Sherrod Brown mulling presidential run in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:26:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Sherrod Brown mulling presidential run in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sherrod Brown mulling presidential run in 2020  (Read 1282 times)
Barack Oganja

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/416221-sherrod-brown-mulling-presidential-run-in-2020

Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »

Tactically, it's a bad idea, but I'd be behind him 100% if he decided to go for it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »

#populism by winning important counties like Hamilton more than Mahoning
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:05:01 PM »

He'd make a great nominee and a great president, but I know that he sadly wouldn't have a shot.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »

He'd make a great nominee and a great president, but I know that he sadly wouldn't have a shot.

In the primary, or the general? I think he would be the favorite in the latter and have a half-decent shot in the former. I think he would be a strong contender to take Iowa, but the big roadblock is that there aren't a whole lot of potentially friendly states after that until Super Tuesday 2.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »

The Senate seat likely being lost for good if he wins makes this a bad idea for Dems if they can find anyone else with as good a chance of winning.  Netting 3 Senate seats is doable in 2020, netting 4 is almost impossible unless the presidential race is already a landslide.  Klobuchar probably has more going for her anyway for winning back the Midwest.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »

The Senate seat likely being lost for good if he wins makes this a bad idea for Dems if they can find anyone else with as good a chance of winning.  Netting 3 Senate seats is doable in 2020, netting 4 is almost impossible unless the presidential race is already a landslide.  Klobuchar probably has more going for her anyway for winning back the Midwest.

Minus the Klobuchar part, these are my same thoughts.
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:21:07 PM »

Minus the Klobuchar part, these are my same thoughts.
Joey1996

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »

Don't know if he could win a Democratic primary with the whole DV allegations that get hammered ever time he's up for reelection.
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »

Minus the Klobuchar part
Replacing Klobuchar with Baldwin, these are my same thoughts.
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 10:47:14 PM »

Don't know if he could win a Democratic primary with the whole DV allegations that get hammered ever time he's up for reelection.

What are these allegations?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:26 PM »

What are these allegations?

A divorce between him and his ex-wife from the 1980s resulted in court records showing allegations of domestic abuse. It should be noted that she did recant, is still close to Sherrod, and has even cut ads for Sherrod denouncing opponents using it to attack him.

It's pretty well known in Ohio that the allegations really aren't much, but it is definitely an issue for any national ambitions when they will be used to attack him in front of Democratic primary voters who'll probably know nothing about him.
Chinggis
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 11:02:40 PM »

Sherrod is my second choice after Beto. He'd be a great candidate and a great President.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »

Nah, we need his Senate seat.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »

Would love to see him run and he would be a decent nominee.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 11:46:34 PM »

Would love to see him run and he would be a decent nominee.

If he runs I will consider switching my registration to Democratic to vote for him in the primary.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 12:32:06 AM »

UncleSam

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 02:24:41 AM »

He or Klobuchar would be the toughest for Trump to race in the general. They would be worlds tougher than Harris or Warren.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 04:33:38 AM »

Well, Bernie being elected President only gives up a Senate seat for 90 days.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »

Although I love Bernie, I don’t want him to run for President. Instead, I’d love to see him either gain a powerful position in the Senate or, more preferably, be appointed to a major position under the next Democratic Administration. So, with that said, I’ll say who I would like to see run in 2020.

1. Sherrod Brown. He is, arguably, one of the best Democrats we have for locking down the “Blue Wall” and making inroads into certain red states. He couldn’t be portrayed by the rightwing as your typical liberal; he could easily stand toe-to-toe with Trump and hold his own in rural America, postindustrial America, and the ghettos of America. His coalition would be a truly working class coalition.

2. Amy Klobuchar. She’s probably the most anti-Trump in temperament; a perfect embodiment of “Minnesota nice,” yet is still a prosecutor who’d have no qualms taking on Trump. She’d easily sweep the Midwest, hold the traditional “blue states,” and likely bring over even more White College educated voters.

3. Steve Bullock. A dark horse who may never make it far, but if he did then Trump would be in trouble. He has proven that he can win Trump voters without sacrificing core liberal principles in the process. His campaign would likely be centered on opposition to corruption, big money, and Trump’s unpresidential temperament. His life embodies what Trump voters claim is a “true American;” so let them cast their vote for a thrice divorced NYC billionaire with a foreign wife and no demonstration of Christianity over a wholesome family man from the countryside who takes his son hunting. Go for it.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »

The Democratic Party needs a good candidate and an excellent President more than it needs a single senate seat. I understand that there are "tactical" issues regarding Brown running for the Presidency, but those don't matter nearly as much.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »

The Democratic Party needs a good candidate and an excellent President more than it needs a single senate seat. I understand that there are "tactical" issues regarding Brown running for the Presidency, but those don't matter nearly as much.

Agreed, at the end of the day. I am not against him running, and if he wins we will all be better off for it. That said, he should under no circumstances take the VP slot.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »

Agreed, at the end of the day. I am not against him running, and if he wins we will all be better off for it. That said, he should under no circumstances take the VP slot.
Wholeheartedly agree with this. Although the vice president's seat has grown in prominence over the years, I would argue that at the point the senatorial circumstances don't make it worth it for him, the party, or the country.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »

Endorsed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies