Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:40:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.  (Read 77756 times)
Thatkat04
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: November 21, 2018, 12:26:21 AM »

Isn't the owner of Whole Foods a hardcore Republican?  I remember him calling the ACA fascism if I'm not mistaken.

I thought Amazon owned Whole Foods now?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #526 on: November 21, 2018, 12:28:38 AM »

Democrats are racist for not letting her run unopposed.

Not everything is about your political party. Her loss is not a bad reflection on Democrats, but it is a sad event for America. If you're a partisan Democrat and that's all you really care about, go ahead and celebrate McAdams' win. You should. It's as an American that I feel sad about it.

As long as we have a two party system, ceding the Republican Party to racism means racism will never be effectively neutered in our society.

No offense but you're wrong.  It doesn't reflect badly on America that one AA woman was unable to get elected when so many others were in majority-white districts.
It only reflects badly on Republicans who are unable to appeal to their voter base with female, nonwhite candidates.  Seeing the diversity of the new members of Congress, I would say America is doing fine (and it doesn't make a difference that all the diversity is in one party).  Republicans with their racist rhetoric are getting what they deserve.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #527 on: November 21, 2018, 12:37:13 AM »

Mia Love was so opposed to Trump's bigotry that she voted with him 99% of the time. Very brave of her.

+100. Though i mourn near-death state of real moderate Republicanism - i will not mourn her defeat, because she really voted 99% with him. Her being Black changes nothing for me.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #528 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »

<Sigh> I kinda like Hurd. I wish he were in a safe R seat instead of almost any other TX congresscritter in such districts.

Maybe he could move to Galveston and primary Gohmert? Grin

You'd want Hurd to lose by 50+ points and get humiliated?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #529 on: November 21, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »

Isn't the owner of Whole Foods a hardcore Republican?  I remember him calling the ACA fascism if I'm not mistaken.

I thought Amazon owned Whole Foods now?

The entire Whole Foods thing is a bit old skool,  and the CEO took massive hits as well as the overall REV/EXP P/L Models as a direct result of this....

Was living in Tejas at the time not far from Corp Whole Foods HQ and Original Store in Austin, visited every Whole Foods Store in Metro Austin and Houston, searching for my wife's favorite "berry cider", and like tons of folks we would go to the store to get deals on organic foods at discount prices, tried to minimize the time at the Deli (Although in South Bay NorCal the Deli in Cupertino was exquisite...

I suspect the collapse of Whole Foods had less to do with the political items regarding ACA and extremely foolish statements from the CEO on that matter, and more at that point the "Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck" meme was starting to kick around among younger consumers that couldn't afford the bread to pay for the costs of all of the awesomeness in the stores after the Great Recession Hit, and unfortunately for Whole Foods business model they dramatically expanded at the worst time...

Politically, I think the entire "Whole Foods" vs "Walmart" angle that media pundits have been promoting since the '08 PRES Election (Including Nate Silver---- are you lurking man???) has become a complete nothing-burger along the lines of who drives Cars and Trucks in various counties as part of a fictional pseudo-science, as opposed to real political science...

I like Dave Wasserman, I like Whole Foods, but really attempting to use marketing research to explain actual election results is so passe and so 2008...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #530 on: November 21, 2018, 12:44:43 AM »

<Sigh> I kinda like Hurd. I wish he were in a safe R seat instead of almost any other TX congresscritter in such districts.

Maybe he could move to Galveston and primary Gohmert? Grin

You'd want Hurd to lose by 50+ points and get humiliated?

Again - +100. Republican base, probably, barely tolerates Hurd even in TX-23, but he is, most likely, the only one in party able to hold this district for them. In TX-01 it would be "quite another matter"....
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #531 on: November 21, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »

Not everything is about your political party. Her loss is not a bad reflection on Democrats, but it is a sad event for America. If you're a partisan Democrat and that's all you really care about, go ahead and celebrate McAdams' win. You should. It's as an American that I feel sad about it.

As long as we have a two party system, ceding the Republican Party to racism means racism will never be effectively neutered in our society.

No offense but you're wrong.  It doesn't reflect badly on America that one AA woman was unable to get elected when so many others were in majority-white districts.
It only reflects badly on Republicans who are unable to appeal to their voter base with female, nonwhite candidates.  Seeing the diversity of the new members of Congress, I would say America is doing fine (and it doesn't make a difference that all the diversity is in one party).  Republicans with their racist rhetoric are getting what they deserve.

The thing is, that is where we disagree fundamentally. America is a two-party system. That means the Republicans will get power about half the time. It does reflect badly on America when one of the major parties is totally damaged.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #532 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:59 AM »

No offense but you're wrong.  It doesn't reflect badly on America that one AA woman was unable to get elected when so many others were in majority-white districts.
It only reflects badly on Republicans who are unable to appeal to their voter base with female, nonwhite candidates.  Seeing the diversity of the new members of Congress, I would say America is doing fine (and it doesn't make a difference that all the diversity is in one party).  Republicans with their racist rhetoric are getting what they deserve.

The thing is, that is where we disagree fundamentally. America is a two-party system. That means the Republicans will get power about half the time. It does reflect badly on America when one of the major parties is totally damaged.

Maybe they won't from now on, if they continue with the racist rhetoric.  For how long will their tactics work for them, especially as their voters get older and die, and are being replaced by more progressive young voters.  They will have to change or they will become obsolete at some point.  The demographics are simply against them.

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #533 on: November 21, 2018, 02:12:01 AM »

I don’t care if some malevolent feelings or thoughts helped put McAdams over the top, just good riddance to Mia Love.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #534 on: November 21, 2018, 03:06:07 AM »

I don’t care if some malevolent feelings or thoughts helped put McAdams over the top, just good riddance to Mia Love.

I am rather "anti-partisan" in my views, but in this case may only agree...
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #535 on: November 21, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »

The GA-07 recount will begin at 10am EST today.  Woodall leads by 419 votes (0.14%).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #536 on: November 21, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »

The GA-07 recount will begin at 10am EST today.  Woodall leads by 419 votes (0.14%).

Glad it's underway. Just want conclusive results at this point, although I'm not hopeful about the margin shifting.

Any word on how long the recount will take?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #537 on: November 21, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »

Mia Love gave no love. And that's why she lost. Sorry, Mia.

I'm sorry, I abhor everything about that man but that line was too damn funny. And only funny because Mia Love DID vote with him 99% of the time, so I don't feel bad for her whatsoever. And the fact that she was about to sue to get counties to stop counting bc she knew she was gonna lose. Bye girl.

Is there any more in depth exit polls out there yet, breaking down overall House vote by Gender AND age? (ex: White Males 18-29, White Women 18-29, etc.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #538 on: November 21, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »

If she lost because of any racism, it wasn't racism on the backs of Democrats or people who lied to pollsters about wanting to vote for her. Enough Republicans stayed home.
Thatkat04
« Reply #539 on: November 21, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »

Mia Love won by 12% in 2016. While I'm sure some people didn't vote for her because of race, a big chunk of her 2016 coalition didn't vote for her either.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #540 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

Mia Love won by 12% in 2016. While I'm sure some people didn't vote for her because of race, a big chunk of her 2016 coalition didn't vote for her either.

she lost by 600 votes
Although it isn't a very race based district and it probably didnt cost her thousands of votes it could have cost her the 700.
psychprofessor

« Reply #541 on: November 21, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »

Dave Wasserman

Verified account

@Redistrict
Follow Follow @Redistrict
More
At the rate late-counted ballots have broken, #CA21 Rep. David Valadao (R) isn’t just in “jeopardy,” he’s probably the underdog. That means the likeliest House outcome at the moment is a Dem gain of *40 seats.*
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #542 on: November 21, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »

Wasserman's statement does not appear to be based on any vote dump since the last one, where Silver opined that the race was projected to be within a 100 votes either way. So maybe Wasserman has some different mathematical method in mind than Silver, or just got it wrong.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #543 on: November 21, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »

Wasserman's statement does not appear to be based on any vote dump since the last one, where Silver opined that the race was projected to be within a 100 votes either way. So maybe Wasserman has some different mathematical method in mind than Silver, or just got it wrong.

wasserman just got rekt on Mcadams
He was saying it was Likely R and it was tough to see Mia love lose. Gerhkhe rekt him.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #544 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »

Mia Love gave no love. And that's why she lost. Sorry, Mia.

I'm sorry, I abhor everything about that man but that line was too damn funny.

hahahahahahahahahaha

I feel the same way.  He may be a horrible president, but he's really funny at times, even if it's unintentional.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #545 on: November 21, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 01:49:50 PM by 2016 »

The Democrat won't win the GA-7 Recount.

Final House Tally 235-200 assuming Valadao loses in CA-21.

I predicted 235-200 Pre-Election.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #546 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »

The Democrat won win the GA-7 Recount.

snip

Link?

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #547 on: November 21, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »

His post sent me frantically looking through Twitter in excitement.

Damn him.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #548 on: November 21, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »

His post sent me frantically looking through Twitter in excitement.

Damn him.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #549 on: November 21, 2018, 01:57:42 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 02:01:44 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

2016 is pushing #FakeNews.  Edit: he made a typo initially and has corrected it.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies