Democratic Leadership Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:36:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Author Topic: Democratic Leadership Elections  (Read 26552 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2018, 11:43:49 AM by Gass3268 »

UncleSam

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:37:15 PM »

Nah Trump will tell the Rs to vote for her. She’ll have enough votes easily.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »

She will get there.

I don't know what Ryan and Moulton think they will accomplish with this. They block Pelosi, then they are done in Democratic politics.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »

#SpeakerOjeda
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »

I have full confidence Pelosi will be Speaker come Jannuary, and would be seriously disappointed in my party should she not be.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »

Here are those signed to the anti-Pelosi letter:

Does not include others who have been equality definitive against here: Conor Lamb, Abigail Spanberger, Jason Crow, Andy Kim, etc.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »

if 17 people in a letter say no and there are 235 dems(an optimistic estimate Pelosi looks doomed)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »

Every single one of them will be toast in two years if they allow R's to pick the speaker.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2018, 06:27:52 PM by Lou Barletta's Teeth »

Every single one of them will be toast in two years if they allow R's to pick the speaker.

Probably not.

Anyways, Pelosi will probably get the numbers she needs. The progressives opposing her don't have a clear unified choice to oppose her besides maybe Barabara Lee, and there's no way she'd challenge Nancy. She's too loyal to her.
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »

It’s one thing to oppose Pelosi in a caucus vote, another to vote against her on the House floor.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »

How can you take seriously these guys when they won't even field an alternative to Pelosi?
This seems to me like a lot of posturing and bluffing.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »

Probably not.

Anyways, Pelosi will probably get the numbers she needs. The progressives opposing her don't have a clear unified choice to oppose her besides maybe Barabara Lee, and she's fiercely loyal to Nancy. 

It isn't progressives that are opposing her, it is the centrists.

Like I said, all of them will be toast in two years if they allow the speakership to go to the Republicans. The base isn't going to stand for Democrats who helped tanked their chance to control the legislative agenda.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »

Probably not.

Anyways, Pelosi will probably get the numbers she needs. The progressives opposing her don't have a clear unified choice to oppose her besides maybe Barabara Lee, and she's fiercely loyal to Nancy. 

Like I said, all of them will be toast in two years if they allow the speakership to go to the Republicans. The base isn't going to stand for Democrats who helped tanked their chance to control the legislative agenda.

Progressives were opposing her but I think she consolidated that vote.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »

Probably not.

Yup.

Now hopefully she picks off the freshmen on this list one by one and then buries Seth Moulton and Tim Ryan back in the political graveyard.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »

Probably not.

Yup.

Now hopefully she picks off the freshmen on this list one by one and then buries Seth Moulton and Tim Ryan back in the political graveyard.

I think Van Drew to Mcadams have a reasonable excuse and even she won't go for them.
Kurt Schrader also probably shouldn't vote for Pelosi but the rest all live in Safe D seats for the future besides Cooper who is gonna get gerrymandered.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »

Good, stop Pelosi.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »

Fudge is apparently running but I think the strategy is to force her to withdraw completely and not necessarily put up a candidate. I could see more serious people like Hakeem Jeffries or Cedric Richmond running if Pelosi were forced out.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »

Probably not.

I'm pretty sure the speaker can't be elected by a mere plurality, so there shouldn't be any danger of that.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »

Probably not.

Yup.

I think Van Drew to Mcadams have a reasonable excuse and even she won't go for them.
Kurt Schrader also probably shouldn't vote for Pelosi but the rest all live in Safe D seats for the future besides Cooper who is gonna get gerrymandered.
Kurt Schrader will never lose, and t makes no sense he opposes Pelosi.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »

If Barbara Lee is supporting Pelosi, that is a good reason to support her... I think I care more who wins Caucus Chair than Speaker lol Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »

I'm guessing she'll be fine in the end. A bunch of these will grandstand in the caucus vote and then fall in line for the floor vote.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 11:13:44 PM »

Why doesn’t Pelosi just pull a Tom DeLay? Put Karen Bass in as first Black woman Speaker and then drop down to Majority Leader until she’s ready to retire?

Nancy will still be in charge but not one vulnerable member will have to take a tough vote. Hen in two years she can retire after Trump is defeated and let Speaker Bass take the caucus in her own direction...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »

Why doesn’t Pelosi just pull a Tom DeLay? Put Karen BassBarbara Lee in as first Black woman Speaker and then drop down to Majority Leader until she’s ready to retire?

Nancy will still be in charge but not one vulnerable member will have to take a tough vote. Hen in two years she can retire after Trump is defeated and let Speaker Bass take the caucus in her own direction...
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

Why doesn’t Pelosi just pull a Tom DeLay? Put Karen BassBarbara Lee in as first Black woman Speaker and then drop down to Majority Leader until she’s ready to retire?

Speaker is really a behind the scenes grunt work job. Barbara Lee would be a crowd pleaser for the Dem base, but is there any reason to think she would be effective in getting stuff done that Dems would want to get done? I dunno, maybe there is, but I am not sure what the evidence is (if there is any, please do share).

It is very easy to have an ineffective Speaker if you have someone who is not focused and experienced in that behind the scenes grunt work. The Republicans provide a recent example with Paul Ryan. What exactly did he accomplish as Speaker? Not a whole lot, I don't think.

On the other hand, Bass has actual experience leading the Dem majority in the CA House.

So Bass would probably be more effective at doing the actual stuff that Speakers need to do to be effective.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2018, 11:38:01 PM by Beet »

Speaker is really a behind the scenes grunt work job. Barbara Lee would be a crowd pleaser for the Dem base, but is there any reason to think she would be effective in getting stuff done that Dems would want to get done? I dunno, maybe there is, but I am not sure what the evidence is (if there is any, please do share).

It is very easy to have an ineffective Speaker if you have someone who is not focused and experienced in that behind the scenes grunt work. The Republicans provide a recent example with Paul Ryan. What exactly did he accomplish as Speaker? Not a whole lot, I don't think.

On the other hand, Bass has actual experience leading the Dem majority in the CA House.

So Bass would probably be more effective at doing the actual stuff that Speakers need to do to be effective.

If getting things done behind the scenes is what is important, then Pelosi should "remain" Speaker.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies