The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:06:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!  (Read 34952 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2019, 06:41:01 PM »

Yup, if Curtis Hill remains on the ballot it is very likely that he will not carry Hamilton County, Indiana.

Not because it will trend into a Democratic county but because it is 1) part of a necessary coalition for a close statewide race in Indiana

WHAT??!?!!!!???!? Shocked
I know you think Hamilton County is a pure toss-up, but it isn't neccesarily part of a "necessary coalition" whereas counties such as Perry and Delaware obviously are.

But this is coming from the guy who thinks a Democrat can win Ohio and lose Trumbull County, so why am I even arguing.

Hamilton isn't like a suburban county like Gwinnett GA or Lake IL that legitiamately flipped to a democratic lean. But if a Democrat is making a competitive race in Indiana it is likely they are appealing to moderate Republicans who live in Hamilton County first before elsewhere in the state. Besides some Republicans in Marion or near Chicagoland.

If a Democrat is winning Indiana they are almost certainly winning Hamilton or at least in a razor thin race there.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »

Hamilton County will not vote for a Democrat—any Democrat—in 2020, regardless of the margin statewide. Even a hypothetical win for Hale in IN-5 will involve running up the margin in Marion County and losing Hamilton by less than ten percent. Contrary to the impressionist landscape Jimmie is painting, Hamilton is not just wealthy suburbs and trying to pass it off as akin to, say, NoVA is questionable at best. Also, Republicans in Hamilton County aren't necessarily "moderate" in comparison to the rest of the state —for every Republican like Brainard, there is a Mike Delph ready to carry the banner of the pro-Trump religious right in the county. I expect it to continue to slide leftward over the next decade or so, and it's plausible to argue the next Democratic statewide victory will see Hamilton County turn blue, but that's in expectation that Democrats won't be competitive statewide again for ten to twenty years or more. In the extremely unlikely event Hill falls in 2020, it won't be because his Democratic challenger carried Hamilton County —but we'll never see proof of that, because Hill is going to be reelected unless the State Republican convention topples him.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »

If Mayor Pete is the nominee, I could see Hamilton being UBER close.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2019, 08:14:05 PM »

If Mayor Pete is the nominee, I could see Hamilton being UBER close.
If Buttigieg somehow ends up leading the Dem ticket nationally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him match or even slightly improve on Donnelly's numbers in Hamilton County. Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll know for sure this round. Sad
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »

Looks like Holcomb is facing a primary challenge.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/carmel-republican-plans-to-run-against-holcomb

A Hamilton County Republican is planning to run for governor against incumbent Eric Holcomb.

Brian Roth, a Carmel resident and president of a consulting and leadership development firm called Employment 2 Deployment LLC, has filed paperwork to create a committee to run for governor.

According to Roth’s LinkedIn profile, he graduated from Taylor University in 1988 with a degree in physics and served in the U.S. Navy for 24 years.

Roth declined to comment, saying he would discuss his reasons for running after posting a video formally announcing the campaign in the next week or so.

Roth is the only Republican who has taken official steps to challenge Holcomb, who is favored to win re-election. Democrat Woody Myers and Libertarian Bill Levin also are running for governor.

I don't see this going anywhere, but then again, Garland Tucker is giving Thom Tillis a run for his money over in NC.  Stranger things have happened.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »

Howey today:

3. McDermott v. Visclosky

Everyone knows Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott is antsy for the next political chapter. U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky is taking notice, with his campaign making a big document request from city hall. Visclosky told the NWI Times'  Dan Carden: "I appreciate the mayor's prompt and thorough attention to this normal request, which was sent via certified mail on Oct. 11, 2019, and also hand-delivered by my campaign director this morning." McDermott: "I've made it a priority of mine to have a good relationship with all of the elected officials, and the only one that I really haven't gotten a chance to know in the 15 years I've been mayor is Pete Visclosky. For some reason he wants nothing to do with me or my city." Earlier this month, McDermott called for a censure of President Trump, while Visclosky is backing the impeachment inquiry. "If I don't think the congressman is doing something that's in the best interests of the Region, I'm going to say it, out loud. And if that means I get (open records) requests filed against me by my congressman, then so be it. But it is definitely intimidation."

5. Hill was drinkin'

Attorney General Curtis Hill is now acknowledging in court filings that he had three glasses of wine, a martini and a shot of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky at the 2017 sine die party that has imperiled his political career. State Rep. Mara Candaleria Reardon and three legislative aides say the AG was acting like a horndog in a fit of groping. All of this is part of the Supreme Court's disciplinary process that could determine Hill's law license status and his ability to stay in office. Stay tuned, this one is coming to a head.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2019, 10:14:40 AM »

If the Indiana GOP was smart, they'd refuse to re-nominate Hill.  But...the Indiana GOP is so drunk on power right now, holding all row offices, the Governorship, both Senate seats, and 7/9 Congressional seats, that they think he'll be invincible. 

Let's see who the Indiana Dems can put forward.  Realistically speaking the AG's office is their only real shot at any sort of statewide victory for quite a while.

Oh...and MCDERMOTT running for Congress?!  LOL.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »

Think it's pretty clear that Holcomb, Hupfer, and Bosma would rather Hill be gone.

Hill has tied himself pretty tight to that Terre Haute attorney Bopp that's a party power player.

I was a delegate at the 2018 State Convention. If I am in 2020, I'm not voting for Hill. Really it's smart for the party to dump him. Holcomb is significantly stronger going into 2020 than Pence was going into 2016. If you remove the Curtis Hill talking point from the Democrats, what else are they going to run on that is Indiana-centric?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »

Other items:

The 5th district that Brooks is retiring from, Mike Braun's brother Steve who completely bottled getting Todd Rokita's old seat, announced and not long later withdrew from the race. This is shaping up to be former Lt. Gov. nominee for the Democrats Christina Hale taking on State Treasurer Kelly Mitchell.

Meanwhile: the Chicago area 1st district looks like it might have a Democratic primary fight.

In the first CD, Visclosky posted $149,248 for the quarter, spent $128,018 and had $514,851 cash on hand. Mayor McDermott has not opened up a federal committee. But the Times of Northwest Indiana’s Dan Carden reported that the Visclosky campaign has made a public records request covering much of McDermott’s 15 years in office.

According to the Times, an additional request for McDermott campaign finance records separately was submitted to the Lake County Board of Elections and Voter Registration, according to Michelle Fajman, director of the voter registration office. McDermott told the Times that the requests were delivered to Hammond City Hall by Visclosky Campaign Director Cindy Wagner, also known as Cindy Lopez, in a white envelope prominently featuring the Visclosky campaign logo. The person officially requesting the documents is Hayley Rumback, of South Portland, Maine, whose political consulting firm was paid $5,750 by Visclosky’s campaign on March 31 for a “research project,” according to federal campaign finance records. In response to inquiries by The Times, Visclosky said: “I appreciate the mayor’s prompt and thorough attention to this normal request, which was sent via certified mail on Oct. 11, 2019, and also hand-delivered by my campaign director this morning.”

McDermott, who had told HPI he was pondering a challenge to Visclosky, then hosted a conspicuous hospitality party at the IDEA Convention in French Lick last August, told the Times, “I wonder if Congressman Pete treats all of his mayors that way, or if I’m just special? I have a great relationship with almost every elected official in Northwest Indiana, Republican and Democrat. I’ve made it a priority of mine to have a good relationship with all of the elected officials, and the only one that I really haven’t gotten a chance to know in the 15 years I’ve been mayor is Pete Visclosky. For some reason he wants nothing to do with me or my city.”

That is a fascinating assertion: The mayor of the biggest city in the CD and a former Lake County Democratic chairman has never had a working relationship with the congressman. Last month, Visclosky announced he was backing the House impeachment inquiry, while McDermott came out favoring a censure of President Trump. “If I don’t think the congressman is doing something that’s in the best interests of the Region, I’m going to say it, out loud,” McDermott told the Times. “And if that means I get (open records) requests filed against me by my congressman, then so be it. But it is definitely intimidation.” Visclosky won the 1st CD in 1984, defeating U.S. Rep. Katie Hall and Jack Crawford in the Democratic primary. Visclosky fended off two more primary challenges from Hall in 1986 and 1990. He has never drawn less than 71% in any subsequent Democratic primary.

Democrats for governor may ironically end up a 3-way after not having a contested primary for either governor or Senator since 2008.

Mayor elections coming up in 2 weeks. Honestly not kept up in attention. In Indianapolis, Howey says Hogsett has a big money advantage over Merritt. I can tell you in Fort Wayne that I feel it's a tossup between Smith and Henry.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »

Thoughts on South Bend?  I honestly feel the state of Buttigieg's candidacy pre-Iowa hinges on which guy ultimately wins.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »

Howey's Mayoral Preview in today's Howey Politics. Looks like most attention is in Fort Wayne. Smith's backers have spent a lot of money. I've been getting mailers for the past month. A book has even been published that you can buy by a funder that is clearly trying to influence the election, "Rust to Gold", that talks about the resurgence of the City of Fort Wayne but has been sharply critical of Mayor Henry's Administration in the revitalization of the former General Electric factory just south of downtown (largest project in the city at present, it's one of those "take a ton of land that represents industrial decay and turn it into new residential/business/education/etc.", pretty much everyone is in favor - most D's and most R's - but the Henry administration have not been based on their actions although publicly they deny this).

As far as me, I supported the guy Smith defeated in the primary. I'd much rather the guy he defeated was on the ballot. I voted for Henry in 2015 because I thought the guy was doing a good job. I guess I'll vote for Smith. Any result here seriously wouldn't surprise me. Municipal elections are about making sure you have more people show up.

Downballot, the current City Council makeup is 7-2 Republican. One of the Democratic district councilmen briefly retired for medical reasons, then announced he was running for 1 of the 3 at-large seats, which are all presently Republican-held. The county Democratic Party chair is running for a Republican-held seat that's currently held by a guy most everyone acknowledges is an idiot. (Young and an apprentice of a current state legislator.) I think a 6-3 Republican City Council is my best bet.

http://www.howeypolitics.com/

By BRIAN A. HOWEY

FORT WAYNE  – Intense mayoral races could switch out city halls in Fort Wayne, Kokomo, Elkhart and Terre Haute, where an independent candidate appears to have a shot at an upset.

Both state political parties are spending big in the Fort Wayne race between three-term incumbent Democrat Tom Henry and Republican challenger Tim Smith. Indiana Democrats have spent $63,000, while Indiana Republicans have pumped in $65,000 for Smith this month, bringing the GOP’s total to $102,000 for the cycle.

According to local sources and campaign finance reports, Republicans appear to be in a position to pick up Kokomo, where Howard County Commissioner Tyler Moore is facing Democrat  Abbie Smith after three-term Democrat Mayor Greg Goodnight decided not to run. Republicans also believe they have a chance at picking up New Albany, where long-time businessman Mark Seabrook is challenging Mayor Jeff Gahan, as well as the open seat in Muncie, where Councilman Dan Ridenour is facing Democrat Terry Whitt Bailey after Democrat Mayor Dennis Tyler opted to retire.

Democrats appear to have a shot at Elkhart where Councilman Rod Roberson is facing former Mayor Dave Miller, who fainted during two recent debates.

In Terre Haute, independent Pat Goodwin is giving two-term Republican Mayor Duke Bennett a real challenge in a three-way race.

A number of other incumbents appear to be in good shape for reelection, including first-term Mayor Joe Hogsett in Indianapolis, Evansville’s Lloyd Winnecke, Bloomington’s John Hamilton, Lafayette’s Tony Roswarski, Richmond’s Dave Snow, and East Chicago’s Anthony Copeland. We also see new Mayor John Cannon in Portage as a probable winner after he took over that office with the conviction of the former GOP mayor.

Also a mayor change will occur in Gary, where the current mayor lost in the Democratic primary. And South Bend as well, where Pete Buttigieg is running for president.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2019, 08:25:54 AM »

Thoughts on South Bend?  I honestly feel the state of Buttigieg's candidacy pre-Iowa hinges on which guy ultimately wins.

I don't know anything about the mayor's race there.

Kind of like Pence after he was tabbed to be the VP nominee by Trump, Buttigieg is Mayor of South Bend in Name Only at this point.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »

Kind of like Pence after he was tabbed to be the VP nominee by Trump, Buttigieg is Mayor of South Bend in Name Only at this point.

South Bend is a democratic stronghold and it would be a very big upset if the mayor office were to flip. Right ?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »

South Bend is a democratic stronghold and it would be a very big upset if the mayor office were to flip. Right ?
Municipal elections here tend to be VERY low-turnout.  It's all about which people decide to get off their butts and show up.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »

Howey's Mayoral Preview in today's Howey Politics. Looks like most attention is in Fort Wayne. Smith's backers have spent a lot of money. I've been getting mailers for the past month. A book has even been published that you can buy by a funder that is clearly trying to influence the election, "Rust to Gold", that talks about the resurgence of the City of Fort Wayne but has been sharply critical of Mayor Henry's Administration in the revitalization of the former General Electric factory just south of downtown (largest project in the city at present, it's one of those "take a ton of land that represents industrial decay and turn it into new residential/business/education/etc.", pretty much everyone is in favor - most D's and most R's - but the Henry administration have not been based on their actions although publicly they deny this).

As far as me, I supported the guy Smith defeated in the primary. I'd much rather the guy he defeated was on the ballot. I voted for Henry in 2015 because I thought the guy was doing a good job. I guess I'll vote for Smith. Any result here seriously wouldn't surprise me. Municipal elections are about making sure you have more people show up.

Downballot, the current City Council makeup is 7-2 Republican. One of the Democratic district councilmen briefly retired for medical reasons, then announced he was running for 1 of the 3 at-large seats, which are all presently Republican-held. The county Democratic Party chair is running for a Republican-held seat that's currently held by a guy most everyone acknowledges is an idiot. (Young and an apprentice of a current state legislator.) I think a 6-3 Republican City Council is my best bet.

http://www.howeypolitics.com/

By BRIAN A. HOWEY

FORT WAYNE  – Intense mayoral races could switch out city halls in Fort Wayne, Kokomo, Elkhart and Terre Haute, where an independent candidate appears to have a shot at an upset.

Both state political parties are spending big in the Fort Wayne race between three-term incumbent Democrat Tom Henry and Republican challenger Tim Smith. Indiana Democrats have spent $63,000, while Indiana Republicans have pumped in $65,000 for Smith this month, bringing the GOP’s total to $102,000 for the cycle.

According to local sources and campaign finance reports, Republicans appear to be in a position to pick up Kokomo, where Howard County Commissioner Tyler Moore is facing Democrat  Abbie Smith after three-term Democrat Mayor Greg Goodnight decided not to run. Republicans also believe they have a chance at picking up New Albany, where long-time businessman Mark Seabrook is challenging Mayor Jeff Gahan, as well as the open seat in Muncie, where Councilman Dan Ridenour is facing Democrat Terry Whitt Bailey after Democrat Mayor Dennis Tyler opted to retire.

Democrats appear to have a shot at Elkhart where Councilman Rod Roberson is facing former Mayor Dave Miller, who fainted during two recent debates.

In Terre Haute, independent Pat Goodwin is giving two-term Republican Mayor Duke Bennett a real challenge in a three-way race.

A number of other incumbents appear to be in good shape for reelection, including first-term Mayor Joe Hogsett in Indianapolis, Evansville’s Lloyd Winnecke, Bloomington’s John Hamilton, Lafayette’s Tony Roswarski, Richmond’s Dave Snow, and East Chicago’s Anthony Copeland. We also see new Mayor John Cannon in Portage as a probable winner after he took over that office with the conviction of the former GOP mayor.

Also a mayor change will occur in Gary, where the current mayor lost in the Democratic primary. And South Bend as well, where Pete Buttigieg is running for president.

If you had to bet, who do you think will prevail in Fort Wayne ?
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »

Municipal elections here tend to be VERY low-turnout.  It's all about which people decide to get off their butts and show up.

Well, since 2017 democrats have usually the edge when turnout is very low, that’s why democrats should be clearly favoured to hold South Bend.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

Well, since 2017 democrats have usually the edge when turnout is very low, that’s why democrats should be clearly favoured to hold South Bend.

The Democrat should win in South Bend. The only reason I can say they wouldn't is Buttigieg's picked successor won a very splintered primary, and the African-American residents in-town are not fans at all of Mr. Buttigieg. If what are your most loyalist Democrats choose to not show up to vote, I could theoretically see a Republican victory.

I have no idea who wins in Fort Wayne. It's going to be close.

I guess the Indianapolis mayor's race never became a contest in spite of Hogsett's problems.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »

In more "Politicians from the Region/outer Chicago/northwest Indiana are Crooked" news:

Michigan City Mayor Meer indicted

"It is a very dangerous time in La Porte County when the prosecutor, John Lake, can have your family members targeted for political retaliation and gain." - Michigan City Mayor Ron Meer, who was indicted Friday by LaPorte County Prosecutor John Lake with one felony count of official misconduct; five felony counts of intimidation; and two misdemeanor counts of false informing resulting in substantial hindrance to law enforcement.

According to the Michigan City News-Dispatch, the charges come in the wake of the mayor's stepson, Adam Ross Bray, being arrested by the LaPorte County Drug Task Force on Oct. 10. He was charged with felony counts of possession of heroin, possession of cocaine and possession of a firearm by a violent felon; and a misdemeanor count of resisting law enforcement. Less than two weeks after Bray was arrested by the LaPorte County Drug Task Force, all three members of the MCPD's administration resigned, alleging the mayor had ordered the department to withdraw from the Drug Task Force. Meer, who is seeking a third term, faces Republican Duane Perry in Tuesday's general election.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »

3. Mayor's indictment roils Michigan City

On Oct. 9, Democratic Michigan City Mayor Ron Meer appeared to be on his way to a third term against Republican Duane Parry. Then on Oct. 10 his step-son was busted on cocaine and heroin possession charges. On Oct. 13, the mayor issued a statement: "It is a very dangerous time in LaPorte County when the prosecutor, John Lake, can have your family members targeted for political retaliation and gain." Meer then tried to pull Michigan City PD out of the LaPorte drug task force, his chief and upper management quit, and on Friday, Lake filed six felony counts of official misconduct and intimidation and two misdemeanor counts of false reporting. Meer won a narrow primary victory in May. Now this race looks poised to flip to the GOP.

4. Holcomb barnstorms

Gov. Eric Holcomb barnstormed for GOP mayoral candidates, hoping to pull in Dave Miller in Elkhart, Tim Smith in Fort Wayne, Mark Seabrook in New Albany,Mike Moore in Jeffersonville, Duke Bennett in Terre Haute, and Dan Ridenour in Muncie. All these races are either HPI "tossups" or leaning Republican. Missing from the list were Anderson and Indianapolis, which tells us that mayors Thomas Broderick and Joe Hogsett are likely to win second terms.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2019, 10:16:27 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2019, 10:21:41 PM by libertpaulian »

Okay, time for some Hoosier Election Night results.  I know we're all excited about the Bevin vs. Beshear race, the Hood vs. Reeves race, the Virginia state legislative races, and the like, but let's not forget our municipal races!  These are VERY important!  Not to mention a good first step in building a state's political party.  Let's start!

Based on these results, it looks like Democrats will pick up two seats on the Munster Town Council!  This is my hometown and current town.  Munster has usually been Safe R, so this is YUGE NEWS!!!

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/democrats-take-munster-town-council-seats-in-historic-election-night/article_f84a99b1-e7ba-57ba-8218-af6c57978487.html

MUNSTER — Democratic candidates claimed victory on election night, flipping the script for the predominately Republican-controlled council.

Democrats Kenneth Schoon and Steve Tulowitzki are the apparent winners of two of Munster's council seats.

"This is very significant," Tulowitzki said. "For the past 16 years there has been single-party control over the Town Council and clerk-treasurer's office. This is a historic event and I think it will serve the people of Munster to have more equal representation on their council."

It also looks like James Mueller will win the South Bend mayoral election, which is a YUGE vindication of Buttigieg's legacy:

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/james-mueller-elected-south-bend-s-next-mayor-succeeding-friend/article_ba543c5e-a99f-5024-9fd1-a4ce51f83fac.html

James Mueller, who returned home from Washington in 2015 to serve as chief of staff for his high school classmate, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, will now take over from his friend as the city’s next chief executive.

Mueller, 37, defeated Republican Sean Haas, a government teacher at LaVille High School, in Tuesday’s election. Mueller held a commanding lead, with nearly 65% of the votes, with most of the ballots counted.

Mueller will take office as South Bend’s new mayor in January.

“The progress over the last eight years in our city is undeniable,” he told supporters celebrating at Corby’s Irish Pub Tuesday night. “Yet we still have a lot more work to do to take our growth to the next level and make sure everyone can share in our progress.”

Tom Henry (D), incumbent Mayor of Fort Wayne, reelected:

https://wpta21.com/news/top-stories/2019/11/05/projected-winner-tom-henry-secures-fort-wayne-mayors-race/

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) – Democrat Tom Henry has secured another four years in office.

ABC21 made the formal projection with 68% of precincts reporting and Henry’s vote total nearly 25 points ahead of Republican challenger Tim Smith.

Joe Hogsett (D), incumbent Mayor of Indianapolis, wins a second term:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/05/indiana-elections-2019-indianapolis-mayor-race-joe-hogsett-jim-merritt/2487259001/

Voters overwhelmingly handed a second term to Democratic Mayor Joe Hogsett on Tuesday, but even in victory Hogsett acknowledged more work needs to be done in a city that suffers from gun violence and crumbling streets.

Despite those challenges, Hogsett cruised to victory in great part because his opponent's campaign never seemed to connect with voters — or provide enough distinct and compelling solutions on how he would fix the city's problems.

The win came quickly.

Just a couple hours after polls closed, as thousands of votes were still being counted around 8:30 p.m., Republican State Sen. Jim Merritt called Hogsett to concede the race.

"I am humbled, I am honored and I could not possibly be more excited to serve as the mayor of Indianapolis for another four years," Hogsett, 63, shouted to supporters at the Athenaeum on Tuesday night.

The crowd responded with cheers and a roaring chant: "Four more years!"

Also, in Hamilton County, it looks like its slow but sure D trend continues.  Democrats pick up a city council seat in Carmel (!), and two city council seats in Fishers (!!!!!):

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2019/11/05/indiana-elections-2019-hamilton-county-results/2501314001/

Three Democrats claimed upset victories in three of Hamilton County's city council races on Tuesday night.

Democrats Miles Nelson won the newly created west district in Carmel, while Jocelyn Vare and Samantha Delong both won city council seats in Fishers.

"This is a major step for the Democratic party in Hamilton County,” said Joe Weingarten, chairman of the Hamilton County Democratic party. “It is slowly turning blue and all I can say is wait until next year.”

There were 13 contested races in Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville and Westfield, the most since at least the early 2000s.

Welp.  This is certainly a major turn of events for Democrats in Indiana, especially one year after Donnelly's loss.  
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:46 PM »

A very exciting night for Hamilton County Dems! To celebrate, I've made a map of preliminary results of the Carmel municipal elections, by city council district. The two GOP>90% districts in the lower right hand corner were uncontested.

It's not the prettiest creation on these boards, but nonetheless:   

Miles Nelson, who will represent the new West District (extreme left), is the first Carmel Democrat to ever be elected to municipal office. Four years ago, the general election was cancelled because the GOP candidates were all unopposed.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2019, 12:06:58 AM »

A very exciting night for Hamilton County Dems! To celebrate, I've made a map of preliminary results of the Carmel municipal elections, by city council district. The two GOP>90% districts in the lower right hand corner were uncontested.

It's not the prettiest creation on these boards, but nonetheless:   

Miles Nelson, who will represent the new West District (extreme left), is the first Carmel Democrat to ever be elected to municipal office. Four years ago, the general election was cancelled because the GOP candidates were all unopposed.
Amazing.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2019, 07:16:10 AM »

Howey this morning:

INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Democrats held on to the two largest city halls in Indianapolis and Fort Wayne where Mayor Tom Henry won an unprecedented fourth term with a landslide victory over Tim Smith, and picked up Elkhart with Rod Roberson’s defeat of former mayor Dave Miller. Joe Hogsett won a second term in the capital city, easily dispatching State Sen. Jim Merritt.

Democrats also made suburban gains with Emily Styron upsetting Zionsville Mayor Tim Haak, as well as picking up council seats in the Republican strongholds Carmel and Fishers. Democrats also took control of the Columbus City Council in Vice President Mike Pence's hometown.

But Republicans prevailed in the old auto belt, flipping mayoral races in Muncie, Kokomo and Logansport. Republican Tyler Moore defeated Democrat Abbie Smith in the open Kokomo seat, Chris Martin upset first-term Logansport Mayor Dave Kitchell, and Muncie Councilman Dan Ridenour defeated Democrat Terry Whitt Bailey. The Indiana Republican Party achieved a new record in this year’s municipal elections, ending the 2019 cycle with 70 Republican mayors throughout Indiana. This involved flipping 19 mayoral offices, including those in traditional Democrat strongholds Kokomo, Muncie, Logansport and Michigan City. Republicans now hold 23 more mayoral offices than Democrats, another record.

“It was a historic night for Republicans throughout Indiana as voters in city after city elected Republicans mayors,” said Indiana GOP Chairman Kyle Hupfer. “Never in the history of Indiana have Republicans held this many mayoral offices or had this wide a margin over Democrats.” Not content to compete in just one region, the Indiana Republican Party invested time, talent and significant resources in races throughout the state. This coordination and teamwork led to an unprecedented flip of 19 mayoral offices in cities across the state. The trend carried throughout the state. Terre Haute, Lawrence, Jeffersonville, Logansport, Winchester, Bluffton, Hartford City and Greensburg all elected Republican mayors, just to name a few.

For pure drama, Republican Duane Parry upset indicted Michigan City Mayor Ron Meer by 76 votes. Meer was indicted late last week after the drug arrest of his step-son roiled the Michigan City Police Department.

In Terre Haute, Republican Mayor Duke Bennett fended off a spirited challenge from independent Pat Goodwin, winning by less than 250 votes and voters in Vigo County easily passed a referendum allowing a Gary casino to move there. In Richmond, Mayor Dave Snow cruised to a second term, while Anderson Mayor Thomas Broderick also won a second term.

In southern Indiana, New Albany Mayor Jeff Gahan defeated Republican Mark Seabrook and independent Dan Coffey with 55% of the vote. In Jeffersonville, Republican Mayor Mike Moore easily dispatched former mayor Tom Galligan with 70%. Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winnecke coasted to a third term, while Bloomington Democrat John Hamilton won a second term.

Was following Fort Wayne results all night. Henry started off with a 4400 vote from early voters alone. All Democrats were up after early voting, but from Election Day voters Republicans in all but 2 races got more votes, with the exception of a super safe Democrat City Council seat, and the Mayor's Race. Of the citywide races, Smith had the least votes of all Republicans. Democrats looked to have heavily focused their time and attention to early voting and making sure the City Council At-Large races went their way, as they took 2 of those. So City Council goes from 7-2 Republican to 5-4 Republican, with 3 of those 4 being African-American.

Not sure if Henry will survive the term, either his choice or not. Around 2016 general election time, he had to have triple heart bypass or something like that, and a couple years ago the rumors were his wife didn't want him to run because she thought the job would kill him.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2019, 11:23:19 AM »

Pete Visclosky to RETIRE:

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/visclosky-won-t-seek-reelection-in/article_fb96476d-783a-57d1-9e82-eb714dd50f38.html

U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky, D-Gary, will not seek reelection next year, ending his more than three decade tenure representing Northwest Indiana in the U.S. House.

Visclosky did not give a specific reason for his decision in his surprise announcement that came on the 35th anniversary of his initial election to Congress on Nov. 6, 1984.

He instead recalled the work he's done in the federal government to support the domestic steel industry and organized labor, secure investments in transformational projects such as the South Shore Line, and improve quality of place "to benefit the only place I have ever called home."

For the Region Rats on here, this is big news.  Visclosky has been in Congress since before I was born!  He's a Northwest Indiana icon.

I'll bet you my entire bank account that McDermott jumps in the race now.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »

Also worth noting that Democrats flipped 5 Indianapolis council seats and now hold a commanding 19-6 majority.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies