Poland runoff: last polls and results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:01:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Poland runoff: last polls and results
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poland runoff: last polls and results  (Read 2506 times)
Umengus
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2005, 04:25:26 AM »
« edited: October 31, 2005, 05:38:32 AM by Umengus »

Presidential election (sunday)

Lech Kaczynski ("conservative" on economy and moral values) vs Donald Tusk ("liberal" on economy and moral values)

3 polls (sorry I have no details)

1) PBS

Tusk: 52%
Kaczynski: 48%

2) OBOP

Tusk: 52%
Kaczynski: 48%

3) PGB

Tusk: 49,8%
Kaczynski: 50,2%

Clearly, Kazcynski has the dynamic with him (he was at 43% last week). I think that lepper voters will vote for him. A turnout like 09 oct will be in favor of Kaczynski.

First run (09 oct):

Turnout: 50%

Tusk: 35,82%
Kaczynski: 33,29%
Lepper: 15,56%
Borowski: 10,19%

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:51:53 AM »

Kaczynski seems to have narrowed the gap a lot...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:44:24 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2005, 01:47:22 PM by Umengus »

Exit poll (OBOP):

-Tusk: 47%
-Kaczynski: 53%

no surprise... Poland polls are not very good and has still  underestimed Kaczynski.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 03:12:41 PM »

Interesting, very very interesting. Any regional stuff?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 03:47:48 PM »

Both candidates sound pretty awful. And the only party close to my views at all in the first round are some ultra-corrupt ex-commies who still supported the Iraq invasion anyway.

Poland: hot girls, terrible politics
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 03:28:12 AM »

Results

91% of votes

Kaczynski: 54,5%
Tusk: 45,5%
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 03:29:28 AM »

Kaczynski's won by that much... interesting. Any regional stuff?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 04:00:22 AM »

Both candidates sound pretty awful. And the only party close to my views at all in the first round are some ultra-corrupt ex-commies who still supported the Iraq invasion anyway.
No, they didn't take part in the presidentials. An anti-corruption splinter-off from them did, though.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You can say that again.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 08:36:16 AM »

Kaczynski's won by that much... interesting. Any regional stuff?

unfortunatly no
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:53:03 AM »

Here you go. Quite an interesting map, don't you think?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 08:58:51 AM »

Thank's Smiley

The shape of the Tusk districts (or whatever they're called) remind me of something...
Isn't that the part of Poland that used to be in Germany?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 10:11:27 AM »

Thank's Smiley

The shape of the Tusk districts (or whatever they're called) remind me of something...
Isn't that the part of Poland that used to be in Germany?
Pretty much, yes. (Except in some cases the original borders do not exist anymore.) Really the only exception is that NW-most of Kaxzynski's Voivodships (whatever you call them in English)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 10:26:31 AM »

Odd. Why is that?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 10:34:22 AM »

Good question.
One possible reason is the great upheavals of 1945. A majority of the people in the parts of Poland that were German until 45 are DPs and their descendants, after all. They might thence be expected to be less traditionalist. However that wouldn't apply to Eastern Upper Silesia (Slask), or to the Poznan area (Wielkopolska), areas that were "German" until 1918 but Polish since.
Another possible reason might be attitudes on Europe, defined in largish part as attitudes on Germany, which might be influenced by the proximity of the border, intensity of contact(, work experience in Germany, ) etc.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 10:41:26 AM »

Good question.
One possible reason is the great upheavals of 1945. A majority of the people in the parts of Poland that were German until 45 are DPs and their descendants, after all. They might thence be expected to be less traditionalist.

DPs? Is that the same as refugees? Or am I missing something here?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's probably a factor. Also, Tusk did very well in most of the larger urban areas and (from memory) Slask is very urbanised.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 10:44:50 AM »

Tusk didn't win the whatever they call states that Warsaw is in, although it's close so he could've won the city proper.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »

Tusk didn't win the whatever they call states that Warsaw is in, although it's close so he could've won the city proper.

The maps are clickable. Have fun (I did) Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »

Good question.
One possible reason is the great upheavals of 1945. A majority of the people in the parts of Poland that were German until 45 are DPs and their descendants, after all. They might thence be expected to be less traditionalist.

DPs? Is that the same as refugees? Or am I missing something here?
"Displaced Persons". A catch-all for all sorts of refugees in Europe after 1945.
People from Eastern Poland were deported to formerly German areas that had been vacated by either fleeing or deported Germans.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 11:49:21 AM »

Good question.
One possible reason is the great upheavals of 1945. A majority of the people in the parts of Poland that were German until 45 are DPs and their descendants, after all. They might thence be expected to be less traditionalist. However that wouldn't apply to Eastern Upper Silesia (Slask), or to the Poznan area (Wielkopolska), areas that were "German" until 1918 but Polish since.
Another possible reason might be attitudes on Europe, defined in largish part as attitudes on Germany, which might be influenced by the proximity of the border, intensity of contact(, work experience in Germany, ) etc.

There is another - though, probably, extremely minor - reason. Tusk is a "westerner" himself - in fact, he is a native westerner, not a post-war settler. In fact, I believe, he is not even ethnically Polish, but rather Kashubian - a tiny westernmost Slavic minority, native to the vicinity of Gdansk/Danzig. Kashubians survived unassmilated in the ethnic German environment until the 20th century, though these days they might be more prone to assimilating into the ethnically/linguistically more related Polish environment. I don't think that played a particularly important role, but in the more rural parts of the East this "strangeness" might have added to his lack of appeal.  Again, this is, probably, extremely minor, but worth noting.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 11:59:28 AM »

Tusk did win the City of Warsaw proper quite handily: (59.66% to 40.34.% or 531,319 votes to 359,303 votes). In fact, he won every single district in the city: his vote share ranging from 51.55% to 69.92%). He also won some southern suburbs, but lost pretty much everything around
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 12:13:50 PM »

Good question.

There is another - though, probably, extremely minor - reason. Tusk is a "westerner" himself - in fact, he is a native westerner, not a post-war settler. In fact, I believe, he is not even ethnically Polish, but rather Kashubian - a tiny westernmost Slavic minority, native to the vicinity of Gdansk/Danzig. Kashubians survived unassmilated in the ethnic German environment until the 20th century, though these days they might be more prone to assimilating into the ethnically/linguistically more related Polish environment. I don't think that played a particularly important role, but in the more rural parts of the East this "strangeness" might have added to his lack of appeal.  Again, this is, probably, extremely minor, but worth noting.
Interesting. He's Kashubian - does that mean he's a Protestant, too?
German author (and Nobel Prize winner) Günter Grass is Kashubian too, or maybe half Kashubian, I'm not sure. Of course, his were sort-of-assimilated, city of Danzig folk - and fled or were deported West when he was a teenager.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »

Tusk won Oswiecim, with 50.7% of the vote. All the other towns in the district (it's the largest one) voted for Kaczynski, as did the province it`s in (Malopolska).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 08:46:46 PM »

Looks like a pre-WWII map.  Were the settlers in the west mainly those displaced from the east, with those in the center staying in place?

Does 'Niemcy' have cognates in other languages?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 10:50:25 PM »

Was there any real leftist candidates in the first round? Pretty crappy that we'd end up with Cosmo Kramer clone vs. DanielX clone which is what I understand them as.

Maybe one day Poland will follow the leads of Spain and France and throw off the yoke of the repressive Catholic Church.

So Lewis, you agree with me about their women though?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 01:11:58 AM »

Just because Poland chooses to stay with the U.S. and not kiss Russia's ass like you Germans do is no reason to get fussy, Lewis. Grin
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies