🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:14:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 216867 times)
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« on: June 22, 2022, 12:18:44 AM »

Two INSA and Forsa polls released this week show the CDU (28%/28%) leading the SPD (19.5%/19%) by almost ten percentage points...

First the two major defeats in SH and NRW, now these terrible numbers - the situation doesn't get better for Scholz. Klingbeil talking about a "social democratic decade" appears more and more like a bad joke.
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 09:29:52 AM »

10 months after surpassing the Greens and the Union in the polls, SPD is back in third place:

Wouldn't this though be enough for a red-green coalition as I have 46% for them while CDU/FDP/AfD only 43% (yes I know no one will work with AfD), but unless win over 3 constituent seats, one needs 5% to get any top up seats.

Sure, it would be enough. But it's an old poll and the SPD is now well below 20% (Forschungsgruppe Wahlen: 18%, Forsa: 18%, Infratest Dimap: 17%).

At the moment, Red-Green polls between 35% (YouGov) and 40% (Forschungsgruppe Wahlen) – and this is probably rather generous given that the traffic light coalition is an absolute disaster.
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 09:53:54 PM »

The black-green "pizza connection" of the nineties was initiated by people like Laschet, Röttgen, Altmeier, van Klaeden and the likes. People that where young at the time and at the left or center of the CDU -and some outspoken "Realo" Greens of course, like Matthias Berninger, Cem Özdemir, Volker Beck etc.

Friedrich Merz wasn't part of it and was staunchly anti-Green at the time.

Indeed – "at the time." 2023 Merz has little to do with 1999 Merz, so I am a bit puzzled by this take:

Wouldn't it be very difficult for either the SPD or the Greens to form a government with the CDU when the CDU is let by a rightwing fanatic like Merz who is on the "wrong" side of virtually every single social or cultural issue and I believe is a bit of a climate change denier? Could there be a hypothetical situation  where the only way the CDU could form a government with either the SPD or the Greens would be if they ditched Merz and proposed another chancellor who was more palatable?

Merz is many things, but certainly neither a "rightwing fanatic" nor a "climate change denier". In fact, he has largely followed Merkel's moderate approach so far, even introducing a gender quota for CDU leadership positions and – at least prior to the 2021 election – praising the Greens at any opportunity ("They are a very disciplined and intelligently led party from which the CDU can learn a lot.")

I really don't think that there would be any serious problems with him serving as Chancellor in a CDU-SPD or CDU-Greens government. Obviously, some left-wingers and the youth organizations of either party would complain – but they complain all the time and nobody really cares. Cf. Berlin.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies