Southeast Initiatives for November
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:33:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southeast Initiatives for November
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Southeast Initiatives for November  (Read 2766 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »

If a team has a record of 6 wins, 2 loses, and 1 tie, is there win percentage 75% or 67%?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 10:22:07 PM »

Depends on how you look at it. If you look at is as they won 6 out of 9 games, it's 67%. If you look at it as they won 6 out of 8 decisions, they are 75%.

Same here when either 12 out of 20 people approved it and 8 out of 20 didn't approve of it or 12 out of 17 approved it and 5 out of 17 disapproved of it.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 10:24:41 PM »

Initiative 95: Second Concealed Carry Initiative

Section One: Concealed Carry
1. All persons shall have the right to conceal and carry firearms in public areas, except as otherwise provided by this law.
2. It shall not be necessary to obtain a license or pay a fee to be able to conceal and carry firearms.
3. The right to conceal and carry firearms shall not extend to anyone under the age of eighteen, to anyone who is insane, or to anyone whose right to bear arms has been suspended as a punishment for the commission of a crime.
4. The Concealed Carry Initiative (Initiative 37) is hereby repealed.

Section Two: Disallowing Concealed Carry
1. Any individual may disallow the concealed carrying of firearms on his private property.
2. The government may disallow the concealed carrying of firearms in any government-owned building, including but not limited to courthouses and schools.

Note: This initiative is meant to introduce Vermont-style concealed carry laws to the Southeast.

I like it but one clarification:
Section Two includes "individual"s and "government"; does this exclude partnerships and corporations?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 10:26:37 PM »

Given the election has ended almost 96 hours ago, is it too late to challenge the certification?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »

# 95 takes it a bit too far. I'd rather not discover that the person allowed to carry a concealed weapon was crazy [b[after[/b] the crime was committed. Licensing is the gun control measure that actually makes sense to have.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 10:33:04 PM »

The Lt. Governor could hold the title of Lottery Commissioner and could be designated as the person who compiles the initiatives and handles the elections. Just to give something to do.

I assured voters that I would be in charge of elections; the Lt. Gov. could serve to assist and help to verify. If we have the option of secret ballots, the Lt. Gov and/or the Magistrate could also get copies of those ballots to help ensure fairness. The Lt. Gov could oversee the referendum thread, as a legislative leader would- and  the referendums really are our legislature.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 01:39:11 AM »

The Lt. Governor could hold the title of Lottery Commissioner and could be designated as the person who compiles the initiatives and handles the elections. Just to give something to do.

I assured voters that I would be in charge of elections; the Lt. Gov. could serve to assist and help to verify. If we have the option of secret ballots, the Lt. Gov and/or the Magistrate could also get copies of those ballots to help ensure fairness. The Lt. Gov could oversee the referendum thread, as a legislative leader would- and  the referendums really are our legislature.

I'd be willing to do that.  The first option, however, made by Jake, not such a big fan of.  Wink
A real job?  NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 07:36:16 AM »

Section Two includes "individual"s and "government"; does this exclude partnerships and corporations?
Good point; I've changed the term to "person" (which would include both natural persons and artificial persons).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 08:18:06 AM »

LOL! I know what you mean - they've been making me work lately with their accursed court cases, making me set precedents and crap. Smiley
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2005, 01:22:23 PM »

LOL! I know what you mean - they've been making me work lately with their accursed court cases, making me set precedents and crap. Smiley

My intention is to run the elections so smoothly you won't have any cases relating to that.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 02:10:09 PM »

Lucky bastard. I only had to hear two cases in the Northeast, and I haven't had to do anything yet as Lt. Governor. At least I have the Prog Caucus, the Centrist Coalition, the New Generation Caucus, the AHL, and several bills I am writing to keep me busy.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 03:58:09 PM »

I have a question: Initiative 62 requires the appointment of a "Bill of Rights Commission"; has such a commission be appointed, and if not, will one be instituted?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 06:29:15 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2005, 06:35:07 PM by Governor TCash »

I have a question: Initiative 62 requires the appointment of a "Bill of Rights Commission"; has such a commission be appointed, and if not, will one be instituted?

Submitted for your approval:

Initiative 62: Bill of Rights Commission Initiative

§1. Findings
    It is desirable that a Bill of Rights be added to the Southeast Constitution in a manner that will cause the least acrimony over what may be included or excluded.

§2. Commission
    The Governor shall appoint a Bill of Rights Commission of at least 3 and no more than 7 persons.  The Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Magistrate shall be appointed ex offico to this commission unless they expressly decline the position.

§3. Draft Content
    In the event that an Amendment providing for a Bill of Rights should pass in the same referendum as this initiative, the commission shall draft a proposal for amending that Bill of Rights otherwise it shall draft a Bill of Rights that shall be added as a separate article to our Constitution.

§4. Timetable
    The Governor must appoint the members of the Commission no later than October 1 of this year. The Commission must prepare a report no later than November 1 of this year indicating whether a majority of the Commission supports a draft as specified in section 3 for inclusion on the November referendum.  If no draft is so supported, the Commision may by a majority vote extend its term to December 1 of this year so as to prepare a draft for inclusion on the December referendum.

Alright, heres what I see above. The commission was supposed to be created by Oct 1, so this was under Bono's term. Also, I believe a bill of rights was adopted, so the commission would be drafting recommendations for amendment.

I'd like to hear from the former governor if this has taken place.

If it hasn't taken place, what do others think- since we've passed the start date and are VERY close to the report date. Also, Ernest proposed this amendment; I'd like to hear his position on picking it up now.

Let's clarify before we continue.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »

BTW, TCash, I'll be willing to help with the Southeast Government website if you're not sure what to do- I do need to update all of the latest initiative pages and such sometime soon.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 06:39:40 PM »

BTW, TCash, I'll be willing to help with the Southeast Government website if you're not sure what to do- I do need to update all of the latest initiative pages and such sometime soon.

I'll give it a shot. I've got the id and password, but where do I sign in? When I go to the basic geocities sign in page, it doesn't seem to acknowledge the id. Could you give me a link to the sign in?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2005, 06:44:03 PM »

Actually, I'm in now. Let me study it a bit and see what questions I have. Thanks, Ebowed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

That sounds like a good idea.  Until an initiative regarding the powers and responsibilities of the Lieutenant Governor is worked out, consider my Initiative 94 suspended for now.

Also, x Q on Initiative 92.

Actually as it stands now, if there is not a Lottery Commisioner, the Lt. Governor has those duties, hust as he does when there is no Alcohol Commissioner, no Tobacco Commissioner, no Hemp and Cannabis Commissioner, and no Transportation Commisioner.  Back when I was governor, I set up a number of these Commissions and with the exception of the Lottery Commission, I set them up by Initiative not Regulation. They all have the feature that if there is not a Commissioner appointed by the Governor, their duties fall onto the shoulders of the Lt. Governor.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2005, 01:16:25 PM »

Good point; I've changed the term to "person" (which would include both natural persons and artificial persons).
Actually it wouldn't do that. Initiative #16 which would have codified that interpretation into Southeast law was rejected back in January.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2005, 07:32:47 PM »

I think that's why he changed it to "person." To clarify, I think it needs to include partnerships and corporations so that, say, strip club owners and bars can, if they wish, ask people to leave guns outside.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2005, 12:55:15 AM »

Oh yeah, Inits 83 and 91 will have revotes next month due to tied results this month.

Initiative 96: Abortion Restriction Initiative

1. Prohibition

It shall be against the law to induce an abortion in the Southeast Region except in the case of a severe threat to the mother's life.

2. Responsibility

Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall have any existing licence from the Southeast Region or a subdivision thereof to practice a medical profession revoked and shall be permanently barred from the same.

3. Penalties

Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall be sentenced to a minimum of two years in prison or a maxium of twenty years in prison. Any person knowingly facilitating the inducement of a prohibited abortion shall be subject to a criminal fine of $500,000.

4. Repealed Legislation

The Abortion Initiative is hereby repealed.

X Ebowed
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2005, 12:57:51 AM »

Initiative 94 (Lottery Commissioner Accountability Initiative) needs two more signatures to be placed on the ballot also.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2005, 01:43:34 AM »

I sign on any initiative still needing signatures.

Brandon H.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2005, 06:32:24 AM »

Actually it wouldn't do that. Initiative #16 which would have codified that interpretation into Southeast law was rejected back in January.
Well, whether codified or not, the legal term "person" has always been accepted to include corporations as artificial persons. This seems to be the most concise way of expressing "individuals, partnerships, and corporations."
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2005, 08:32:22 AM »

I sign for #96 and #94.

Initiative 97: Community Choice Initiative

1. Municipalities in the Southeast shall be permitted to enact laws blocking any facility that preforms abortions from its jurisdiction.

2. This initiative shall not be construed to include hospitals, which may preform life saving abortions, in the aforementioned definition of "facility".

Initiative 98: Southeast Prison Board Initiative

1. The Southeast shall form a permenant Prison Board to maintain the day-to-day operation of prisons under the Southeast's jurisdiction.

2. The head of this board shall be the Prison Commissioner and shall be appointed by the Governor. If the post shall fall vacant, the Lt. Governor shall fill the position until a new commissioner is appointed.

3. The Prison Board shall be responsible for appointing parole boards, enacting lawful regulations on conditions inside prisons, approving methods of rehabilitation, and carrying out any executive order by the Governor concerning methods of punishment.

Initiative 99: Public Assistance in Abortion Ban

1. No facility in the Southeast who preforms abortion for any reason shall be permitted the use of public money.

2. No agency of the Southeast government shall be permitted to aid, in any way, in the procurement or preformance of an abortion.

3. This initiative shall not be construed to include prisons or hospitals, which may preform life saving abortions, in the aforementioned definition of facility, as long as all abortions preformed are done under severe threat to the mother's life.

4. Failure to comply with this initiative shall result in the removal of 75% of the current year's funding in the next fiscal year. A second failure to comply will result in a complete removal of public funding for a period of one fiscal year. Any additional failures to comply will result in a permenant removal of public funding.

5. Any officer of the Southeast Government who fails to comply with the terms of this initiative shall be fined $ 250,000 for each offense.

I sign for all three.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2005, 03:42:47 PM »

X Ebowed on all three
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length