Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Should Saddam be tried at the Hague instead?  (Read 3805 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2005, 10:28:23 PM »

Yes. That's where he belongs, a legitimate court and legitimate world body, not this kangaroo court in a nation under military occupation in the middle of civil war.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 03:10:16 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2005, 04:15:29 AM by Senator Al »

No. It would take forever. You know that in the Milosevic trial the orginal Judge (Richard May) died before the prosecution (or was it the defense? See this has been going on so long that...) even began?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What's illegitimate about the current court?

What's illegitimate about Iraq?

How exactly is it a kangaroo court? Yes, Saddam will be found guilty and executed; but this isn't because the trial is a stitch up. It's because he's as guilty as hell and (seeing as his defense is a new version of the classic "Tyrant's Defense") he knows it.

Irrelevent. The Nuremburg trials happend in a country under military occupation. Were they illegitimate?

You need to understand something here; most Iraqis want to see him swing. Now they probably aren't happy this isn't being done in the traditional Iraqi way (ie; drag him through the streets of Baghdad, cut him into little pieces and hang up what's left from a bridge) but they seem to have accepted this way of doing things. Most Iraqis wouldn't trust an alledgedly impartial international body to try Saddam and probably would see such a trial as illegitimate in some way.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 04:13:42 AM »

The illegitimate court is that one in The Hague.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »

The vast majority of Saddam's crimes were committed against his own people--and thus it is only fitting that the Iraqi people are the one to hang him from the yardarm.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:39:20 AM »

Saddam should be freed with an apology and reinstated with reparations.  Failing that, the Hague is less of a joke than this American stooge 'court'.
MissCatholic

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 11:44:47 AM »

The moment you take the case to the hague, rumsfled would have to testify and disclose info about their meetings. the trial would become a farce.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 08:38:42 PM »

No, he should not. Iraq has not accepted the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court--and rightfully so. I do not see why it should give up its sovereignty to some international body.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 08:43:04 PM »

This is a fairly ridiculous thread. A BRTD classic.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 03:20:18 PM »

No, he should be tried by his own people. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »

No, he should not. Iraq has not accepted the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court--and rightfully so. I do not see why it should give up its sovereignty to some international body.

It can't 'give up' its sovereignty - that was stolen by force by the USA not so long ago.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 04:15:14 PM »

International organizations have absolutely no legitimacy of their own--all their power is conditionally derived from sovereign entities, and can at any time be withdrawn.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 04:49:22 PM »

No, he should be tried by his own people. 
I agree. Theres nothing wrong with where he is now and I hope they give him life. (in jail, that is.)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 06:11:45 PM »

BTW, what is Mr. Hussein's defense?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 06:16:35 PM »

Unfortunately, there is no legal possibility of trying him in the Hague. To begin with, there isn't much horrible he did after July 1, 2002 - and the ICC (I guess, you refer to that) has no jurisdiction over anything that had occured previously. Then, of course, Iraq hasn't signed or ratified the treaty (neither did Iran - in fact, in the entire region there is only one country that did, and it is Jordan), so the only way he'd be subject to the jurisdiction is upon the referral by the security council - but still, I believe, the July 1, 2002 date would be operative.

The only real possibility would be for the Security Council to set up an ad hoc tribunal (like the Yugoslavia tribunal in the Hague, or the Rwanda tribunal in Abuja).  Could be done, in principle, and, in fact, there is nothing in the US position rules out doing something like that for similar cases now or in the future (in fact, such ad hoc tribunals are whoel-heartedly supported by the US, including this administration). Perhaps, China and Russia could have been induced to vote for this, or even to abstain (UK, US and France would have no trouble voting in favor here - though, of course, UK and France would not agree to set up an ad hoc tribunal for post-2002 cases).

However, I guess, it has been decided that giving the guy to Iraqis to roast was better local PR - which is, probably, right.  Without knowing how it plays out in Iraq, there is no way to tell whether this was the right decision, but it does not strike me as a major mistake in any case, though I might be wrong.  An international tribunal could be set up to have more legitimacy among at least some of the Sunnis, perhaps.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 06:53:48 PM »

[hussein] I didnt do it! I swear![/hussein]

lol
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 07:18:08 PM »

[Hussein]Can't we all just get along?[/Hussein]
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 09:57:09 AM »

No. It's only right that the Iraqi people try and convict Saddam Hussein. In fact, to hell with the expense of even holding a trial

I don't normally approve of the death penalty but his fate ought to have mirrowed that of Romania's Nicolae Ceaucescu, who was dealt with swiftly and effectively

Dave
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »

As I understand it, his defence is that he is the President of Iraq and under the terms of the Iraqi constitution (as it was when he was in control) he is immune from suit. He claims the court is improperly constituted, and he does not recognise it as having the legal jurisdiction or authority to put him on trial.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »

I don't normally approve of the death penalty but his fate ought to have mirrowed that of Romania's Nicolae Ceaucescu, who was dealt with swiftly and effectively

He did get a trial though. One quite similar to this one. Hence the point of it being a kangaroo court. Of course both were obviously guilty anyway, but it would've been more appropiate to deal with them in a more legitimate manner.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 12:25:22 PM »

He did get a trial though. One quite similar to this one. Hence the point of it being a kangaroo court. Of course both were obviously guilty anyway, but it would've been more appropiate to deal with them in a more legitimate manner.

What is more legitimate than a trial infront of your peers?  It's being televised around the world, and he is receiving both domestic and foreign council.  Any sign of a kangaroo court will be seen before millions of people, but I doubt that will happen since there is so much evidence against him.  He's getting a fair shake, unlike what he did with so many of his citizens over the years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 01:33:20 PM »

As I understand it, his defence is that he is the President of Iraq and under the terms of the Iraqi constitution (as it was when he was in control) he is immune from suit. He claims the court is improperly constituted, and he does not recognise it as having the legal jurisdiction or authority to put him on trial.

As JFK spotted a while ago that's amusingly similer to the one used by Charles I after the English Civil War. We all know how that worked out Grin
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 02:04:55 PM »

As JFK spotted a while ago that's amusingly similer to the one used by Charles I after the English Civil War. We all know how that worked out Grin

Indeed. But while it didn't work out for Charles, in the end it didn't work out for those who tried him either. Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 08:22:49 AM »

The difference being since Charles I was a God-annointed King, he was right

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 08:30:02 AM »

Indeed. But while it didn't work out for Charles, in the end it didn't work out for those who tried him either. Wink

Yes, Oliver Cromwell was deservedly hung, drawn and quartered. His severed head was put on display for all to behold he who committed the heinous act of regicide

Dave
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 09:54:50 AM »

Cromwell was unusually 'posthumously' executed, he was dug up in 1661 and given the old hung drawn and quartered treatment.

In Scotland he is not fondly remembered. Charles I was our king too, Scotland was still an independent nation and there was no right to have executed him and then invaded Scotland.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies