LOL TIER COOK POLITICAL Senate ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:53:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LOL TIER COOK POLITICAL Senate ratings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: LOL TIER COOK POLITICAL Senate ratings  (Read 3243 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »

I’m not seeing any serious path to victory for Doug Jones.

1. He ran against a uniquely awful candidate. Roy Moore was an alleged pedo who previously barely won by 4 points in his last race in 2012 against a Democrat with Obama on the ballot.
2. Jones won in a special election off year race where turnout differentials are crucial. 2020 will be presidential turnout.
3. Jones won only 8-9% of Republicans per exit polls and the generational gap in Alabama is extremely small compared to most states in the US. Why would these people showing up in presidential turnout levels be good for Jones?
4. McCain even when he was losing by 7-8 nationally still won this state by 21-22 points. That same year we saw Sessions win re-election by 27 points. Trump won the state by 26 points. How in the Hell is Jones suppose to outrun this massive of a margin? Where are all these Trump-Jones voters gonna show up in an extremely inelastic deep southern state with a high white population and a very high evangelical (80% Roy Moore bloc) population?
5. We saw states that are much friendlier for Dems in terms of their PVI and elasticity throw out a ton of Democratic incumbents (Missouri, North Dakota, Indiana, and apparently Florida) in a D+7 year with midterm turnout. How is Alabama suppose to even come remotely close to bucking this trend with presidential turnout?

It’s likely R at best for Senator Doug Jones. His best chance is to pray the economy collapses and his opponent is Roy Moore again.

yeah and id like Jennifer to explain the scenario where both Doug Jones and Gardner win due to muh incumbency. I can see Gardner winning so Doug Jones has to go to Lean R.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »

This is a preliminary map until candidates are known, we all know Cook will put ME, CO and AL as possible pick ups
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »

My ratings as of now (probably junk I guess):

Safe: 90%
Likely: 50%
Lean: 30%

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »

Wow, Cook's ratings have always been bad, but he's definitely gone off the deep end.

-Colorado is Lean R and Alabama is Safe D because muh incumbency, lol
-Iowa is SAFE R!?
-North Carolina is LIKELY R!? As likely to flip as Kentucky!?

It's almost as if the pundits are just trolling at this point.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »

I can't seriously believe the stupidity in these ratings. What is this woman thinking? Gardner and Jones are doomed and NC is not likely R, among other catastrophes
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 02:15:13 PM »

I don't get why they have ME closer than most of the other states that are in play? People on here will say Susan Collins is in huge danger (the forum did it prior to 2014 as well if you look back when she didn't even have the Kavanaugh thing Tongue ) but it seems to me Maine is not fond of voting out statewide incumbents, no?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »

I see they learned nothing from their garbage 2018 ratings. In fact, these ones are even worse!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 04:03:37 PM »

I think:

R gain: AL

D gain: ME, NC, AZ, CO
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »

Clearly the lesson from this year, in which 5 incumbent Senators lost, and 3 more came dangerously close to losing, is that #IncumbencyMatters Roll Eyes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »

I don't get why they have ME closer than most of the other states that are in play? People on here will say Susan Collins is in huge danger (the forum did it prior to 2014 as well if you look back when she didn't even have the Kavanaugh thing Tongue ) but it seems to me Maine is not fond of voting out statewide incumbents, no?

Collins ran in 2008 and 2014 when Obama was on the ballot and supported Obamacare. She is running on the same ticket as Trump, and Trump has vowed to repeal Obamacare.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 05:54:23 PM »

Clearly the lesson from this year, in which 5 incumbent Senators lost, and 3 more came dangerously close to losing, is that #IncumbencyMatters Roll Eyes

Incumbency doesn't matter. This election has convinced me that "fundamentals" are a more important factor, than anything else. The reason why >90% of incumbents get reelected is because they generally reflect the state or district in which they are running. It comes down to that.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »

Incumbency doesn't matter. This election has convinced me that "fundamentals" are a more important factor, than anything else. The reason why >90% of incumbents get reelected is because they generally reflect the state or district in which they are running. It comes down to that.
A very high-IQ man, I can see.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »

A very high-IQ man, I can see.

Back to the insults, I see. No matter. My observation is still valid.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 06:02:41 PM »

That's embarrassing.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »

Cook is always very... cautious when it comes to incumbents, especially in their initial ratings. That said, Peters and Ernst probably aren't safe, and Collins shouldn't be just at Lean R unless proven otherwise.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »

Even solid isn't enough of a hack to think that Jones will win.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 12:27:37 AM »

Top 7 worst ratings:

1)AL at Lean D
2)CO at Lean R
3)NH at Solid D
4)IA at Solid R
5)MI at Solid D
6)TX at Solid R
7)MT at Solid R

I will give Duffy some credit for putting ME at Lean R. That's bold for these rankings.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »

Wow, they really outdid themselves again, since these are even worse than their initial 2018 Senate ratings, which is saying a lot. Their worst ratings:

1) MT (once again). Even if Bullock (who would arguably make the race Tilt/Lean D) somehow doesn’t run, there is really no way Daines is safe.
2) CO/AL. Gardner and Jones shouldn’t be underestimated, but the idea that their seats are Lean R and D, respectively, just because they’re incumbents is ridiculous. Jones has never even won a regular election, and Gardner isn’t exactly the most popular incumbent.
3) MI Solid D? Cute, but yeah.. no.
4) IA/KY. I agree with Duffy that Ernst is a strong retail politician who’s heavily favored to win reelection, but she’s definitely not less vulnerable than McConnell.
5) NC isn’t Likely R, especially with an incumbent like Tillis.

At least they put NH and VA at Safe D, though.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »

did anyone actually read the article bc she clearly says
You must be logged in to read this quote.
meaning that the ratings simply reflect the current state and she doesn't expect most of these races to stay where they are right now without any announced challengers
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »

meaning that the ratings simply reflect the current state and she doesn't expect most of these races to stay where they are right now without any announced challengers
She can make ratings according to those rules if she wants, but it's probabilistic malfeasance.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »

Yeah, one can I guess take issue with that rule but clearly the thing is that lean is the worst they'll assign to an incumbent this far out.

That makes the two dumbest ratings a bit more understandable. Even with that caveat this is still bad though.
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »

Kentucky is likely R because Mitch McConnell is regularly one of the least popular senators in his state.  As of his last two elections, he hasn't ever won by much. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »

yeah i did and Alabama isn't tossup its Likely R. It doesn't take a first tier challenger
I guess CO is fine enough because a garbage candidate+ ok environment means Gardner can win.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies