How would the result of the 2004 election affect you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:41:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would the result of the 2004 election affect you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the result of the 2004 election affect you?  (Read 3691 times)
ShapeShifter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2004, 07:51:53 PM »
« edited: May 06, 2004, 08:04:18 PM by Senator ShapeShifter »

How would it affect your personal choices?

Personally, it doesn't really matter who gets elected. I just like, for sake of debate, take a side and argue.

O and, I do intend to vote. I am not saying we shouldn't vote but rather my intent was to protray that whoever gets elected - everything would probably stay the same.

Change doesn't start in the president but rather with yourself.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 07:58:51 PM »

Well, I'm pretty sure I'll still paying the same amount for college, and I'm pretty sure I'll still be 5 hours away from the significant other, so it won't affect my personal choices too much.

Then again, maybe when I'm standing in line at 7-11 with that bag of Cheetos, I'll be thinking -- "if I had voted for Bush, would I be buying these Cheetos?"

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 08:09:39 PM »

my munitions stocks would probably take a hit if Kerry were elected.  but my agribusiness holdings would go up.  I've tried to plan for any scenario, you should too, so ultimately I don't think we'll take a major hit either way.  (never put all your eggs in one basket)

anyone have any inside dope on google?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 09:56:04 PM »

Well, for starters, if Kerry wins, I'll have to practice the proper way of saying...

"Gooday, mate".
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 09:57:35 PM »

Well, I'm pretty sure I'll still paying the same amount for college, and I'm pretty sure I'll still be 5 hours away from the significant other, so it won't affect my personal choices too much.

Then again, maybe when I'm standing in line at 7-11 with that bag of Cheetos, I'll be thinking -- "if I had voted for Bush, would I be buying these Cheetos?"

LOL   Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 01:19:43 AM »

Kerry gets elected, I invest in stem cell stocks.  Also, my insurance premiums go down.  Yeah, I'll go for Kerry!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 02:00:05 PM »

I will have to defend Bush for another 4 years, a depressing thought. Sad

In the short term, it's obviusly hard to say. And it inevitably gets very partisan if we try and predict long-term changes.

'When Kerry has allowed us all to be slaves under Al-Qaeda and sold our military to the UN I will be in deep sh**t' or 'When Bush drafts me for the WWIII he started against the rest of the world I'm dead' and so on... Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 02:01:31 PM »

Well, for starters, if Kerry wins, I'll have to practice the proper way of saying...

"Gooday, mate".

ever played little league baseball with a kid named mike?

if so, you've probably found youself saying, "Good eye, mike!"  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 02:04:36 PM »

In the short term, it's obviusly hard to say. And it inevitably gets very partisan if we try and predict long-term changes.

'When Kerry has allowed us all to be slaves under Al-Qaeda and sold our military to the UN I will be in deep sh**t' or 'When Bush drafts me for the WWIII he started against the rest of the world I'm dead' and so on... Wink

dude, when you start paying your own bills you'll know that that crap is all very irrelevant.  It's all about economics.  How will it affect you?  probably not at all, since your personal situation is much more dependent on european union policy.
zachman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 02:31:22 PM »

The draft will probably be back when I turn 18 in 2006, if Bush gets reelected. It would also mean giant taxes for me when I turn 18 because of the deficits. The only downside if Kerry gets elected is I won't have anyone to blame my anger for.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 02:44:30 PM »

The only way these guys effect me is in whether the dollar goes up or down.  I didn't much like Clinton but the dollar was high then.. nice for the expat.  Also I suppose eventually the inheritance tax is something to consider - that's definitely in Bush's corner.  In Kerry's favor if he were elected I wouldn't worry about censorship so much.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 05:16:38 PM »

dude, when you start paying your own bills you'll know that that crap is all very irrelevant.  It's all about economics.  How will it affect you?  probably not at all, since your personal situation is much more dependent on european union policy.

Might well be true. But I'm not paying my own bills, so this is what I care about. And don't remind me of being depent on EU policy! That is REALLY depressing...those guys have no understanding of deregulation and free markets... Sad
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 10:36:48 AM »

Well, I probably wouldn't be able to watch Howard Stern anymore....
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 12:38:36 PM »

Might well be true. But I'm not paying my own bills, so this is what I care about. And don't remind me of being depent on EU policy! That is REALLY depressing...those guys have no understanding of deregulation and free markets... Sad

strange that is, since Adam Smith and Friedrich von Hayek all came from eventual EU member states.  On the other hand, so did Karl Marx and John Engels.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 03:53:50 PM »

strange that is, since Adam Smith and Friedrich von Hayek all came from eventual EU member states.  On the other hand, so did Karl Marx and John Engels.  

There's a reason why the country of Locke, Smith, Hume, Mills, etc didn't join until 1972... Wink

The people who created and run the EU are mostly French bureacrat types, such as Monet, Delors, etc.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2004, 06:36:48 PM »

'73 actually, but why quibble?
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 08:58:47 PM »

Probably a small drop in the markets.. I'd be more concerned about a draft under Kerry, and I'd be more worried about terrorism under Kerry.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 06:28:53 AM »

'73 actually, but why quibble?

OK...I first wrote '73, then I changed it...I only remembered tha it was under the Heath government, 1970-1974. The last pro-Europe Conservative government. It's even more confused by the fact that the referendum on it was held after they joined.

I do think that the Norwegian referendum was in 1972...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies