Democratic Leadership Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Author Topic: Democratic Leadership Elections  (Read 27354 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »

Fudge is apparently just one of two House Democrats who refuses to cosponsor the Equality Act.

The other, of course, being Dan Lipinski.

So if this is who the anti-Pelosi faction is unifying around, I'm not surprised.

Yes, Fudge is totally anti-LGBT because she didn't co sponsor a bill...

Yes, in fact cosponsoring and supporting things in terms of votes is more important to the efforts for equality than wearing some face paint and making some public statements.

Nothing in her record suggests she's anti-LGBT in anyway, this is like saying if a member doesn't vote for a omnibus they don't want to fund cancer research or whatever else is stuffed in a budget.

http://www.ontheissues.org/OH/Marcia_Fudge_Civil_Rights.htm

Nothing in Pelosi's record suggests she is racist either, and yet Fudge does her dog whistle thing.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2018, 02:35:58 PM by Former Kentuckian »

The only progressive outside of the list that I can think of saying they wouldn't support Pelosi is Tlaib during the campaign season. But I haven't seen her railing against Pelosi after her victory. Maybe she's gonna vote for her now.

If other progressives back Pelosi, I'm willing to bet Tlaib does too. The progressive faction might not be fond of Pelosi, but they seem to be steering clear of this leadership stuff. They're not mentioned in any of the articles, and they're not on any lists. This seems to be a moderate/conservative Democrat revolt judging by the list and Fudge.

Not to mention that Ocasio-Cortez could have mentioned opposition to Pelosi during the climate protest at Pelosi's office this week but she didn't. The fact that she focused on putting pressure on Pelosi to get climate change on the menu seems to suggest that she sees Pelosi as the Leader when she'll be in Congress. The fact that Raul Grijalva has pledged to vote for Pelosi probably factors into Ocasio-Cortez's decision, too.
new_patomic

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2018, 02:40:15 PM by new_patomic »

Fudge is apparently just one of two House Democrats who refuses to cosponsor the Equality Act.

The other, of course, being Dan Lipinski.

So if this is who the anti-Pelosi faction is unifying around, I'm not surprised.

Yes, Fudge is totally anti-LGBT because she didn't co sponsor a bill...

Yes, in fact cosponsoring and supporting things in terms of votes is more important to the efforts for equality than wearing some face paint and making some public statements.

Nothing in her record suggests she's anti-LGBT in anyway, this is like saying if a member doesn't vote for a omnibus they don't want to fund cancer research or whatever else is stuffed in a budget.

http://www.ontheissues.org/OH/Marcia_Fudge_Civil_Rights.htm

Look, I don't think she's homophobic. I don't count her as being the same as Dan Lipinski.

But when it comes down to it the most expansive legislation we have for protecting LGBT people across the country is cosponsored by all but two House Democrats. Elijah Cummings, Danny K. Davis, Jim Clyburn, they apparently don't have the same problems with it as she does. Tim Ryan, Seth Moulton, Jim Cooper, none of them have withheld their support.

So as unfair as it may be to her, I don't want her for Speaker, and this is going to be my red line. If you don't back the Equality Act, you're not going to be considered.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »

Smart guy. I'm glad Dems are waking up to how poisonous she is. 
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It is.

This is why it is hilarious and sad how some dumb progressives on here are cheering this on. If Ryan and Moulton get their way, Democrats will be cutting deals with R's like it is 2001. If that happens, I don't want to hear from these people anymore.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »

I mean its a trump+8 district. These votes are smart. Even Pelosi won't hold major grudges over these votes. The problem for her is that people in safer districts don't want her like Moulton, Tim Ryan, cooper and Fudge and are taking advantage of this.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »

It is.

This is why it is hilarious and sad how some dumb progressives on here are cheering this on. If Ryan and Moulton get their way, Democrats will be cutting deals with R's like it is 2001. If that happens, I don't want to hear from these people anymore.

This is a generational thing more than a ideological one.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »

It is.

I do think that's true.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »

Let's pretend for a minute that this revolt won't be a complete disaster and that they actually do succeed in replacing Pelosi. Would she continue on as a rank-and-file Representative until the next election or would she resign from office?
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »

Why are Dems so interested in holding on to fossils in leadership? The GOP is always willing to innovate. We don't see Newt Gingrich being the House minority leader, do we? 
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »

Would be shocking if she lost.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »

Let's pretend for a minute that this revolt won't be a complete disaster and that they actually do succeed in replacing Pelosi. Would she continue on as a rank-and-file Representative until the next election or would she resign from office?
I think she resigns but not sure as the majority is quite narrow(only 14 votes.)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »

It is.

Really? Then why are they propping up a 66 year old?

This isn't a generational thing. It is about ideology. The "revolt" is coming from moderate white guys, who are politically inept and think it is the late 90's and early 2000's.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »

It is.

I think it's about growing up with the same person in power rather than age (same with Bernie and Hillary).

The young progressive attitude toward Pelosi on here is generational, but you're right that the actual revolt in Congress is led by moderates
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »

It is.

I think it's about growing up with the same person in power rather than age (same with Bernie and Hillary).

The young progressive attitude toward Pelosi on here is generational, but you're right that the actual revolt in Congress is led by moderates

This would be fine and dandy if the people potentially replacing Pelosi were young progressives. But they aren't. It is just incredibly dumb for any progressive to cheer this on. Again, if Moulton and Ryan are successful, then we are going right back to 2001 and that would be a disaster.

Luckily, most progressive in congress are smarter then the some of the dopes on here and realize that they would be shooting themselves in the foot by signing on to this nonsense.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2018, 03:44:05 PM by Former Kentuckian »

It is.

This would be fine and dandy if the people potentially replacing Pelosi were young progressives. But they aren't. It is just incredibly dumb for any progressive to cheer this on. Again, if Moulton and Ryan are successful, then we are going right back to 2001 and that would be a disaster.

Luckily, most progressive in congress are smarter then the some of the dopes on here and realize that they would be shooting themselves in the foot by signing on to this nonsense.

I do think you're right in that it's important to distinguish between progressives in Congress and progressives on Atlas lol Atlas users (of any ideological stripe) aren't exactly known for their critical thinking skills lol

But I do think a lot of the progressives here on Atlas are very young (or seem to be. Most seem to identify as Millennials or Generation Z) and are getting excited over the potential change in leadership (something they've never experienced/weren't old enough to experience) and aren't aware of the ramifications.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2018, 03:48:00 PM »

It is.

I do think you're right in that it's important to distinguish between progressives in Congress and progressives on Atlas lol Atlas users (of any ideological stripe) aren't exactly known for their critical thinking skills lol

But I do think a lot of the progressives here on Atlas are very young (or seem to be. Most seem to identify as Millennials or Generation Z) and are getting excited over the potential change in leadership (something they've never experienced/weren't old enough to experience) and aren't aware of the ramifications.
Here we are chattering about throwing back to '01, when Pelosi is a literal throwback to '09. Hmm, what happened a year later, may I ask? The progressives need to join in and put their money where their mouth is and throw out the centrist fossil calling for "bipartisanship".
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »

I don't see youth as being an excuse. I am a millennial as well and even though I would like to see young progressives take over, I am smart enough to realize that this gambit doesn't do that and even so right now is not the time to do so.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »

Pelosi has never called for or governed in a way based on "bipartisanship".

The Senate in Obama's first term with Lieberman and a bunch of Blue Dogs, sure. But not Pelosi.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »

It is.

I'm Gen Z. I'm also a progressive. I also strongly support Pelosi, who is our best bet for obstructing the hell out of this White House, not a faux progressive, whose record, comments, and background are anything but.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »

This guy wants to be Democrats' new leader. Seriously.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:18 PM »

This guy wants to be Democrats' new leader. Seriously.

He is politically inept. However, since he is white guy from the midwest, people pretend that he is a serious person.

Get him the **** out of here.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »

This would be fine and dandy if the people potentially replacing Pelosi were young progressives. But they aren't.

I don't think we really know who would be replacing her.  Fudge may be the stand in at the moment, but she's not going to win a majority of the Democratic caucus.  Instead, the coup would succeed by enough Dems vowing not to vote for Pelosi as Speaker on the floor (even she commands majority support in the caucus) that she gives up and withdraws.  Axios reported early this year that Pelosi was open to doing just that: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=287347.0

At that point, if Pelosi gives up, the Speakership is up for grabs by whoever in the caucus can win everyone over, and that probably won't be anyone currently supporting the coup.  In fact, Pelosi might be able to maneuver things towards a successor of her choice, whoever that might be.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2018, 06:23:40 PM »

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

If I can't be speaker no one can-Nancy Pelosi/s

In all actuality I can't see Pelosi letting it get to that point. If she fails the first floor vote I think she steps aside rather then let Trump and the GOP attack the Democrats for being unable to field a speaker.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies