MS-S/NBC-Marist: Hyde-Smith in the lead, wins Runoff (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:45:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  MS-S/NBC-Marist: Hyde-Smith in the lead, wins Runoff (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MS-S/NBC-Marist: Hyde-Smith in the lead, wins Runoff  (Read 5222 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 23, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »

Toss-up remains Toss-up.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »

This has some serious AL-SEN 2017 potential in the runoff, especially if Republicans stay home, so don’t count your chickens before they are hatched. AL was also considered "inelastic" before Jones won, and pretty much nobody thought Hogan would be able to win in a landslide because of Maryland's "inelasticity", so "inelastic" is a term just as nebulous/meaningless as "candidate quality".

Mike Espy is definitely more likely to win than Patrick Morrisey at this point.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »

This has some serious AL-SEN 2017 potential in the runoff, especially if Republicans stay home, so don’t count your chickens before they are hatched. AL was also considered "inelastic" before Jones won, and pretty much nobody thought Hogan would be able to win in a landslide because of Maryland's "inelasticity", so "inelastic" is a term just as nebulous/meaningless as "candidate quality".
AL was exceptional because of Roy Moore and his unique scandals. As long as Cindy Hyde-Smith doesn't turn out to have a similarly murky past, she will be fine.

The enthusiasm gap/turnout differential played a key role as well, and Democrats have a much higher floor in MS than AL. I’m not saying she’ll lose, but she’s not Romney-level safe.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:19:25 PM »

You were saying it's a tossup. It's not. It's likely R.

Yes, everyone’s entitled to their own ratings, and I generally like to be cautious when there’s a lot of uncertainty involved.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:31:09 PM »

I get that. But saying it's a tossup is really pushing it. Lean R I can understand. And of course you decide on your own ratings. Feel free to make it safe D for all I care. But if you're going to say it here, people will respond to it (and let's be honest, that's what you want too).

It’s fine, I was also ridiculed for calling AL-SEN 2017 a Lean D race in 2017. No one is forced to respond to another user's posts, and it’s honestly my only truly "bold" rating for a Senate race, simply because runoffs/special elections can be very unpredictable. I have Hyde-Smith winning by 5-6 in the runoff, so yeah, I could certainly call it Lean R as well.

I also don’t bring it up in every thread like Bagel does with his WV-SEN = Lean R predictions or whatever.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies