Forum Poll :Evolution Re:Majority of Americans reject theory of evolution (doh!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:31:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Forum Poll :Evolution Re:Majority of Americans reject theory of evolution (doh!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which statement fits your position on evolution (going to church means at least once a week)
I go to church and God created humans.

I go to church and Humans evolved but God guided the process.

I go to church and Humans evolved and God wasn't involved.

I dont go to church and God created humans.

I dont go to church and Humans evolved but God guided the process.

I dont go to church and Humans evolved and God wasn't involved.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Forum Poll :Evolution Re:Majority of Americans reject theory of evolution (doh!)  (Read 5754 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2005, 09:24:33 AM »

Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved.

These views are similar to what they were in November 2004 shortly after the presidential election.

This question on the origin of human beings, asked both this month and in November 2004, offered the public three alternatives: 1. Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and God did not directly guide this process; 2. Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, but God guided this process; or 3. God created human beings in their present form.

The results were not much different between the answers to that question and those given when a specific timeline was included in the final alternative: God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

Americans most likely to believe in only evolution are liberals (36 percent), those who rarely or never attend religious services (25 percent), and those with a college degree or higher (24 percent).

White evangelicals (77 percent), weekly churchgoers (74 percent) and conservatives (64 percent), are mostly likely to say God created humans in their present form.

Still, most Americans think it is possible to believe in both God and evolution. Sixty-seven percent say this is possible, while 29 percent disagree. Most demographic groups say it is possible to believe in both God and evolution, but just over half of white evangelical Christians say it is not possible.

Opinions on this question are tied to one’s views on the origin of human beings. Those who believe in evolution, whether guided by God or not, overwhelmingly think it is possible to believe in both God and evolution – 90 percent say this. However, people who believe God created humans in their present form are more divided: 48 percent think it possible to believe in both God and evolution, but the same number disagrees.

This poll was conducted among a nationwide random sample of 808 adults, interviewed by telephone October 3-5, 2005. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus four percentage points.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:34:19 AM »

I'll have to go with Option 2.  There is no doubt that we have evolved (just compare our heights today with those of people living 200 years ago).  However, our basic physical appearance (standing upright, 10 fingers and toes, etc) has not changed since first appearing on the planet.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:40:06 AM »

I'll have to go with Option 2.  There is no doubt that we have evolved (just compare our heights today with those of people living 200 years ago).  However, our basic physical appearance (standing upright, 10 fingers and toes, etc) has not changed since first appearing on the planet.

I have to agree with that, but I went with option 4 instead of option 5.

So, yeah, I don't believe we came from apes.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:57:47 AM »

I was torn between Option 1 and 2. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:06:22 AM »

Option 6. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 10:13:32 AM »

option 5
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 10:18:22 AM »

Option 2
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 10:34:22 AM »

Re:Majority of Americans reject theory of evolution (doh!)

And was this somehow a surprise? 
MissCatholic

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 10:35:52 AM »

off course. not believing in evolution is a process that involves brainwashing you with religious garbage from you are born.

you arent born believing in god. you arent born racist. but they are both nurtured from an early age.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 10:43:18 AM »

off course. not believing in evolution is a process that involves brainwashing you with religious garbage from you are born.

you arent born believing in god. you arent born racist. but they are both nurtured from an early age.

So is that how you became a crazy Democrat?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »

....religious garbage......  Roll Eyes

Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean the majority of the people in the US are brainwashed.  Last time I checked, over 75% of the US population identifies with one of the three major religions. 

Also, I wasn't born knowing how to do long hand division.  Does that mean I was brain washed into believing that math actually exists?  Roll Eyes 
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 10:54:48 AM »

Of course, believing in evolution is a process that involves brainwashing you with Darwin garbage from when you are born Roll Eyes

Listen, I respect both beliefs, but I believe in an all powerful God.  Why would he create amoebas first?  So he could wait billions of years before he got to us?

P.S. Great point about math, MODU!
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 11:09:28 AM »

Same with me and option 4 and 5.

Everett:  LOL!  Gotta love the Shocked smiley Shocked
I was torn between Option 1 and 2. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 11:18:07 AM »

Evolution without intelligent design. Why? Because some would say the designer was God, others would say aliens from Mars. Both are outlandish.
MissCatholic

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 11:21:45 AM »

So is that how you became a crazy Democrat?

no i became a democrat as i was sick and tired of religion being used in politics.

Over 80% of people in Australia, UK, Sweden,Denmark etc are religious but they dont go to church as they have better things to do than listen to a person intrepret a book that was written by a group of sexist pigs.

Before we had schools, the only way to get educated was to commit yourself to christ hence you became a monk. Now we live in the 21st century but backward states like Alabama, Texas etc have taken religion to far. Hank Irwin believes that katrina was gods doing (doh!) he is an elected offical!

We have a guy running for governor in Alabama who believes the 10 commandments should be publicly displayed. These commandments are completely irrevelant 2000 years on.

We can sit and discuss the merits of having religion in ones life but the use of it in society is what divides this country.

We are at war both home and abroad. Religion will lose and its not people like me who are to be blamed for its downfall but the people that take religion to far.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

None of those
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 11:32:31 AM »

Evolution without intelligent design. Why? Because some would say the designer was God, others would say aliens from Mars. Both are outlandish.

That's why I like sci-fi.  We don't know what happened years ago back when we first appeared on the earth.  Did a mystical figure snap his fingers, and "poof," here we are?  Or was it like in Stargate, where we actually came from another galaxy?  Or did a meteor hit our planet and caused an ooze of chemicals to mix and magically create life?  No one knows.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 11:43:54 AM »

That's why I like sci-fi.  We don't know what happened years ago back when we first appeared on the earth.  Did a mystical figure snap his fingers, and "poof," here we are?  Or was it like in Stargate, where we actually came from another galaxy?  Or did a meteor hit our planet and caused an ooze of chemicals to mix and magically create life?  No one knows.

I again agree with you, MODU.  Do you really watch Stargate? Cheesy  I love that show!
MissCatholic

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 11:45:52 AM »

I again agree with you, MODU.  Do you really watch Stargate? Cheesy  I love that show!

stargate? oh please..dont give more credit to stargate than evolution. the poor finches.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »

^^^^^^^
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »

Option 5
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »

Yup.  When it first came out, I didn't see it.  I loved the movie, and though that the tv show would ruin it.  However, I got back in during season 4 (I did get caught up on the first three seasons eventually), and have been watching it ever since.

stargate? oh please..dont give more credit to stargate than evolution. the poor finches.

Bye Nomo.  Go take your medication.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »

Yup.  When it first came out, I didn't see it.  I loved the movie, and though that the tv show would ruin it.  However, I got back in during season 4 (I did get caught up on the first three seasons eventually), and have been watching it ever since.

I didn’t start watching until this season, but I’ve been catching up with the DVDs.

Everyone kept telling me the movie was bad, but I got it and thought it was really good Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 01:18:23 PM »

We didn't 'come from' apes, we are a type of ape.  You are living in an ape-society, CheezeWhiz. 

I think people are always amazed that a complex, fairly well-functioning modern society can be operated with a huge majority of its population being complete idiots.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 03:28:20 PM »

Option 6.

I think America has quite a few closet atheists.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies