Another Silver Lining-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Another Silver Lining-
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Another Silver Lining-  (Read 1486 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »

According to NYT, Ds are only supposed to win about 7% of PV but are getting a majority of 23.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »

Interesting indeed, especially since Democrats contested more seats than Republicans.

-

All things considered, I'm not surprised we are looking for silver linings, but we really shouldn't be. The Senate map was objectively terrible, we seem on track for a comfortable House majority, and we won about as many Govs offices as Democrats/Republicans did in 2006/2010, if not maybe more.

This is a good election for Democrats. I think we just set our expectations too high and inevitably got stung when those didn't pan out. I guess it's also fair to say we were hoping for a strong rebuke to Trump and an expanded Senate majority doesn't do that, but it's not the end of the world.

(sorry for off-topic rant)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »

Interesting indeed, especially since Democrats contested more seats than Republicans.

-

All things considered, I'm not surprised we are looking for silver linings, but we really shouldn't be. The Senate map was objectively terrible, we seem on track for a comfortable House majority, and we won about as many Govs offices as Democrats/Republicans did in 2006/2010, if not maybe more.

This is a good election for Democrats. I think we just set our expectations too high and inevitably got stung when those didn't pan out. I guess it's also fair to say we were hoping for a strong rebuke to Trump and an expanded Senate majority doesn't do that, but it's not the end of the world.

Nah, this rant is rather needed. The Ds underpreformed, only getting about 7 in the PV, and yet we have taken a larger amount of seats in the house, and a good amount of important governorships, with 2 being rather painful(FL, OH). The senate is where the Ds preformed poorly, but even then, the losses were kept to 3-4(depending on FL) and we may take 2 seats ourselves, which is only an R gain of 2 seats, highly vulnerable in 2020.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »

Democrats must defeat Donald Trump in 2020, keep the House, and gain as many Senate seats as possible to refute the ideology of Donald Trump and ensure that America be the sort of country in which a high IQ means misery.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »

279-259 will ensure the Dems hold the House, CO, NC, AZ, IA and ME are the 5 Senate Seats that Dems must win.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

I will not be consoled. The senate result was TERRIBLE. Yes, many of those seats were on borrowed time and we would eventually lose them, but losing them now is really bad. Bar from a superb 2020 relection, the Senate will remain out of reach for a long time coming.

Also, Florida is just depressing. This is THE crucial swing state and the fact that dems could win neither the senate seat or the governorship in a D+7 climate is just awful and does not bode well for 2020.

Finally, Donald Trump and the right wing media will now spend the next two years blaming everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on house democrats. I guess the "good" news is that they can now stop pretending that Hillary Clinton is president and focus all of their wrath and conspiracy theories on Nancy Pelosi (probably George Soros as well).
Cashew
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »

Democrats must defeat Donald Trump in 2020, keep the House, and gain as many Senate seats as possible to refute the ideology of Donald Trump and ensure that America be the sort of country in which a high IQ means misery.

Support Democrats to make high IQ people miserable?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »

-

This, this, this. I know I set my expectations too high, and so did most of us, I think.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »

Being an eternal pessimist means I was pleasantly surprised by last nights results.  Smile
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 04:29:23 PM »

Things turned out almost exactly as I expected, though I thought the GOP would only end up with 51 or 52 seats in the Senate.

Meanwhile, in 2020 things don't look so bad for the Dems:

Vulnerable seat: AL

Winnable seats: CO, IA, OH, NC, GA, ME, AK
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »

Finally, Donald Trump and the right wing media will now spend the next two years blaming everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on house democrats. I guess the "good" news is that they can now stop pretending that Hillary Clinton is president and focus all of their wrath and conspiracy theories on Nancy Pelosi (probably George Soros as well).

They were never going to take responsibility for anything negative, ever.  "The Democrats" would be blamed under any circumstances. But we're now not in quite as powerless a position as we were for the last two years.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »

Bullock needs to run for MT Senate. And Mark Kelly should run in AZ,. We need the best possible candidates. No more Menendez's and machine politics. Find the best candidates who can get people out to vote possible in AK, ME, NC, GA, CO, IA, KS too.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »

Bullock needs to run for MT Senate. And Mark Kelly should run in AZ,. We need the best possible candidates. No more Menendez's and machine politics. Find the best candidates who can get people out to vote possible in AK, ME, NC, GA, CO, IA, KS too.

Freedom map.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 06:17:32 PM »

According to NYT, Ds are only supposed to win about 7% of PV but are getting a majority of 23.

I read somewhere that this may be because they are not counting any votes in the races that are uncontested as Dem votes.

I haven't verified that this is the case, but that is something that should be checked after all the dust settles.

While it is true that counting the votes in those races would overstate the "true" Dem popular vote in the sense of reflecting the will of the voters, not counting them also understates the "true" Dem popular vote.

For a proper estimate of the "true" popular vote, you would have to plug in a rough estimate of what Republicans would have gotten in all the races that were unopposed, if they had candidates there (and likewise for Dems in the 3 or so seats without a Dem candidate).
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »

We have less deep red senate seats to worry about trying to keep from now on and can focus our attention and resources on other states.

Still, as others have said last night didn't go nearly as bad as it looked like it was going to at one point and fell within the expected range of outcomes. I think we just set our expectation too high. It definitely would have been nice to have had our popular vote win be at least a bit higher, there were a ton of vulnerable seats where Republicans just squeaked by, not to mention the difference it would have made in Florida.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »

Things turned out almost exactly as I expected, though I thought the GOP would only end up with 51 or 52 seats in the Senate.

Meanwhile, in 2020 things don't look so bad for the Dems:

Vulnerable seat: AL

Winnable seats: CO, IA, MT, NC, GA, ME, AZ-Spec.

ftfy
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »

Wait ... are some Dems actually sulking as though they did not have a really good night last night?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »

Being an eternal pessimist means I was pleasantly surprised by last nights results.  Smile

Then I am clearly more pessimistic than I give myself credit for. I am filled with despair. I kept my expectations relatively low and reasonable and I ended up somehow being disappointed. That's really bad for my mental health at this juncture.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

Wait ... are some Dems actually sulking as though they did not have a really good night last night?

Red avatars on Atlas bed-wetting? Never.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »

High IQ people are disproportionally male (low IQ people also are disproportionally male) and everyone knows the Democrats hate males. Democrats cater to their average IQ female base, their policies mean low IQ people lose out because of globalization and open borders while high IQ people lose out because of Wall Street regulations and a school system that rewards mediocrity. Meanwhile Trump is a Wharton graduate, he loves high IQ people. The Republican high IQ vote in 2020 might be even more relevant than the Kanye effect (blacks for Trump) or the #WalkAway movement.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »

High IQ people are disproportionally male (low IQ people also are disproportionally male) and everyone knows the Democrats hate males. Democrats cater to their average IQ female base, their policies mean low IQ people lose out because of globalization and open borders while high IQ people lose out because of Wall Street regulations and a school system that rewards mediocrity. Meanwhile Trump is a Wharton graduate, he loves high IQ people. The Republican high IQ vote in 2020 might be even more relevant than the Kanye effect (blacks for Trump) or the #WalkAway movement.

What the fu** did I just read?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »

What the fu** did I just read?

He must be at least be a couple of standard deviations below the average in that blue bell to make these kind of inferences and draw analyses from them seriously.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »

I’m a male with an enormous IQ...I mean...there’s no problem there, believe me...but I would never support Trump.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Back on topic: I think we could have won 218 or 219 seats with a 4 point victory.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies