Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Author Topic: Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come  (Read 21238 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2018, 06:46:14 PM »
« edited: October 27, 2018, 06:50:42 PM by ProudModerate2 »

The President of the United States is responsible for this shooting ....

Absolutely no, just no
Is his rhetoric helpful , of course not but to blame him for this is crazy

Old School,
Do you agree with anything in my previous post (immediately above this one), that makes a connection between trump and this outrageous attack?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »

Mods I wasn’t kidding when I asked if this was a sock or troll from a banned user/geopolitical adversary. I seriously want an official statement.

Why svensson?
Any user really.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

Absolutely no, just no

Old School,
Do you agree with anything in my previous post (immediately above this one), that makes a connection between trump and this outrageous attack?

I don’t believe crazy supporters of anyone should be blamed on the person they are supporting.

The person who is to blame is the person who committed the crime .
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »

Here is HIAS's statement on the caravan: 

"Under longstanding U.S. and international law, individuals fleeing persecution have the right to seek asylum. HIAS urges the United States government to respect the rule of law, provide all asylum seekers the opportunity to present their claims as required by law, and treat all migrants fairly and humanely. We hope that the asylum seekers and migrants stay safe and that they comply with established laws and procedures for seeking asylum and entering the United States. Most fundamentally, we must remain committed to upholding the human rights of those seeking asylum."

https://www.hias.org/hias-statement-central-american-caravan

Telling the caravan members to obey the law does not sound particular radical.

The only reference I could find to HIAS aiding the caravan was by a Henrik Palmgren and a Mark Collett they don't dwell of HIAS; I think Palmgren mentioned it, but he said couldn't pronounce it.   I won't link to it, because the guy is out there.

The two talking heads are not American and there other subject was Faith Goldy, a rightwinger that ran mayor of Toronto.

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »

Usually I am not too short on words when it comes to stories like this but seriously, I'm at a loss. This week has truly filled me with despair. It might actually be one of the worst weeks of the Trump era, and that's saying a lot. I usually always say about Trump that: "the fact that I hate Trump so much, while having little to lose from his actual policies, is a real testament to how hated he should be by the people that are actually being negatively affected by him being President." Perhaps I stand corrected, because as a Jew and as a liberal Democrat, apparently hunting season is on for us. Between this tragedy in Pittsburgh and the mail bombs, it's clear that there are some in this country who have become much more brazen in their extremism since the Enabler-in-Chief took office and who will not be satisfied unless the people they hate or disagree with are silenced or dead. It's truly upsetting.

But what sucks is that this week can still get worse, because Bolsonaro is poised to become President of Brazil tomorrow. I guess that means that it isn't just our nation that's beyond repair, but the world and humanity as a whole.

I dont mean to come off as insulting but a very very quick bit of research will show that Earth in 2018 is more peaceful, more wealthy, and healthier than ever before in human history. India is on track to eliminate extreme poverty in several years, China has lifted over 500 million people out of extreme poverty in the past 30, and global infant mortality continues to plummet.

Perspective is often times difficult to find, especially now, but keep your head up.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »

Absolutely no, just no

Old School,

I don’t believe crazy supporters of anyone should be blamed on the person they are supporting.

But not solely the perpetrator; what about those who encourage these hate-filled beliefs?  The shooter reportedly was motivated (perhaps among other things) by Jews encouraging immigration.  This afternoon the following was on Lou Dobbs's show:

Farrell, Dobbs, and Fox Business News are part of the problem and share some culpability for pushing this narrative, and continuing to push it even after the shooting.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »

If Trump has not promoted antisemitism, he has certainly promoted racism. Racists invariably turn against Jews, which probably explains why the ADL condemns Muslim-bashing. (Judaism sees Christianity and Islam equally flawed even if the two religious traditions have many virtues in common with Judaism).

Panda Express

« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »

Breitbart, for example, has had a long history of attacking HIAS and linking Jewish groups to immigration. Nonsense of course, but nobody who frequents Breitbart is known for their critical thinking skills or upstanding moral character

https://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2017/02/13/anti-trump-jewish-rally-for-refugees-organizer-funded-by-obama-government-to-resettle-refugees/

https://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/12/03/exclusive-state-department-un-funded-group-behind-1000-rabbis-urging-u-s-refugee-intake/

$500 you can find this guy in the Breitbart comments section
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2018, 07:16:00 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2018, 07:25:03 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Absolutely no, just no

Old School,

You are evading the question, and you know it.
Of course "the person who committed the crime, is the person to blame,"and nowhere did I say anything about blame on the simple notion for "just supporting."
But trump's constant rhetoric to his crazy cultists (MAGA Bomber and now this) is partially to blame.
People don't like to hear Nazi/Hitler stories related to anything trump, but it would be insane not to believe that much of the hate, bigotry and violence towards Jews (right before WWII started) in Germany by "normal" Germans, was obviously due to Hitler's constant words of degradation of the Jewish population. A similar example of "The Leader's" powerful words of persuasion on it's citizenry, could be made here and now with trump.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »

We have got to start arming synagogues, it's the only option I see. How different do you think the 30's in Germany would have been if the Jews were armed?

Perhaps something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Uprising

I think you've meant this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2018, 07:20:21 PM »

The Jewish people have been the targets of hatred, based usually on envy, for longer than I've been alive.  It's be a feature of the diaspora for centuries.  In Russia.  In Eastern Europe.  In the Middle East.  In France.  And in Germany, which, before Hitler came to power, was considered one of the more liberal and tolerant destinations for Jews.

My oldest and best friends in New York, where I grew up. were mostly Jewish.  They have all heard the ugliness of anti-Semetism in all sorts of forms.  The sources of resentment was usually resentment toward their wealth; what was never mentioned by the haters was the extreme sacrifices Jewish immigrants made for their children to have better lives.  They made wise choices, they valued education.  I know some of the older Jewish immigrants (now long passed, I'm sure) and the extreme sacrifices they made so their children could go to college and beyond.  THIS was the source of most of the envy and resentment toward Jews that I saw.  I know many Jews personally that are well off, economically, and every one of my personal acquaintances and friends have in their ancestry someone who came with nothing, sacrificed for their future generations, and, if they were fortunate, lived long enough to see and enjoy some of that pay off.

I have not spoken to any of my older friends today.  They all live up north.  I cannot imagine that Donald Trump is on THEIR minds.  Anti-Semetism, yes; Donald Trump, no.  And I doubt any of them voted for Trump either.  Period.

Are people not better than to whip up blaming Trump for THIS on the eve of midterms?  If he were really at fault for this, that would be one thing, but he's not, yet people push this particular card aggressively.  If the people of Squirrel Hill are saying this, I'll listen.  If it's overly-policiticized Red Atlas Avatars, well, meybe it's time for a sabbatical from politics.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »

The Jewish people have been the targets of hatred, based usually on envy, for longer than I've been alive.  It's be a feature of the diaspora for centuries.  In Russia.  In Eastern Europe.  In the Middle East.  In France.  And in Germany, which, before Hitler came to power, was considered one of the more liberal and tolerant destinations for Jews.

My oldest and best friends in New York, where I grew up. were mostly Jewish.  They have all heard the ugliness of anti-Semetism in all sorts of forms.  The sources of resentment was usually resentment toward their wealth; what was never mentioned by the haters was the extreme sacrifices Jewish immigrants made for their children to have better lives.  They made wise choices, they valued education.  I know some of the older Jewish immigrants (now long passed, I'm sure) and the extreme sacrifices they made so their children could go to college and beyond.  THIS was the source of most of the envy and resentment toward Jews that I saw.  I know many Jews personally that are well off, economically, and every one of my personal acquaintances and friends have in their ancestry someone who came with nothing, sacrificed for their future generations, and, if they were fortunate, lived long enough to see and enjoy some of that pay off.

I have not spoken to any of my older friends today.  They all live up north.  I cannot imagine that Donald Trump is on THEIR minds.  Anti-Semetism, yes; Donald Trump, no.  And I doubt any of them voted for Trump either.  Period.

Are people not better than to whip up blaming Trump for THIS on the eve of midterms?  If he were really at fault for this, that would be one thing, but he's not, yet people push this particular card aggressively.  If the people of Squirrel Hill are saying this, I'll listen.  If it's overly-policiticized Red Atlas Avatars, well, meybe it's time for a sabbatical from politics.

It's not so much that Trump did it but rather that he's enabled for a culture like this to prevail in the American mainstream.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »

It is nice that people are calling out Calthrina950 both sides schtick. He tries to act self-righteous and above the partisan bickering. But nearly all of his talking points are textbook whataboutism from the right.

Christ, at least Sanchez doesn't hide who he is.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »

This is a much better articulation of what I've been trying to argue on here today.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »

It is nice that people are calling out Calthrina950 both sides schtick. He tries to act self-righteous and above the partisan bickering. But nearly all of his talking points are textbook whataboutism from the right.

I consider myself to be a centrist, but your words, and the words of others on here, have poisoned further my view of this forum. I am not engaging in whataboutism, no matter how much you think I am.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #290 on: October 27, 2018, 07:28:53 PM »

Sounds like textbook ad hominem from the left to me.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #291 on: October 27, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »

F Lou Dobbs
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »

It's not so much that Trump did it but rather that he's enabled for a culture like this to prevail in the American mainstream.

These issues are not new; they have been going on long before I was born, and I'm alder than most of Atlas.

Antisemitism has it's roots in envy.  Jews are envied and resented by the far left as well as the far right; let's be real here.  
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »

People coming into a thread about a Bannonite Nazi shooting up a synagogue to scold people on the left for anti-semites in their caucus is Peak 2018.

Bannonite eh? Show me where he blames "Da joos" for everything or anything. I'll wait.

Side note: No one has defined "alt-right" to me either.  More proof all these leftist terms are pure BS.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: October 27, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »

These issues are not new; they have been going on long before I was born, and I'm alder than most of Atlas.

Antisemitism has it's roots in envy.  Jews are envied and resented by the far left as well as the far right; let's be real here.  
Your a page 1/4 late to my response to this fallacy.

To Dabaev: Alt-right was what Nazis adopted to look less like Nazis and exhaust people that explain it to alt-right folks pretending to be deaf.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #295 on: October 27, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »

I consider myself to be a centrist, but your words, and the words of others on here, have poisoned further my view of this forum. I am not engaging in whataboutism, no matter how much you think I am.

IMO, you are walking parody of centrism. Unlike some on the left, I don't outright hate centrists. But I do despise those who see fit to take a middle position on everything. That kind of thought process is harmful, because it allows those who are in the wrong to escape accountability.

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #296 on: October 27, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »

If your initial reaction to a terrorist attack in a house of worship is to bring up this “both sides” bullsh**t, you’re not a “centrist” or a “moderate” but, rather plainly, an “idiot.” If the discourse on this forum is so offensive to you, you always have the option to stop using it — not so lucky are the victims of this horrific attack whose lives have been taken partly thanks to the normalization of extremist, far-right, Nazi rhetoric.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: October 27, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »

IMO, you are walking parody of centrism. Unlike some on the left, I don't outright hate centrists. But I do despise those who see fit to take a middle position on everything. That kind of thought process is harmful, because it allows those who are in the wrong to escape accountability.

What's dangerous is extremism.  Centrism is the opposite of that. Centrism is about balance, you know: the NATURAL ORDER OF THE UNIVERSE.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #298 on: October 27, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »

Great. Not only do we get to hear more long-winded, personal "sad" stories from Fuzzy, but apparently he is now a mind-reader to exactly how his "older friends" feel and think.
If he opens-up a psychic-reading small business out of his home, he could be a millionaire.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #299 on: October 27, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »

The most surprising event of all this was learning that Fuzzy was a White-Flighter, I legit thought he was a north Florida Native
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies