Parental Consent on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Parental Consent on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Should minors be required to have parental consent before having an abortion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Parental Consent on abortion  (Read 16950 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 12:30:53 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

It should be "encouraged". I can sympathize with the other side, but we have to be realistic here. Some people are crazy, and some of these crazy people are parents.

You have to have parental consent to watch a PG13 movie, but its fine to get an abortion? Really?
abortions are good. wanna fight me on it, Mr will never have the choice to make because I am not a female?

if we allow abortions, then we cant require males to pay child support under any circumstances
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

It should be "encouraged". I can sympathize with the other side, but we have to be realistic here. Some people are crazy, and some of these crazy people are parents.

You have to have parental consent to watch a PG13 movie, but its fine to get an abortion? Really?
abortions are good. wanna fight me on it, Mr will never have the choice to make because I am not a female?

if we allow abortions, then we cant require males to pay child support under any circumstances
now that is what i call a bad argument. If men don't want to pat then they can uses this thing called condoms!!! Don't require the girl to hold all the responsibility. A pregnancy does not just take a money problems to girls you know. They actually have things to deal with. While you guys just have to pay a little to something he created as well. And I can guarantee that girls don't want to get pregnant. But abortions should be allowed if the condom broke, rape, or if she new it would be deformed, pill didn't work. If you had no contraception and didn't want to pay for child support then don't do any girls.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 12:48:52 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2009, 12:50:40 AM by Alexander Hamilton »

No, nope, and nay.

now that is what i call a bad argument. If men don't want to pat then they can uses this thing called condoms!!! Don't require the girl to hold all the responsibility. A pregnancy does not just take a money problems to girls you know. They actually have things to deal with. While you guys just have to pay a little to something he created as well. And I can guarantee that girls don't want to get pregnant. But abortions should be allowed if the condom broke, rape, or if she new it would be deformed, pill didn't work. If you had no contraception and didn't want to pay for child support then don't do any girls.

no. thats a bad argument. if we are going to leave the child's full future up to the women, then she therefore receives all responsibility for that choice. unless you want to require the father and mother both to agree on the abortion. but unless we do that, it is unfair to men to allow women to either kill their child or steal their money for 18 years. of course i agree that abortions should be allowed for rape, incest, etc. i never said anything about that. but how can we allow minors to have abortions when consent laws dont even allow them to have sex in the first place? thats a bit contradictory.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 12:57:47 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

now that is what i call a bad argument. If men don't want to pay then they can uses this thing called condoms!!! Don't require the girl to hold all the responsibility. A pregnancy does not just take a money problems to girls you know. They actually have things to deal with. While you guys just have to pay a little to something he created as well. And I can guarantee that girls don't want to get pregnant. But abortions should be allowed if the condom broke, rape, or if she new it would be deformed, pill didn't work. If you had no contraception and didn't want to pay for child support then don't do any girls.

no. thats a bad argument. if we are going to leave the child's full future up to the women, then she therefore receives all responsibility for that choice. unless you want to require the father and mother both to agree on the abortion. but unless we do that, it is unfair to men to allow women to either kill their child or steal their money for 18 years.
I was going down to your level. Tongue no one is stealing money. And you don't have the baby, SHE does. And it is not a child in the first trimester. Also men ditch. women would ditch if they could but they cant. What i don't get is that you think you have a say on what happens to someone else's body!! Isn't that were the extreme limits end? But lets be honest, who does it effect the most?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 01:03:30 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

now that is what i call a bad argument. If men don't want to pay then they can uses this thing called condoms!!! Don't require the girl to hold all the responsibility. A pregnancy does not just take a money problems to girls you know. They actually have things to deal with. While you guys just have to pay a little to something he created as well. And I can guarantee that girls don't want to get pregnant. But abortions should be allowed if the condom broke, rape, or if she new it would be deformed, pill didn't work. If you had no contraception and didn't want to pay for child support then don't do any girls.

no. thats a bad argument. if we are going to leave the child's full future up to the women, then she therefore receives all responsibility for that choice. unless you want to require the father and mother both to agree on the abortion. but unless we do that, it is unfair to men to allow women to either kill their child or steal their money for 18 years.
I was going down to your level. Tongue no one is stealing money. And you don't have the baby, SHE does. And it is not a child in the first trimester. Also men ditch. women would ditch if they could but they cant. What i don't get is that you think you have a say on what happens to someone else's body!! Isn't that were the extreme limits end? But lets be honest, who does it effect the most?

Im not talking about banning abortion.

Abortion is legal. That means women have the only say on a child's existence. If men can't have a say, why should they be forced to pay for it? A women should have to accept full responsibility for the child if she wants to have sole determination.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 01:06:45 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

Well R would be the better example but this is really what it boils down to. Regardless of your thoughts on the morality of abortion we're not talking about adults here. To say that the same people who can't get a tattoo or piercing without their parents signing on are suddenly able to terminate their pregnancies without letting anyone know is a pretty glaring contradiction.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

Abortion is legal. That means women have the only say on a child's existence. If men can't have a say, why should they be forced to pay for it? A women should have to accept full responsibility for the child if she wants to have sole determination.
So one lady gets an abortion, and another keeps the child, does the man in the second senerio lose all responsibility?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 01:25:32 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

So one lady gets an abortion, and another keeps the child, does the man in the second senerio lose all responsibility?

Yes he does, because if the women didn't want to take care of the child, she shouldn't have had it knowing that it was ALL UP TO HER.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 02:57:11 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

lolwut?
I remember being 11 and walking scotfree into Blockbuster renting PG-13 movies all the time, never getting ID'd once and also going to the theatre to see PG-13 movies with my friends, without my parents. No consent needed.
If they really do care that much in Bakersfield, then I agree with you that Bakersfield is more wacked out than Tulsa.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

lolwut?
I remember being 11 and walking scotfree into Blockbuster renting PG-13 movies all the time, never getting ID'd once and also going to the theatre to see PG-13 movies with my friends, without my parents. No consent needed.
If they really do care that much in Bakersfield, then I agree with you that Bakersfield is more wacked out than Tulsa.

Not at the movies, but at school. R movies you have to be 17 to buy a ticket though.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2009, 05:47:11 AM »

Let's reverse the question, shall we? Should parents be able to force minors to go through with abortions? I know it's not as common, but sometimes parents actually want their children to focus on education and future carer and have an abotion while their daughter wants to keep it.

This was the case with my step-sister. When she became pregnant at 17 her parents thought that she should abort it, but she decided to keep it? Should they have been allowed to interfer with her decission?

I mean when your teenage daughter has a child, most likely you will be the one housing the baby, feeding the baby, and often taking care of the baby, so if parents have a say in if their daughters' abortion decissions, they should also be able to decide if she must have one.

Now how many of you voted yes think this would be a great idea? Very few I suspect.

I am as most here know pro-life, and in favour of stronger abortion restrictions. But to have parents to the pregnant woman be such an restriction is silly.     
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2009, 06:37:18 AM by Lunar »

This is a tough issue.  The difference between this and most surgery laws that require parental consent is that the issue of abortion is so heavy.  I mean, you need parental consent maybe for a blood transfusion if you're a minor, but that's kinda because no decent parent would not act in the best interests of the [teenage non-fetus] child in this case.  Whether that's the case for abortion is a LOT more debatable, and, of course, possibly irrelevant if you're pro-life, as the alternative is something akin to murder.  

I think I'd vote no if this came up as a specific issue, as I view this as sort of a stepping stone campaign against abortion instead of addressing the larger issue head-on and forcing me to make a decision that way. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2009, 06:38:28 AM »

No, nope, and nay.

lolwut?

Not at the movies, but at school. R movies you have to be 17 to buy a ticket though.

You don't have to be a parent though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:44 AM »

Let's reverse the question, shall we? Should parents be able to force minors to go through with abortions? I know it's not as common, but sometimes parents actually want their children to focus on education and future carer and have an abotion while their daughter wants to keep it.

This was the case with my step-sister. When she became pregnant at 17 her parents thought that she should abort it, but she decided to keep it? Should they have been allowed to interfer with her decission?

I mean when your teenage daughter has a child, most likely you will be the one housing the baby, feeding the baby, and often taking care of the baby, so if parents have a say in if their daughters' abortion decissions, they should also be able to decide if she must have one.

Now how many of you voted yes think this would be a great idea? Very few I suspect.

I am as most here know pro-life, and in favour of stronger abortion restrictions. But to have parents force the pregnant woman into such an restriction is silly.     

Interesting reverse of the situation.  I doubt anyone here thinks the parents should be able to force their daughter into an abortion. 

Does anyone here know where the line is drawn in the U.S. for parents' abilities to force medical procedures on their kids?  Is it just life-saving or is it any procedure with a signature or what? 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2009, 10:58:08 AM »

No
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »

No. More proof this is not a left wing forum.

No, they should not be allowed to force one to have an abortion either.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »

Yes.  But if the minor has been raped or if her life and/or future reproductive health are in jeopardy...exceptions should be allowed.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »

Yes.  But if the minor has been raped or if her life and/or future reproductive health are in jeopardy...exceptions should be allowed.

Some sort of Judicial Bypass, if not already in place, would be necessary where things are even more complicated than you've spelt out here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »

No. Situations can get very complicated otherwise.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2009, 09:12:04 PM »

No, nope, and nay.

In terms of sentiment I generally agree with Vepres. I'm a strong believer that the law should be designed to protect those who are most vulnerable. While the majority of parents may be caring and supportive of their child in making decisions on this matter, it is not these people that one should have in mind when drafting laws on such matters. Instead, it is far more important to consider the ramifications for those whose family would not be quite so supportive.

I don't think it is contradictory - as Mint suggested - to argue parental consent should not be required for abortions while it should be required for tattoos, piercings &c. because the potential consequences of asking a parent for an abortion are drastically different from those which would result from asking a parent for permission to get a tattoo.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »

Yes, absolutely if it prevents more abortions from being performed...
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »

No, nope, and nay.

Strawman

I agreed that I didn't like movies being forced to be directly to DVD and what not, but I don't believe it would be worth the political capital it would require to change, particularly when the trend is to interfere less and less.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:21 PM »

N/A

Murder charges should be filed regardless of whether the young murderess had parental consent.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2009, 11:16:47 PM »

No, nope, and nay.

I see your posts are chock-full-of-stupid as usual.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:16 PM »

Well, I'd agree that exceptions for health should be allowed obviously... Which sort of renders the debate moot since minors by definition are at greater risk for serious complications.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies