🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 115
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 216537 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2575 on: November 24, 2021, 09:15:42 AM »

Finally, as a member of the Green party, I'm personally offended by the libelous claim that my party is "more and more sympathetic to far-left terror groups" and if Hades wants to have any dealings with me in the future I'm expecting a apology from him on the matter.

Please tell me first about your opinion of Sarah Lee Heinrich, the Führer*in of the Baerbockjugend. Do you deify her - just like the vast majority of your party comrades does - or do you deem her to be a socially dangerous fascist - just like the majority of society does?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2576 on: November 24, 2021, 09:38:41 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2021, 05:07:44 PM by President Johnson »

Press conference ongoing. Title of the coalition agreement is "Mehr Fortschritt wagen - Bündnis für Freiheit, Gerechtigkeit und Nachhaltigkeit", which essentially means "dare to make more progress - alliance for liberty, justice and sustainability". It's 177 pages long.

Some highlights:

- Germany will exit coal energy by 2030, eight years ahead of schedule.
- Massive investments in renewable energies
- Minimum wage increase to 12,- € per hour, as promised by the SPD
- At least 400,000 new housing units per year to relieve the overheated real estate market, the rent cap will stay in place.
- Debt brake will stay in place
- Part of social security funds will be invested at the capital market for higher return of capital (key promise by the FDP). No social security cuts.
- Bonus payment for all medical workers during the pandemic; the new federal government will provide one billion euros.
- Canabis will be decriminalized and regulated sale.
- Committment to the European Union and a strong Transatlantic alliance.

Furthermore, Robert Habeck (Greens) will become vice chancellor.

Olaf Scholz said that coalition talks were constructive and personal chemistry among key actors was good. Lindner subsequently praised him as competent and strong leader.

Here's the agreement:

DL
Canada

« Reply #2577 on: November 24, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »

So major update: According to ZEIT, cabinet positions will be allocated as follows:

SPD:
- Chancellorship and Chief of Chancellery
- Interior
- Defense
- Construction & Housing
- Labor & Social Affairs
- Health
- Economic Development

Greens:
- Economy & Climate
- Foreign
- Family Affairs
- Agriculture
- Environment & Consumer Protection

FDP:
- Finance
- Justice
- Traffic
- Education & Science

Germany has a Minister of Traffic?? Or is that the person that works the traffic lights for the coalition? (lol)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #2578 on: November 24, 2021, 10:32:52 AM »

So major update: According to ZEIT, cabinet positions will be allocated as follows:

SPD:
- Interior
- Defense
- Construction & Housing
- Labor & Social Affairs
- Health
- Economic Development

Greens:
- Economy & Climate
- Foreign
- Family Affairs
- Agriculture

FDP:
- Finance
- Justice
- Traffic
- Education & Science

Germany has a Minister of Traffic?? Or is that the person that works the traffic lights for the coalition? (lol)
Building of federal road, Autobahnen, railroad tracks, public transport, all kind of regulatory stuff concerning vehicles, airflight and so on ... the number one word for Germans to translate "Verkehr" into English would be "traffic". This isn't right, though?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2579 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:33 AM »

SPD:
- Interior
- Defense
- Construction & Housing
- Labor & Social Affairs
- Health
- Economic Development

Greens:
- Economy & Climate
- Foreign
- Family Affairs
- Agriculture

FDP:
- Finance
- Justice
- Traffic
- Education & Science

Building of federal road, Autobahnen, railroad tracks, public transport, all kind of regulatory stuff concerning vehicles, airflight and so on ... the number one word for Germans to translate "Verkehr" into English would be "traffic". This isn't right, though?

Transport? Transportation?
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2580 on: November 24, 2021, 10:51:00 AM »

SPD:
- Interior
- Defense
- Construction & Housing
- Labor & Social Affairs
- Health
- Economic Development

Greens:
- Economy & Climate
- Foreign
- Family Affairs
- Agriculture

FDP:
- Finance
- Justice
- Traffic
- Education & Science

It's called "transport" or "transportation" in English. The counterparts in other countries are the Secretary of Transportation in the United States (currently Pete Buttigieg), the Minister of Transport in Canada (currently Omar Alghabra), and the Secretary of State for Transport in the United Kingdom (currently Grant Shapps).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2581 on: November 24, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »

Seems like the FDP's personell for the cabinet has been leaked. Hardly a surprise among them:

- Finance: Christian Lindner, FDP leader
- Justice: Marco Buschmann, member of the Bundestag and Lindner protegee
- Transportation/Traffic: Volker Wissing, FDP general secretary and former RLP economy minister under Malu Dreyer (2016-21)
- Education & Science: Bettine Stark-Watzinger, Parliamentary whip

I'm surprised they didn't get Defense since Marie-Agnes Strack-Zimmermann would have been a strong choice. I wonder who the SPD will nominate since Lars Klingbeil, who has great expertise here, is likely staying out of the cabinet as co-leader designate.

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2582 on: November 24, 2021, 03:38:37 PM »

I read through the entire agreement and honestly this is pretty okay. I got spooked by the rumors of Greens and FDP wanting to privatize Deutsche Bahn, but thankfully that turned out to be horsesh*t.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2583 on: November 24, 2021, 03:43:45 PM »

I read through the entire agreement and honestly this is pretty okay. I got spooked by the rumors of Greens and FDP wanting to privatize Deutsche Bahn, but thankfully that turned out to be horsesh*t.

If just two thirds or three quarters of that agreement actually get done, the Scholz cabinet will go down in history as one of biggest reform governments Germany had.

Especially the massive investments in renewable energies and transformation are a milestone and probably the biggest climate action package of any Industrial nation in the world. If successful administered, this could become a role model for the world.

Not to mention the reforms planned on cultural issues.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2584 on: November 24, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »

Lula wishes sucess for Olaf Scholz

"1 - Desejo sucesso ao companheiro @OlafScholz, que acaba de concluir um exitoso acordo para suceder o governo da Alemanha.
2 - Estou seguro que essa nova coalizão plural e democrática aprofundará os progressos do bem estar do povo alemão, e permitirá contribuição cada vez maior da Alemanha para uma governança mundial mais justa."
https://twitter.com/LulaOficial/status/1463613222595047427

Keep Calm and ...
OldEurope
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2585 on: November 24, 2021, 04:54:45 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2586 on: November 24, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2021, 05:31:19 PM by President Johnson »

Wikipedia infobox updated Smiley

Edit: There's also a Wikipedia page in German and English now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholz_cabinet

Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2587 on: November 24, 2021, 06:08:36 PM »

Press conference ongoing. Title of the coalition agreement is "Mehr Fortschritt wagen - Bündnis für Freiheit, Gerechtigkeit und Nachhaltigkeit", which essentially means "dare to make more progress - alliance for liberty, justice and sustainability". It's 177 pages long.

Some highlights:

- Massive investments in renewable energies
- Minimum wage increase to 12,- € per hour, as promised by the SPD
- At least 400,000 new housing units per year to relieve the overheated real estate market, the rent cap will stay in place.
- Debt brake will stay in place
- Part of social security funds will be invested at the capital market for higher return of capital (key promise by the FDP). No social security cuts.
- Bonus payment for all medical workers during the pandemic; the new federal government will provide one billion euros.
- Canabis will be decriminalized and regulated sale.
- Committment to the European Union and a strong Transatlantic alliance.

Furthermore, Robert Habeck (Greens) will become vice chancellor.

Olaf Scholz said that coalition talks were constructive and personal chemistry among key actors was good. Lindner subsequently praised him as competent and strong leader.

Here's the agreement:

Some other points in the coalition agreement that I'd like to highlight:
  • People on unemployment benefits who have a part-time job will be allowed to keep more of their earnings.
  • Introducing a points-based immigration system (like in Canada).
  • Long-term goal of raising the share of electricity from renewable sources to 80% until the year 2030
  • More financial resources will be allocated to schools in poorer areas of the country. The FDP has already started such a pilot project at state level in North Rhine-Westphalia.
  • Financial aid for lifelong learning so that it's easier to change careers even when you're middle-aged, which is important because the modern working world is changing fast.
  • Parental income will affect student grants less in means tests (important for young people who are estranged from their parents and don't receive any financial support from them).
  • Self-employed people who are voluntary members of the statutory health insurance will no longer have to pay a minimum contribution that is higher than the combined employee-and-employer minimum contribution for employees.
  • Doctors will be allowed to use their websites to inform people on abortion procedures. Here's why that's important: In a highly publicized court case, a physician was ordered to pay a fine because she had put that kind of information on her website. CDU/CSU blocked further reform of the relevant law during their coalition with the SPD. Regardless of where you stand on the abortion issue, you must acknowledge it doesn't make sense that doctors are allowed to perform abortions, but they're not allowed to inform the public on the procedure.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2588 on: November 24, 2021, 08:07:29 PM »

Do you mind if I repost your summar of the manifesto on another forum ?
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2589 on: November 25, 2021, 07:59:51 AM »

Do you mind if I repost your summar of the manifesto on another forum ?

No, go ahead. I'm very much in favor of sharing knowledge. Smiley
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2590 on: November 25, 2021, 02:55:14 PM »

The Greens actually intended to formally announce their cabinet picks, which has been delayed until tomorrow. While Habeck and Baerbock are hardly a question anymore, sources say there's a controversy whether Parliamentary co-leader Anton Hofreiter or Bundestag member and former co-leader Cem Özdemir get ministerial roles. The party's left-wing wants Hofreiter, while others push Özdemir as there's no other cabinet member with a migration background likely. Özdemir belongs to the centrist wing of the Greens and won his district Stuttgart I with 40% of the vote, by far the best result of a Green candidate. I would certainly prefer Özedmir. Actually hope Winfried Kretschman steps down before his third term ends and Özdemir succeeds him as Minister-President. So it would be useful for him to get some executive experience under his belt.

The biggest question in Berlin and the media certainly is who will be Health Minister. I'm not sure it will actually be Karl Lauterbach, since he has a bunch of strong opponents within the SPD despite strong support in the general public. A campaign on Twitter and other networks demanding his appointment as Health Minister has been going on for months and intensified the previous weeks. For those who aren't familiar with his name: Lauterbach as a professor, medical doctor and health expert who's been a Bundestag member since 2005. He arose to national prominence during the Covid-19 pandemic in particular, was always a supporter of rigid Covid restrictions and often warned of the virus (he now supports a general vaccine mandate and partial lockdown). He's often been described as maverick and has a kind of an "interesting" personal style (but literally no charisma). Until a few years ago, Lauterbach was mostly known for always wearing bow tie instead of a necktie. Nonetheless, he's very competent on health issues which is why I hope he gets chosen. He definitely wants the job.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #2591 on: November 25, 2021, 03:53:31 PM »

The Green showdown for ministerial positions has come to an end:

- Economy and Climate: Robert Habeck
- Foreign Affairs: Annalena Baerbock
- Agriculture: Cem Özdemir
- Family Affairs: Anne Spiegel
- Environment: Steffi Lemke
- State Secretary for Culture and Media: Claudia Roth

While Habeck, Baerbock, Özdemir and Roth are well known figures, Lemke and Spiegel didn't really have a high profile in the last years. Lemke was General Secretary of the Greens from 2002 until 2013, while Spiegel served as Family Minister of RLP from 2016 until this year, when she became State Minister for Energy and Environment.

Lemke had been discussed as a potential Cabinet member for some time, but Spiegel seems like a surprise. She headed the Greens as lead candidate in this years' state elections and served alongside Volker Wissing in a traffic light coalition - Not the worst choice probably.

As Claudia Roth switches to the Cabinet, she will have to vacate her position as Deputy President of the Bundestag. Haven't heard of anyone who could succeed her - I'd speculate about Katrin Göring-Eckardt, who had been serving in that position from 2005 until 2013 and has chaired the parliamentary group ever since? 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2592 on: November 25, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »

While Habeck, Baerbock, Özdemir and Roth are well known figures, Lemke and Spiegel didn't really have a high profile in the last years. Lemke was General Secretary of the Greens from 2002 until 2013, while Spiegel served as Family Minister of RLP from 2016 until this year, when she became State Minister for Energy and Environment.

Lemke had been discussed as a potential Cabinet member for some time, but Spiegel seems like a surprise. She headed the Greens as lead candidate in this years' state elections and served alongside Volker Wissing in a traffic light coalition - Not the worst choice probably.

As Claudia Roth switches to the Cabinet, she will have to vacate her position as Deputy President of the Bundestag. Haven't heard of anyone who could succeed her - I'd speculate about Katrin Göring-Eckardt, who had been serving in that position from 2005 until 2013 and has chaired the parliamentary group ever since? 

Spiegel and Roth are indeed surprises, though Göring-Eckhard said on Morning Magazine that there will indeed be surprises.

I think I predicted or at least raised the name Anne Spiegel in the cabinet at some point before the election.

Özdemir is definitely a superior choice compared to Hofreiter in my opinion. I'm actually pretty satisfied the names so far. Now if only King Lauterbach gets Health.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2593 on: November 25, 2021, 06:25:48 PM »

Most of the agenda look like leftist.

I am impressed how the FDP did the concessions easily.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #2594 on: November 26, 2021, 04:35:15 AM »

Could you elaborate on your impression?  The impression, that the coaliton agreement has much more of the FDP's handwriting in it, is much more common in Germany (and in my opinion it is warranted),
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2595 on: November 26, 2021, 06:32:14 AM »

Who are likely to get the SPD's cabinet posts?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2596 on: November 26, 2021, 07:16:00 AM »

Isn't  Özdemir an urbanite politican with a mostly city-based district ? Does he have any experience or antyhing with agriculture ? seems like a bizzare spot for a politican of his caliber and experience.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2597 on: November 26, 2021, 07:59:07 AM »

Isn't  Özdemir an urbanite politican with a mostly city-based district ? Does he have any experience or antyhing with agriculture ? seems like a bizzare spot for a politican of his caliber and experience.

Qualification has never been a prerequisite for a cabinet post in German politics. That's why Dr. Lauterbach is likely to never become health minister. (That and because Olaf Scholz and the FDP despise him.)
Özdemir ought to become Foreign Minister, not only because he is fluent in at least two more languages than ACAB. (That and because PUTP disdains him.)
In Schleswig-Holstein, for example, we have a Green kindergarten teacher as Finance Minister.
Another apt example is Sigmar Gabriel and Barbara Hendricks, both of whom were appointed environment minister despite Michael Müller (not to be confused with the current Berlin Mayor), a renowned environmental politician and environmentalist journalist) desperately seeking the nomination.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2598 on: November 30, 2021, 12:40:50 PM »

So Scholz now wants to make vaccination mandatory, just like in Austria. His first broken promise: in September, right before the election, he said he opposed it. Truly wonder whether the FDP will accept this.
urutzizu
« Reply #2599 on: November 30, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »

So Scholz now wants to make vaccination mandatory, just like in Austria. His first broken promise: in September, right before the election, he said he opposed it. Truly wonder whether the FDP will accept this.

It won't matter. Scholz wants to go ahead the way exactly what Marco Buschmann said he supports: Bundestag to decide without fraction discipline or coalition discipline. Which should pass easily with substantial CDU/CSU and even Linke support, and allows the FDP to save face without harming the coalition. Although I personally think it is likely they will water it down a bit to something like all professions with customer contact/medical care/education etc. because mandatory vaccinations for all could be legally difficult to implement.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 115  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies