Parental Consent on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Parental Consent on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Should minors be required to have parental consent before having an abortion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Parental Consent on abortion  (Read 16929 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »

Yes.  But if the minor has been raped or if her life and/or future reproductive health are in jeopardy...exceptions should be allowed.

Well, I'd agree that exceptions for health should be allowed obviously... Which sort of renders the debate moot since minors by definition are at greater risk for serious complications.

health=discomfort=a slight headache, etc.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2009, 11:44:09 PM »

Yes.  But if the minor has been raped or if her life and/or future reproductive health are in jeopardy...exceptions should be allowed.

Well, I'd agree that exceptions for health should be allowed obviously... Which sort of renders the debate moot since minors by definition are at greater risk for serious complications.

I'm sure a doctor would be the one to decide whether the possible health complication was serious enough to warrant an abortion...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »

Yes.  But if the minor has been raped or if her life and/or future reproductive health are in jeopardy...exceptions should be allowed.

I'm sure a doctor would be the one to decide whether the possible health complication was serious enough to warrant an abortion...

There are lots of(almost all I would assume) abortion doctors who think ending life in the womb is perfectly ok for no reason at all, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem giving the go ahead on an abortion for bogus health reasons...
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2009, 11:47:23 PM »

Yeah... Doctors are so professional, right?

I can't go get a medicinal marijuana card for my "back pain" right now, can I?
I can't go get me some Vicodin?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2009, 11:58:12 PM »

Yes.  But if the minor has been raped or if her life and/or future reproductive health are in jeopardy...exceptions should be allowed.

There are lots of(almost all I would assume) abortion doctors who think ending life in the womb is perfectly ok for no reason at all, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem giving the go ahead on an abortion for bogus health reasons...
Personally I have absolutley no problem with ending life in the womb, during the first trimester but that's besides the point. I'd rather have things be very broad when it comes to health complications granting minors the option to abort without parental consent, than having things very restricted when it comes to health complications.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »

Yeah... Doctors are so professional, right?

I can't go get a medicinal marijuana card for my "back pain" right now, can I?
I can't go get me some Vicodin?
The reason why the bottom two things being so easy to obtain is much more complex than doctors being unprofessional.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »

There are lots of(almost all I would assume) abortion doctors abortionists who think ending life in the womb is perfectly ok for no reason at all, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem giving the go ahead on an abortion for bogus health reasons...

Fixed.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »

There are lots of(almost all I would assume) abortion doctors abortionists who think ending life in the womb is perfectly ok for no reason at all, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem giving the go ahead on an abortion for bogus health reasons...

Fixed.

Actually yeah, the word "doctor" probably shouldn't be used in their case except as part of their title for having completed a doctorate.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2009, 12:56:28 AM »

Fixed.

Actually yeah, the word "doctor" probably shouldn't be used in their case except as part of their title for having completed a doctorate.
you should be able to have an abortion if you just don't want the kid. what is this health crap? For whatever reason makes her choose abortion is a legit reason. Health has nothing to do with it.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2009, 01:06:42 AM »

Fixed.

you should be able to have an abortion if you just don't want the kid. what is this health crap? For whatever reason makes her choose abortion is a legit reason. Health has nothing to do with it.

No, you shouldn't.

And if do so, you should be charged with murder just as if you had killed a child outside the womb.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2009, 01:11:57 AM »

Fixed.

No, you shouldn't.

And if do so, you should be charged with murder just as if you had killed a child outside the womb.
yes SHE should have that right. and it is not murder!!!! it isnt even a baby yet. and cells die all the time. when you scratch or shave. It is the same thing. IT IS JUST A CELL!!  why are you trying to infringe upon someone right? you are an idiot.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2009, 01:13:17 AM »

Fixed.

No, you shouldn't.

yes SHE should have that right. and it is not murder!!!! it isnt even a baby yet. and cells die all the time. when you scratch or shave. It is the same thing. IT IS JUST A CELL!!  why are you trying to infringe upon someone right? you are an idiot.

we are all just cells. lets just kill everyone.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2009, 01:18:07 AM »

Fixed.

A perfect example of moral decay and the shirking of responsibility that's unfortunately become commonplace in our society.

Some more morally conscious individuals might say that not having sex is better than taking a life. The health debate comes into play when you're talking about choosing to protect the life or livelihood of the mother over having her carry the child to term. It is, in my mind, the only justifiable excuse for abortion.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2009, 01:18:56 AM »

Fixed.

No, you shouldn't.

As good an argument as you might be in favor of abortion for eugenic purposes to raise the average human IQ, no, sorry, abortion is still murder.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2009, 01:22:39 AM »

Fixed.

No, you shouldn't.

yes SHE should have that right. and it is not murder!!!! it isnt even a baby yet. and cells die all the time. when you scratch or shave. It is the same thing. IT IS JUST A CELL!!  why are you trying to infringe upon someone right? you are an idiot.

Abortion is an infringement of someone's right...their inalienable right to life.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:37 AM »

Fixed.

No, you shouldn't.

yes SHE should have that right. and it is not murder!!!! it isnt even a baby yet. and cells die all the time. when you scratch or shave. It is the same thing. IT IS JUST A CELL!!  why are you trying to infringe upon someone right? you are an idiot.
As good an argument as you might be in favor of abortion for eugenic purposes to raise the average human IQ, no, sorry, abortion is still murder.
funny but not even. What you just said is just saying, "it is this way because i said so". And sorry I am not for eugenic. If anything I would be against it since I like dumbs. Tongue

Fixed.

No, you shouldn't.

Abortion is an infringement of someone's right...their inalienable right to life.
It is a cell!!!! omg what is so confusing about a cell? it is not even a complex enough cell to be considered a human being. It cant breath. do you know the requirement for all living things to be considered living?

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:18 AM »

funny but not even. What you just said is just saying, "it is this way because i said so". And sorry I am not for eugenic. If anything I would be against it since I like dumbs. Tongue
But of course, that's not at all surprising.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Please get sterilized so this never has to become an issue with you. You will be doing humanity a favor.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »

It is a cell!!!! omg what is so confusing about a cell? it is not even a complex enough cell to be considered a human being. It cant breath. do you know the requirement for all living things to be considered living?

As stated earlier we are all just collections of cells. By your logic none of us are entitled to individual rights. The level of simplicity you're talking about is never true of a fertilized embryo, and it could only be described as "simple" in the absolute earliest stages of pregnancy, when most often women don't even realize they are pregnant.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2009, 01:36:20 AM »

As stated earlier we are all just collections of cells. By your logic none of us are entitled to individual rights. The level of simplicity you're talking about is never true of a fertilized embryo, and it could only be described as "simple" in the absolute earliest stages of pregnancy, when most often women don't even realize they are pregnant.
when i mean simple i mean no organs etc. Cant can be described as a living thing but the characteristics of a living thing in science.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2009, 01:44:29 AM »

when i mean simple i mean no organs etc. Cant can be described as a living thing but the characteristics of a living thing in science.

Plenty of living things don't have organs in the sense that fully developed human beings do. From the time fertilization occurs the embryo is in fact a "developing" human being. The fact that it is not yet fully functioning does not diminish its status as a human.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2009, 01:49:32 AM »

Plenty of living things don't have organs in the sense that fully developed human beings do. From the time fertilization occurs the embryo is in fact a "developing" human being. The fact that it is not yet fully functioning does not diminish its status as a human.
but it does, at least in my opinion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:33 AM »

No, I don't see any reason to require parental consent.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:20 AM »

But why? It is an undeveloped human being, I don't understand how that is debatable. I almost have a modicum of respect for those who acknowledge that it's a human being but would ask the question "Why is it wrong to kill a human being and when should we kill a human being?" rather than saying because it doesn't have all the qualities of a fully functioning post-partum human it isn't a human in any respect, because at least they call a spade a spade...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2009, 02:02:08 AM »

But why? It is an undeveloped human being, I don't understand how that is debatable. I almost have a modicum of respect for those who acknowledge that it's a human being but would ask the question "Why is it wrong to kill a human being and when should we kill a human being?" rather than saying because it doesn't have all the qualities of a fully functioning post-partum human it isn't a human in any respect, because at least they call a spade a spade...

Humanity carries with it certain emotional connotations, so abortion rights advocates fear it being used as a wedge for appeal to emotion. I, however, recognize a fetus as human & simultaneously reject the idea that it has a right to be free from aggression.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2009, 02:05:29 AM »

A five-year old is technically an undeveloped human being.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies