TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:54:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting  (Read 54025 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »

Like MI, I think the results of this race will closely mirror the presidential race, give or take one or two percentage points. I definitely don’t buy that Cornyn will be harder to beat than Cruz or that he’s much safer than Ernst.
Jon Tester
Rookie

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2018, 01:51:37 AM »

Admiral McRaven would be amazing.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2018, 02:40:20 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2018, 02:47:46 AM by Storr »

Surprised nobody has mentioned Admiral McRaven here yet.

That would probably be one of the best recruiting coups of the cycle if the DSCC were to land that

Definitely. Recruiting McRaven would be on par with the DSCC landing Jim Webb in 2006. He'd have at least some crossover appeal (as much as anyone can have with how polarized things are these days) among Progressives and the military establishment/veterans due his open letter criticizing Trump over revoking John Brennan's security clearance and his very distinguished military service, respectively. I'm not sure any Senate candidate in history has had as lofty of a credential as being the organizer and overseer of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »

I'd imagine McRaven would be more desirable for the party as a VP choice, but I could see him defeating Cornyn (possibly more easily than we imagine, though of course not by any means with ease) if he runs on his service record and takes some liberal domestic stances like Medicare for All or  $15 minimum wage to hold the base.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »

Off topic, but if you had told me before the election that O’Rourke would get 57% in Hays, 51% in Williamson, won Tarrant and Nueces, only lost Denton by 8% and Collin by 6%, AND got about 200k more votes than clinton, I would have predicted he would have narrowly won statewide.

His numbers were quite close to the benchmarks I made before the election. He did very well especially in the Austin and Dallas metros. But he also underperformed by more in some places such as South TX and the Houston area.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »

Off topic, but if you had told me before the election that O’Rourke would get 57% in Hays, 51% in Williamson, won Tarrant and Nueces, only lost Denton by 8% and Collin by 6%, AND got about 200k more votes than clinton, I would have predicted he would have narrowly won statewide.

His numbers were quite close to the benchmarks I made before the election. He did very well especially in the Austin and Dallas metros. But he also underperformed by more in some places such as South TX and the Houston area.
Yeah san antonio dems failed bigly. They didnt even nominate candidates for some offices despite the county sweepd this year. Julian castro is a major coward who might have cost the election.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2018, 08:05:47 PM »

I'd imagine McRaven would be more desirable for the party as a VP choice, but I could see him defeating Cornyn (possibly more easily than we imagine, though of course not by any means with ease) if he runs on his service record and takes some liberal domestic stances like Medicare for All or  $15 minimum wage to hold the base.

McRaven would be pretty much a god-tier level recruit, but is there any actual indication that he is interested in running and also that he REALLY is a Dem in the first place?
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »

McRaven would be pretty much a god-tier level recruit, but is there any actual indication that he is interested in running and also that he REALLY is a Dem in the first place?

If nothing’s changed since this interview, he’s probably not running.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/05/29/bill-mcraven-ut-system-chancellor-texas-higher-education/
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2018, 08:10:54 AM »

I’m not convinced that McRaven running would improve the odds of a Democratic win over some Generic D like Hegar. Beto is probably better. His whole campaign would be so radically different from O’Rourke’s (for obvious reasons). Can you begin to imagine McRaven being enthusiastic enough to drive around the 254 counties constantly and stumping it up? Noriega v2.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »

The only way I could see the Democrats successfully recruiting McRaven is if they successfully convince him that they will be in the majority in 2021 and offer him a plum committee assignment or even a chairmanship (likely to the chagrin of other, senior Senate Dems) right out of the gate as a freshman.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »

Lol imagine endorsing a carbon tax to own the libs. It seems cornyn wont be john culberson 2.0 atleast.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »

Lol imagine endorsing a carbon tax to own the libs. It seems cornyn wont be john culberson 2.0 atleast.

If he's volunteering to lose the primary, be my guest.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2018, 11:16:45 PM by Hindsight is 2020 »

I know he’s not popular on this former but about Cuellar? I could definitely see him winning if Cornyn is primaried by a nutcase
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2018, 12:27:47 AM »

I know he’s not popular on this former but about Cuellar? I could definitely see him winning if Cornyn is primaried by a nutcase
Idelogy rarely matters and cuellar would probably lose a primsry coz austin liberals
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2018, 12:31:56 AM »

I think MJ Hegar is the only real candidate who could generate Beto type levels of excitement and $$, any Senate candidate will have a hard time competing for attention and money with the Presidential race.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2018, 12:32:50 AM »

How about one of the incoming Freshmen?

I think Colin Allred and Lizzie Pannill Fletcher would both make quality nominees.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2018, 04:22:50 AM »

Cuellar has no positive name recognition outside of Laredo and, to a lesser extent, the rest of South Texas.

He's also, um...very Laredo, and that's not necessarily a good thing.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »

Big Politico write-up on how Cornyn is taking the race extremely seriously
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 12:01:19 PM »

atleast he isn't like Marchant and Woodall who fundraised like 5k while some D house candidates are fundraising in the six digits already
History505
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »

Only thing he ain't owning anyone but himself.
History505
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »

Only thing is he ain't owning anyone but himself.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2019, 12:05:54 PM »

A carbon tax is basically a hidden sales tax
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2019, 12:24:08 PM »

Idelogy rarely matters and cuellar would probably lose a primsry coz austin liberals

He would do very poorly Statewide outside of his own District, plus maybe winning a couple congressional districts we're almost no one who votes in the Democratic primary except a handful of demosaurs.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »

A carbon tax is basically a hidden sales tax

Carbon taxes are generally proposed to redistribute all the tax revenue immediately back out on an equal basis to the general population.

People and businesses who use less carbon/GHG than average will get back a net dividend, while people and businesses who use more get some of their income transferred to those who use less, thereby encouraging them to make changes to use less carbon.

In that sense it is really not a tax at all, but rather a system that redistributes of income from expenditures on things that create lots of greenhouse gas emissions to things that do not create lots of greenhouse gas emissions, thereby encouraging a transition to the economy creating less greenhouse gas emissions overall.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »

Yeah, pretty sad that Hillary won Kenedy while he didn't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies