Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:47:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead?  (Read 3822 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: October 28, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »

As I understand it, his defence is that he is the President of Iraq and under the terms of the Iraqi constitution (as it was when he was in control) he is immune from suit. He claims the court is improperly constituted, and he does not recognise it as having the legal jurisdiction or authority to put him on trial.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 02:04:55 PM »

As I understand it, his defence is that he is the President of Iraq and under the terms of the Iraqi constitution (as it was when he was in control) he is immune from suit. He claims the court is improperly constituted, and he does not recognise it as having the legal jurisdiction or authority to put him on trial.

As JFK spotted a while ago that's amusingly similer to the one used by Charles I after the English Civil War. We all know how that worked out Grin

Indeed. But while it didn't work out for Charles, in the end it didn't work out for those who tried him either. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies