KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:40:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 46
Author Topic: KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins  (Read 80860 times)
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: July 08, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »

People are going to continue to underestimate Bollier at their own peril...

There's this thing called partisanship. In 2018 Bredesen outraised Blackburn in Tennessee by like 3 million dollars and lost by 10 points despite multiple polls showing a close raise or Bredesen ahead. I see a similar scenario happening here where the Democrat raises lots of money but still loses by double digits because this is still a red state and senate races are very partisan now. I could be wrong but in 2018 well funded dem incumbents in red states lost big so I doubt it.

Are you seriously comparing a state where Democrats just won a high profile statewide race by 5% as recently as 2018 to a state where the closest a Democrat has gotten to winning since Bredesen’s last victory in 2006 was Obama’s 42% in 2008?
Yeah but muh Kansas hasn’t elected a D senator since the 1930s

I’m not going to waste my time arguing with this guy. When I lurked herein 2018, he kept on trying to assert Catharine Baker and a bunch of Republican Congressional seats were likely Republican holds because of the primary turnout. We all know how that turned out

Also, no one is even really considering this seriously on the board unless Kobach wins the primary so I don’t see why there’s a debate over it
Trumps internals are showing his numbers going down here, so it’s not so far fetched that KS could still be competitive with Marshall
What internals? Recent polling shows Trump with a 12 point lead in Kansas: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/kansas/

If someone cites a poll where they don't publish the numbers it's probably not real.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #776 on: July 08, 2020, 02:53:30 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 02:56:34 PM by Roll Roons »

There's this thing called partisanship. In 2018 Bredesen outraised Blackburn in Tennessee by like 3 million dollars and lost by 10 points despite multiple polls showing a close raise or Bredesen ahead. I see a similar scenario happening here where the Democrat raises lots of money but still loses by double digits because this is still a red state and senate races are very partisan now. I could be wrong but in 2018 well funded dem incumbents in red states lost big so I doubt it.

Are you seriously comparing a state where Democrats just won a high profile statewide race by 5% as recently as 2018 to a state where the closest a Democrat has gotten to winning since Bredesen’s last victory in 2006 was Obama’s 42% in 2008?

I’m not going to waste my time arguing with this guy. When I lurked herein 2018, he kept on trying to assert Catharine Baker and a bunch of California Republican Congressional seats were likely Republican holds because of the primary turnout. We all know how that turned out

Also, no one is even really considering this seriously on the board unless Kobach wins the primary so I don’t see why there’s a debate over it

Those literally should have been Republican holds if not for Tom Steyer and his bulls**t. This is off-topic but that is one of the reasons I cannot stand him. He took away good, moderate voices just so he could have a platform to make a vanity presidential run and jerk himself off.

Along with Trump and his incompetence on the pandemic, pretty much everything to do with Tom Steyer and California in 2018 are the things in politics that really makes my blood boil.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #777 on: July 08, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »

I’m not going to waste my time arguing with this guy. When I lurked herein 2018, he kept on trying to assert Catharine Baker and a bunch of California Republican Congressional seats were likely Republican holds because of the primary turnout. We all know how that turned out

Those literally should have been Republican holds if not for Tom Steyer and his bulls**t. This is off-topic but that is one of the reasons I cannot stand him. He took away good, moderate voices just so he could have a platform to make a vanity presidential run and jerk himself off.

Along with Trump and his incompetence on the pandemic, pretty much everything to do with Tom Steyer and California in 2018 are the things in politics that really makes my blood boil.

That’s just politics. You can’t complain about campaign advertising
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #778 on: July 08, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »

> Kansas elected a Democratic governor in 2018
> It has a pretty high concentration of college+ folks
> Bollier is raising ridiculous amounts of $$
> The GOP primary is extremely ugly right now
> Trump's own internals are showing him doing horrifically in the state

All of the evidence that we have points to the fact that this could be a real race. Anyone who denies it just not seeing what's in front of their face. I don't care that Kansas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in 70 or whatever years. 2020 is a different ballgame, and people should realize that by now.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #779 on: July 08, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »

All of the evidence that we have points to the fact that this could be a real race. Anyone who denies it just not seeing what's in front of their face. I don't care that Kansas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in 70 or whatever years. 2020 is a different ballgame, and people should realize that by now.

Most of your points are fair, but I'm not a fan of the argument that Bollier could win because Kelly did. No one is saying Maryland, Massachusetts or Vermont could go to Trump.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #780 on: July 08, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »

What is everyone's current prediction as to who wins the GOP primary at this point?

I'm still thinking that Kobach narrowly pulls it off, but admit that may be colored by wishful thinking.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #781 on: July 08, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »

What is everyone's current prediction as to who wins the GOP primary at this point?

I'm still thinking that Kobach narrowly pulls it off, but admit that may be colored by wishful thinking.

I’m conflicted.

On one hand, crazies have been winning GOP primaries. On the other hand, Kobach is a loser and the GOP base doesn’t like losers (see Roy Moore and Sharon Angle post 2017 and 2010),
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #782 on: July 08, 2020, 05:47:28 PM »

Marshall. As I've said time and again, the GOP isn't stupid enough to nominate Kobach again.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #783 on: July 08, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »

Marshall. As I've said time and again, the GOP isn't stupid enough to nominate Kobach again.

Never underestimate the stupidity of Republican voters. I don’t think Kobach will win the primary without the help of a Dem group coming to his aid last minute, but here’s to hoping.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #784 on: July 09, 2020, 05:33:51 AM »

I think there's equal chance Kobach and Marshall win. If Kobach wins, it'll be because the vote is too split up between the other candidates, b/c isn't there like 10 on the ballot or something?
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #785 on: July 09, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »

I would guess the race is tight between Kobach and Marshall, as it was between Kobach and Colyer. The lack of recent internal polling from either campaign or any of their allies points to this as well.

Gun to my head, I'd stick with Kobach, who should never be underestimated among Kansas Republicans. There seems to be genuinely minimal enthusiasm for Marshall, among both the party brass and voters.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #786 on: July 09, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »

Most of your points are fair, but I'm not a fan of the argument that Bollier could win because Kelly did. No one is saying Maryland, Massachusetts or Vermont could go to Trump.

Nobody is saying MD,MA, and VT will go Trump because he's down like 25+ points there. Again, KS is different he's not doing well there
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #787 on: July 09, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »

this could only be a real race if Kobach wins the nomination, in which case it is quite competitive.  Otherwise, nah.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #788 on: July 12, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »

I think Marshall will win. The race is pretty close right now, and in the final month, Marshall should dominate the airwaves. Kobach is a known loser and I don't see him winning over much else at this point, Marshall has much more room to grow. Turnout will be the challenge, as I don't think Marshall's supporters are as motivated to GOTV.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #789 on: July 15, 2020, 08:31:26 AM »

Who didn't see that coming?

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #790 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »

Trying to pull a McCaskill. I like it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #791 on: July 15, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »

We havent seen a poll from this race
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #792 on: July 15, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »

Lean R with Kobach
Safe R with Marhall
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #793 on: July 16, 2020, 10:44:06 PM »

Apparently it's for $850,000. Marshall is also taking heavy fire from Bob Hamilton. I dare not get my hopes up, but at least Democrats are being strategic about this.

@RollRoons: it looks like most Democrats would rather have a 50-50 shot at the seat than to have a "non-controversial" Republican have a 95% chance of winning.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #794 on: July 16, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 10:59:44 PM by Roll Roons »

@RollRoons: it looks like most Democrats would rather have a 50-50 shot at the seat than to have a "non-controversial" Republican have a 95% chance of winning.

I maintain that it's very a risky bet, but I never said it couldn't ultimately pay off. I agree that the race would be a Tossup with Kobach, but a tossup means that he would also have a decent chance of winning, especially given that it's a federal race in a red state. But we'll see what happens.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #795 on: July 16, 2020, 11:10:47 PM »

I maintain that it's very a risky bet, but I never said it couldn't ultimately pay off. I agree that the race would be a Tossup with Kobach, but a tossup means that he would also have a decent chance of winning, especially given that it's a federal race in a red state. But we'll see what happens.

I don't think Democrats see it as "risky" though, is what my point is. To many Democrats, Marshall and Kobach are the same, one is just more overt, and incompetent, about his intentions.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #796 on: July 16, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »

Election Twitter has successfully fundraised more than 7.000$ in the past week to poll KS.

SurveyUSA will conduct the Senate R primary, Senate GE and Presidential polls.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #797 on: July 17, 2020, 01:26:06 AM »

What's the risk for Democrats? It's not like Marshall is some kind of Jacob Javits-like liberal Republican who will occasionally side with them and help them enact their agenda. He will be as much of a loyal foot soldier of Cocaine Mitch as Kobach.
And Kobach has the added bonus that if he is elected he will probably be an embarrassment and a thorn to the side of Republican leadership.   
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #798 on: July 17, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »

Really stunning how awful Republican fundraising has been in this race so far.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #799 on: July 17, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »

Yeah, but they havent released any polls on KS primary or GE or SC or MA primary Senate. We can only guess on how well the candidates are doing based on Cov8d 19
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies