Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:47:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.  (Read 77718 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2018, 03:12:00 AM »

#Dominating

I remember when the pundits assured me this was a pure toss up race. Clearly Rohrabacher's 30% of the vote in the jungle primary was a major sign of strength.
Still waiting for the votes from Moscow to come in.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2018, 06:00:37 AM »

#Dominating

I remember when the pundits assured me this was a pure toss up race. Clearly Rohrabacher's 30% of the vote in the jungle primary was a major sign of strength.
Still waiting for the votes from Moscow to come in.

As Moscow citizen can assure you, that we have much more important business on our hands..
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »

It doesn't sound like they weight for one of a couple things-

That CA (the largest state) was D vs. D
That the states not holding senate elections this year were disproportionately red states
Thatkat04
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

I think Nate Silver and Harry Enten read Sean T.'s article about how 2018 wasn't a wave election.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

Kinda feel bad for laughing, but damn that’s hilarious.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »

#Dominating

There seems to be a race between Rouda and Hill for who is the second-biggest pickup after Levin. I hope Katie wins, but either way those are really strong numbers.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »

A small # of additional votes from Kings County in CA-21:

This one is closer to the Hillary numbers, with Valadao over-performing them only very slightly.

We have not gotten any updates from Kern in a long time (the most Dem part of CA-21), so when they do report we might get a big dump. If the next Kern dump is big, Cox needs it to be good, and for it to either put him outright in the lead or at least close to it.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2018, 02:05:23 PM by Queen Pelosi, Regina of the House, Regnant of Amerittania 👁 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
incorrect

R+12

But even if you do that, the other district that does contain SLC will presumably go north into Davis County and will end up about R+5 or so. That will be the case unless SLC is split into even more pieces, which any nonpartisan map wouldn't really do...
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »

Nope. You can't draw a Safe R seat entirely within Salt Lake City or Salt Lake County.

Salt Lake City is really Democratic, and the GOP areas within the county are just too small to create a whole CD out of.
incorrect

R+12

But even if you do that, the other district that does contain SLC will presumably go north into Davis County and will end up about R+5 or so. That will be the case unless SLC is split into even more pieces, which any nonpartisan map wouldn't really do...
[/quote]
nope. then you put actually SLC in with UBER republican rurals and end up with a R+19 district or so.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »

nope. then you put actually SLC in with UBER republican rurals and end up with a R+19 district or so.

You would it if were an R gerrymander, but I don't see how a commission would do that. To get to the R rural areas you would have to either cross Salt Lake or cross mountains to the east to get to the rurals. That is not a very natural way for the district to go. If you do have that district you drew in south SL County, then it is much more natural to combine SL City with Davis County, which is not rural and is just to the north (and is also less R than the rurals). And with population growth, it would probably end up going substantially less far north than here, which makes it less R.

I would say that something like this with the blue district R+6 is the worst case realistic scenario for Dems from a non-partisan commission, and if someone like McAdams could win the red district it could even be a dummymander from the R perspective:

Junior Chimp

« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »

I disagree a whole lot what Nate Silver wrote on his Twitter about the Senate.

From a historial Perspective what Republicans have done in the Senate since Obama took Office in 2009 is nothing short of SPECTACULAR

2010: They knocked off two Incumbents in Blanche Lincoln and Russ Feingold
2014: They beat Incumbents in Arkansas (Pryor), Louisiana (Landrieu), Alaska (Begich), Colorado (M. Udall), North Carolina (Hagan)
2018: They defeated Incumbents in Indiana (Donnelly), North Dakota (Heitkamp), Missouri (McCaskill) and Florida (Nelson)

Defeating Incumbents is very hard thing to do.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »

Orange dropped. Cisneros lead at over 3K votes-

We should be getting a call from AP tonight since they called the 45th for Porter when she had a 3K vote lead.

Huh, this is it. Nixon's hometown, and presidential library are about to be represented by a Democrat.

I'm salivating at that thought.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »

We should be getting a call from AP tonight since they called the 45th for Porter when she had a 3K vote lead.

Huh, this is it. Nixon's hometown, and presidential library are about to be represented by a Democrat.

Reagan’s library will also be represented by a Democrat

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

Reagan’s library will also be represented by a Democrat

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Someone is rolling in their grave...
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »

You would it if were an R gerrymander, but I don't see how a commission would do that. To get to the R rural areas you would have to either cross Salt Lake or cross mountains to the east to get to the rurals. That is not a very natural way for the district to go. If you do have that district you drew in south SL County, then it is much more natural to combine SL City with Davis County, which is not rural and is just to the north (and is also less R than the rurals). And with population growth, it would probably end up going substantially less far north than here, which makes it less R.

I would say that something like this with the blue district R+6 is the worst case realistic scenario for Dems from a non-partisan commission, and if someone like McAdams could win the red district it could even be a dummymander from the R perspective:

I was under the impression that this was a very loose redistricting bill, and just set up loose rules
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »

I was under the impression that this was a very loose redistricting bill, and just set up loose rules

https://ballotpedia.org/Utah_Proposition_4,_Independent_Redistricting_Commission_Initiative_(2018)

I would think this should mean that Salt Lake City is not split and there should be 1 district within Salt Lake County. It should make it hard to have a SLC + rural district because that would not be particularly compact, would not allow for ease of transport (you either have to cross mountains or the Great Salt Lake), and it wouldn't follow natural and geographic boundaries/barriers. The only way to really follow natural boundaries from Salt Lake City is either to north into Davis County or South into the rest of Salt Lake County.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »

aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »

A question I’ve been thinking of: would TJ Cox have won if he were Hispanic? I think the answer is almost certainly yes if you look at the legislative results. Hispanic Democratic state Senate challenger Melissa Hurtado is on track to beat Anglo incumbent R Senator Andy Vidak in the overlapping district by 10%. She wasn’t that well funded comparatively or anything special like that to explain the divergence.
TJ’s not out yet, and I think he might eek it. It couldn’t have hurt him, though.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2018, 05:32:45 PM by Lou Barletta's Teeth »

Are we getting any LA dumps today?

And when will the NY-22 recount end?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »

Good riddance to them!
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »

This pic is getting heavily fact-checked on Twitter.... may be too good to be true.

Good riddance to them!
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »

https://ballotpedia.org/Utah_Proposition_4,_Independent_Redistricting_Commission_Initiative_(2018)

I would think this should mean that Salt Lake City is not split and there should be 1 district within Salt Lake County. It should make it hard to have a SLC + rural district because that would not be particularly compact, would not allow for ease of transport (you either have to cross mountains or the Great Salt Lake), and it wouldn't follow natural and geographic boundaries/barriers. The only way to really follow natural boundaries from Salt Lake City is either to north into Davis County or South into the rest of Salt Lake County.
are you sure they can't just pull a Florida... I am sure courts would side them?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »

Are we getting any LA dumps today?

And when will the NY-22 recount end?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to: