate them in some fashion?

His point was that you make the Army sound more like a giant frat party than what it is and should be.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 03:45:15 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2005, 03:53:51 PM by Giant Saguaro »

Nope. You just don't understand.

In addition to what Joe said, soldiers are trained to handle themselves in a fire fight. All that stuff you think is really cool would be one major distraction to a soldier.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »

We can change that, Jake!  Come on, if we're serious about bringing liberty to that benighted land, this is the most important step.

Oh I forgot, the US is also not free.  What a hypocritical sh**thole.

It's rather sad that your only measure of freedom is whether prostitution is legal or not.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 04:22:09 PM »

His point was that you make the Army sound more like a giant frat party than what it is and should be.

Oh, I frequently miss points that dumb.  Does he think they are literally in battle 24/7?  What does anyone thing R and R is for?  It is for getting laid.  This are dumb, poor, physically healthy (for now) 18-25 year old men for the most part, people!

Nope. You just don't understand.

In addition to what Joe said, soldiers are trained to handle themselves in a fire fight. All that stuff you think is really cool would be one major distraction to a soldier.

I wasn't suggesting that the chappy roger the prostitute right there on the battlefield, in his foxhole.. I was referring to during his time off, rest and relaxation and all that garbage.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 04:40:55 PM »

yes, and so should everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies