A Man Is Never Finished Until He Quits!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Man Is Never Finished Until He Quits!  (Read 1936 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »

Based on a Campaign Trail game

Nixon

That was certainly easy. It was even a challenge, seeing as him being Eisenhower's Vice President made him the Heir apparent for the Republican Nomination and his only challenge was that pathetic Cecil Underwood of West Virginia. He had easily been smacked away and forced to drop out. He had feared Rockefeller would challenge but thankfully, Rockefeller wanted the Republican Party to continue to lead the country. Now he had to deal with that upstart Kennedy.

True, in the polls, he was 4% ahead and close to 269 Electoral Votes, but Dick was a strong campaigner and he had far more experience than this guy. He was itching to campaign. For too long, Nixon had waited to be President and now it was within his reach. He wasn't going to dare let it go. First, however, he had to make a VP Announcement. He had four Candidates to choose from and he believed he found a Solid choice, even if a bit extreme.

Vice President announces Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater as his running mate

July 18th, 1960

A week before the Republican National Convention in Chicago, Vice President and Republican Presumptive Nominee Richard Nixon has chosen Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater as his running mate. Goldwater was mentioned as a possible VP for Nixon due to his staunch conservatism and his appeal to the Southern States, which could help Nixon in the General.

John F. Kennedy, his Democratic Opponent, is expected to make his own announcement in the coming days.

Nixon leads electoral map with over 269 electoral votes

Nixon/Goldwater: 370 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/?: 20 Electoral Votes
Toss-Up: 147 Electoral Votes

Safe (10%+)   Leaning (5-9%)   Tossup (Within 5%) Leaning (5-9%)  Safe (10%+)

July 19th, 1960

With the National Conventions of both major parties soon starting, Polls are showing that Vice President and Republican Candidate Richard Nixon has a huge lead over Democratic Candidate John F. Kennedy with 370 Electoral Votes to Kennedy's 20. However, it seems that Nixon's Running Mate Goldwater will cost him the key state of New York, which holds the most Electoral Votes within the Nation. However, it seems that is being made up with the South being very supportive of Nixon and Goldwater. While it'll likely get tighter this fall, we can only wait and see.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:25:14 AM »

Great! Maybe Nixon is less paranoid this time as he became after his 1960 loss that he saw as a stolen election by the Kennedy machine.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »

Great! Maybe Nixon is less paranoid this time as he became after his 1960 loss that he saw as a stolen election by the Kennedy machine.

Wait and See Wink
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »

Kennedy

July 30th, 1960

The 1960 Republican National Convention was seemingly the most important convention in the party's history as Vice President Nixon made clear that there was no place for Rockefellers and Liberals in the party. The Democrats had been as expected with a pivot to the left and a message of change from the last 8 years but the Republicans did the opposite, pivoting to the right and stunning experts, with Goldwater and Nixon being seen as the Oligarchs of the Convention, as made apparent by their acceptance speeches.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower had managed to give his usual moderate stances as well as attack Kennedy on his youth and inexperience, stating "You can't give the Nuclear Button to someone that young and inexperienced and expect them to know how to do well." and Nixon himself focused on continuing the Legacy of Eisenhower, but with a twinge of Conservatism, stating: "The last 8 years, of which I was Vice President during, has seen a huge amount of success and prosperity within this country, but now we must do something radical. I will continue the policies of Eisenhower, but with a Conservative twinge as the ideas of modern day Liberals have gotten to out of hand and our federal Government is under great strain already. We can't keep spending on useless programs that the Liberals want us to and instead we should focus on the important issues, such as Defense from the Soviets and the end of Communism internally."

The Convention speech had allowed many to be excited for victory the future, with 62% saying it was quite Positive. However, a problem emerged when New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller walked out of the Convention with his liberal friends and fellow Delegates. For the 'best Convention' prize, the RNC  with a majority, with 53% to 44%, and 3% undecided.

With the General Election now in full swing, it's only a matter of time to see how this race goes.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »

Nixon campaigns in Illinois, Stating Defense Improvement always a requirement and in favor of a Elderly Health Care plan that is voluntary

August 1st-6th, 1960

On the Campaign trail in Illinois, Vice President Nixon has been asked on his stances on Defense Spending and the Healthcare for Elderly Americans bill that failed to pass recently and he answered them effectively. On Healthcare, he stated "It was a great idea, don't get me wrong, but I prefer a different program, one that offers Health Insurance to the elderly that they can choose to purchase it. The one that failed was Mandatory and sadly only covered those covered by the Social Security Act." On Defense, he said, "There is always room for improvement, but for the last 8 years, America has defended itself quite well against Soviet Aggression for the last eight years and I believe that if we enforce the policies that we've done for the last eight years, we'll continue to do well."

Kennedy Attacks Nixon while Campaigning in Missouri

August 7th, 1960

Kennedy recently went on the attack, likely due to the urging of Senator Symington, criticizing Vice President Nixon for his statements while on the campaign trail. He stated "Vice President Nixon is sadly trapped in his own ways, the ideas that led us into a recession in 1958 and the ideas that is very damaging for all Americans. The program the Vice President so flagrantly shot down did not go far enough and yet he doesn't want to aid the common American. I plan to enforce a Universal system of Health Care for all Americans, so everyone is covered. On the Defense Front, it is obvious that the Vice President has no idea on what he is talking about. It is very clear that we have a Missile Gap against the Soviets and we need to do everything to the best of our ability to close it." It is unexpected that Kennedy's idea for Healthcare will pass when even Truman on his Best could pass it while him bringing up the Missile Gap myth has made President Eisenhower furious.

Nixon responds to Kennedy attack in New Mexico

August 9th, 1960

While campaigning in Albuquerque, Vice President Nixon took the time to criticize Kennedy's attacks on him two days ago, saying "It seems Senator Kennedy forgets that President Truman tried to pass the exact same healthcare plan that he mentioned during his presidency and he never got it passed, so I'm curious as to why he thinks he'll be able to do better. He also brought up the whole myth of the Missile Gap. There is no Missile Gap between us and the Soviet Union and what Senator Kennedy has said shows how negative the Democrats are willing to go to bring down President Eisenhower and slander the Republicans." The response has been positively received, with Senator Kennedy taking a hit from his failed attacks and likely has convinced to stay away from Negative campaigning for the rest of the Election.

Nixon still above 269, but behind in Louisiana and New York

Nixon/Goldwater: 367 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/Symington: 75 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 95 Electoral Votes

August 10th, 1960

Following the failed attacks by Senator Kennedy and Nixon's successful response, the Vice President has remained popular with the country, however, Senator Kennedy has gained support in the States of New York and Louisiana. As the campaign season continues however, it's likely Nixon's large lead will fall apart.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »

Nixon Campaigns in Georgia

August 21st, 1960

Vice President Richard Nixon has spent the last few days campaigning in the state of Georgia, as he put the Peach state in his sights for a Conservative Republican Conquest of the South. On the Campaign trail, he was asked on the Economy and he said, "It was a pretty bad recession in 1958, but, but we are on the right track economically. The recovery has been strong and 1960 will see a very high growth rate in this country." He was then asked his position on the Soviet Threat on August 16th, after his Economy speech on August 14th. In response to the question, Nixon said "We can never be fully and completely satisfied, however, we have certainly held our own in the Cold War throughout the Eisenhower administration, compared to how we were in the height of the Korean War." It is likely these position will give him a big boost in his Presidential Bid.

Kennedy Campaigns in New York

August 22nd, 1960

As Nixon puts the Peach State in his sights, Senator Kennedy has put a great deal of focus on The Empire State. He was asked his position on the Economy, just like Nixon and responded "We need to do better. I like Ike, I really do, but we need to face reality. Our present administration advocated for a hard money policy, which undeniably caused the 1958 recession and left idle industrial capacity within this country." When asked how he felt on the Soviet Threat, Kennedy replied "Cuba has been lost to the Soviets, leaving a potential base for Communist aggression just 90 miles from Florida. To say I am unsatisfied is a lie, I am deeply unsatisfied!" His answers has allowed him a nice bump in the polls.

Nixon Lead falls by 25, but still ahead with 309

Nixon/Goldwater: 309 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/Symington: 75 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 153 Electoral Votes

August 23rd, 1960

In the last few weeks, Senator Kennedy has begun to catch up to Vice President Nixon. Despite it being clearly for Nixon for the Month of August, Kennedy has begun to catch up to the Vice President and could be right on his doorstep very soon.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »

Nixon Campaigns in Michigan

August 28th, 1960

For the last week, Vice President Nixon has campaigned in the state of Michigan with the hopes of carrying it this November. As his large lead begins to slip, desperation has set in though currently, it looks like he'll easily win for now. During the Campaign trail, he spoke on the preparedness of the United States to deal with the Soviet threat over the next 10 years, he stated "I'm very satisfied with the sound defense policies and strong economic policies and I believe our advantage should continue to be maintained over the Soviet Union." At the same time, he decided to go on the offensive against Kennedy, citing his high experience as Vice President as compared to the Youthful Kennedy's lack of it. He has seen a small uptick in support due to this, but it's unlikely how long it'll last.

Kennedy Campaigns in Ohio

August 30th, 1960

Kennedy has spent the last few days campaigning in the Mother of Presidents, Ohio, to rally support for his cause. On the Preparedness of the United States against the Soviet Threat for the next 10 years, Senator Kennedy stated "We have a Missile Gap and an overly tight monetary policy that is constraining our growth. These Shortfalls concern me, they concern you, and they concern every American. These shortfalls could and most likely will allow the Soviets to get an advantage over us if this is failed to be addressed upon." On the Vice President making Experience a centerpiece of his campaign, Kennedy had this to say "I question the idea. A majority of Americans don't really know what role the Vice President played in Eisenhower's administration or what policies he could've implemented. Furthermore, me and Nixon entered Congress in the same year, 1947, and we both served in the highest levels of Government for quite some time, so for the Vice President to claim I lack the experience needed is laughable at best." The criticism of Nixon's experience has been widely received, though some criticize Kennedy and ask the question If 8 years of being Vice President doesn't garner enough experience, what is?, but Kennedy has now made a rather sizable dent into the Experience Tent Nixon has put at the head of his Campaign.

Nixon lead regains steadily, 311-65

Nixon/Goldwater: 311 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/Symington: 65 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 161 Electoral Votes

Safe (10%+)   Leaning (5-9%)   Tossup (Within 5%) Leaning (5-9%) Safe (10%+)

September 1st, 1960

Polling data from the last hand full of days show that Vice President Nixon has regained ground due to using his experience as key element in his campaign and while Kennedy's response has helped him some, it's clear it currently isn't enough to stop the Nixon Train.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »

Nixon Campaigns in Pennsylvania

September 9th, 1960

Visiting the Keystone State for the last few days, Vice President Nixon stated that he would make no promises where he would and wouldn't visit when being pressed on to visit the South. While some southerners are disappointed at this turn of events, Nixon has told them that Goldwater would be proud to campaign there. When asked if he would attack Kennedy on his Catholicism, Vice President Nixon answered "Honestly, why do people even bring up this issue? My running mate, Goldwater, is the son of a Jew and you hear no one attacking him based on his ethnic descent. I mean, it's very idiotic and unpresidential to attack someone based on their religion as when you're President, you're going to govern Americans from all ethnic backgrounds and religious identities. Plus, people already know he's a catholic. I wouldn't really be breaking any new ground here." Following this statement, Nixon has received a lot of support and a personal thank you from the Kennedy campaign for not putting petty politics above human decency and common sense.

Kennedy Campaigns in Illinois

September 10th, 1960

Visiting the Land of Lincoln, Senator Kennedy hopes to carry the state and makes a real dent into Nixon's hopes of victories. While being attacked on his Catholicism, the Kennedy Campaign has collected leaflets and showed them to the media to show the extent some people would go to attack him. Many agree that the impulse was noble but they also agree that he came off as a little petty when awkwardly reading these leaflets during a press conference. When asked if he thought President Eisenhower sending troops to Little Rock to ensure School integration was right or wrong, the Senator stated "I believe Eisenhower did what he had to do and force Little Rock to obey the ruling from the Supreme Court. Could it have been less violent and less dramatic? Sure, but his hands were tied." Many agree that the response was Moderate and excitement for Kennedy has gone down due to this milquetoast answer.

Nixon holds lead over 300 Electoral Votes going into September

Nixon/Goldwater: 316 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/Symington: 30 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 191 Electoral Votes

Safe (10%+)   Leaning (5-9%)  Tossup (Within 5%) Leaning (5-9%) Safe (10%+)

September 11th, 1960

Following the last few weeks, both campaigns have been relatively successful at staving off Scandals so far, but Nixon is the clear champion. As the month of September begins, it looks as if Kennedy's Presidential hopes and dreams are destroyed before they can truly begin.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »

Nixon Campaigns in West Virginia

September 17th, 1960

Spending a solid few days in the Good Ol' State of West Virginia, though he has made one critical error during a rally. When asked what he would do about the movement where black students were sitting at whites only lunch counters and department stores and if he supported it, he said "Honestly, Segregation is a horrible, unforgivable thing and this movement has my full support, as do other modern day Civil Rights movements. In fact, If elected, I will immediately begin pushing for a Civil Rights act as soon as possible." Many agreed that it's a little odd that Nixon chose Goldwater to be his running mate while also campaigning for Civil Rights Legislature and has even led to some confusion among supporters. When asked on the Little Rock situation, the Vice President said "He absolutely did and as President, I will have further action pushed to desegregate our schools and enforce current Civil Rights Legislature." Which such astoundingly anti-southern ideas, it's clear Nixon has appealed to a large swath of the country and is very popular. It's unlikely that Nixon will lose support but will instead rise in support due to his statements. However, the ticket could be in danger.

Conversation between then Vice President Richard M. Nixon and then Senator Barry Goldwater

September 13th, 1960

Goldwater: "Did you really have to say that, Dick? You know it goes against my values. The states should have the right to-!"

Nixon: "Quiet." *Silence for a few seconds* "If you don't like it, there's the door. You've always been free to leave the ticket."

*Silence reigns for a few minutes*

Nixon: "Well?"

Goldwater: "I won't leave, Dick. I've put too much into this to just up and leave all of a sudden. But...Listen, I will give silent support on the bill, but the week it comes to a vote, I'll go on vacation to avoid voting...if we win."

Nixon: "We're going to win."

Goldwater: "If you think so. I hope you understand what I'm saying."

Nixon: "Yes, of course I understand. No need to worry."

Kennedy visits California

September 18th, 1960

Kennedy visited the home state of his opponent in an attempt to strike a blow to Nixon's large lead for several days. When asked on the issue of U-2 Spy Plane which was shot down in Siberia as well as surrounding espionage and if the United States should apologize, Senator Kennedy said "We will absolutely not apologize. We cannot and will not show weakness in the face of Soviet Aggression and there is proof that the Paris Summit collapsed from the intransigence of Nikita Kruschev." When pressed on the Sit-ins, Senator Kennedy said the exact same thing that Nixon said, thus showing that both agree on the issue of Civil Rights. Many are pleased with this revelation and it looks like Both campaigns have a new leash on life after being so successful with being a Moderate force.

Nixon at 322 Electoral Votes in the Middle of September

Nixon/Goldwater: 322 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 185 Electoral Votes

September 19th, 1960

Following half of the chaotic mess of Mid September, the Nixon Campaign looks keen for a easy win in November and it's unlikely much will change between now and then. Still, anything is possible.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »

in case you are wonder, these are all live updates for the actual game I'm playing (yes, I'm playing two games at once to see every choice for both candidates).
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »

Nixon comes to Maryland

September 23rd, 1960

Nixon visits the State of Maryland in the following few days in order to eat into Kennedy's possible Electoral Vote Count in November. When pressed on the U-2 Spy Plane, he said much of the same thing that Kennedy said on the issue. When pressed on Kennedy's Catholicism, Nixon said "I said it once and I'll say it again: I will not make my opponent's beliefs an issue of this campaign." in a brief speech that saw another personal thank you from the Kennedy campaign and saw Nixon slowly rise in support due to him not going below the belt.

Kennedy visits Michigan

September 24th, 1960

Senator Kennedy has arrived in Michigan in order to garner support and at least try and stop Nixon's seemingly inevitable victory. When pressed on his Catholicism, Kennedy gave a televised speech to put an end to the issue once and for all. The speech was positively received among many and Kennedy has saw a slight bump in the polls due to it.

Nixon at 314, can anything stop him?

Nixon/Goldwater: 314 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 193 Electoral Votes

September 25th, 1960

With September coming to a close, Nixon still remains as the favorite to win as he stands at 314 Electoral Votes and has little to no chance of losing currently. However, with Kennedy having put the issue of his Catholicism to rest, now Kennedy can focus on going all out against Nixon to win. The real race has truly begun.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 04:22:38 PM »

Nixon and Kennedy Debate! Kennedy Wins!

September 26th, 1960

In a debate between the two men to have issues be discussed in full between the Candidates. Kennedy was the obvious winner with Vice President Nixon sweating heavily and somewhat stuttering during the debate while Kennedy looked calm, collected, and Presidential. Due to this victory, Kennedy has received a bump in National Polls and now Nixon could really be threatened by the upstart Kennedy.

Nixon campaigns in Connecticut

October 2nd, 1960

Licking his wounds from the outcome of the Debate, Vice President Nixon has went to Connecticut in a desperate attempt to crack into Kennedy's hardened Liberal support, though it seems to have little basis in Reality. When asked on the issue of Farm Subsidies that were left over from The New Deal, Vice President Nixon responded "I do believe these programs do need to be slowly phased out over time but in a way that won't harm our country's farm policy." While the issue isn't as important as it once was, many agree it was a good middle ground statement that is very helpful for Nixon in the Farming parts of the Country.

Kennedy visits Oregon

October 3rd, 1960

Following his impressive win against Vice President Nixon, Senator Kennedy decided to campaign in Oregon in order to show how strong he is now. When asked on Cuba, Senator Kennedy said "What we currently see in Cuba is unfortunately the effect of inefficient support for the Governments and Movements that oppose Communism. We must be more aggressive against Castro's regime to prevent stuff like this happening in the future." When pressed on South Vietnam, Senator Kennedy said "I believe we need to do everything humanely possible to prevent another nation falling to the blight of communism, even if we must commit our forces to help us." His aggressive stance is the kind the American people loved to hear and Kennedy has gotten even more popular due to it.

Nixon under 269, Vice President now in trouble?

Nixon/Goldwater: 208 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/Symington: 95 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 234 Electoral Votes

October 4th, 1960

Following the Debate, Nixon has become a wounded animal and Kennedy is tasting blood in the water. Now the question is: How can Nixon recover?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »

Nixon rallies in Pennsylvania

October 9th, 1960

In a desperate attempt to revive his faltering campaign, the Vice President decided to charge into Pennsylvania to have him and Kennedy battle it out in the same state. The Senator, however, decided to go to Ohio instead. The Vice President, nonetheless, went on the campaign trail looking to rally his voters in the Keystone State. When asked on how he would do as President to combat unemployment in America's industrial cities, the Vice President said "What we need to do is lower taxes, place fewer regulations, and institute a smaller federal government. No more involvement of the Washington into the life of the ordinary American. I've been to Detroit and I've seen the result of that first hand. My plan will encourage private enterprise and spur a recovery to our industrial capacity." The statement heavily motivated the base but the immediate effects outside of the Republican base is unknown. When pushed on Cuba, Nixon said "What happened was a travesty and it was under the watch of myself and President Eisenhower, and because of that, we have seen a lot of hostility from Fidel, who threatens to take Guantanamo Bay. In order to stop any possible threat, we will fortify our base in that location and do anything that is necessary to stop them if this hostility continues. Currently, however, it is too early to make a conclusive idea at this point about whether or not Cuba is serious about its hostility." Nixon's statement was well received as a middle ground statement to make sure he doesn't seem too aggressive but also not too pacifistic on the issue of Cuba, allowing him a slight bump in the polls.

Senator Kennedy goes to Ohio

October 10th, 1960

Avoiding Vice President Nixon's attempt to have both men campaign in the same state, Senator Kennedy has went to the Buckeye state in order to garner support and win the key state. When pressed on what he would do about the 91% Tax Rate, he said he had no concern on it and was focused on creating an old age insurance program and funding education, which was received moderately well within his party. When asked on Farm Subsidies, Senator Kennedy responded "These subsidies are absolutely necessary. Without them, farmers will not be able to bargain for their crops and any weakness in that sector could lead to a wider recession in our entire Economy." While the issue isn't popular as it once was, senator Kennedy has struck a note that he is in fact different from Nixon.

Race gets closer, could Kennedy pull an upset?

Nixon/Goldwater: 208 Electoral Votes
Kennedy/Symington: 104 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 225 Electoral Votes

October 11th, 1960

It's very clear that Nixon is now under clear threat as the once favorite to win continues to struggle against the Massachusetts Senator. Only a few weeks ago, Victory was all but assured but now, Nixon could lose in a close election. With only a few weeks between now and election day, there is very little things that can happen now that can change the outcome.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »

Nixon visits California as desperation sets in

October 18th, 1960

As Vice President Nixon slips in the polls, he has decided to visit his home state of California in an attempt to rally his supporters around him. When asked if he would pass a bill that addresses the worst of segregation in the South, Nixon stated "I was asked what I would do about the sit-ins and I said I would sign a Civil Rights when I'm elected President. You ask me again and my Opinion has never changed. I support any Civil Rights Bill and I will work with Congress to get one written and passed." The statement received wide applause throughout the country and Nixon has increased in popularity once more. When asked on his position on the power of Labor Unions in the country, the Vice President gave his answer: "We should do anything to reduce the power of these labor unions. They don't help employees and workers, they instead hurt them as the increase the standards so employers can't hire and so they have an ever dependent force to always support them no matter what. True they started out noble, but it's clear to see that they've become very corrupt and over-bloated from the federal income in recent years." The statement got the base fired up but at this point, it seems a little impracticable.

Senator Kennedy goes on the offensive in Minnesota.

October 19th, 1960

Senator Kennedy has decided to go on another offensive, threatening the state of Minnesota in order to grab it from Nixon on Election day. When asked on his position on education, the Senator gave his simple answer "I personally believe Education is a decisive front in our battle against the Communist menace. That will include adequate and respect to the teachers of our youth. as President, I will also certainly support further funding on this." The answer won him a lot of support with Democrats, but with Moderates and Republicans, the effect remains uncertain. When asked if the islands of Quemoy and Matsu fall within the defense parameters of the United States in Asia, Kennedy stated "I think this question is ridiculous. I believe we need to send armed garrisons to these islands and make sure there will be no mistaking our commitment in fighting Communism." which has made several citizens whether ill and wary of the President as it seems he's going to far to defend such tiny islands for such little gains.

Nixon at 240, Rebound incoming?

Nixon/Goldwater: 240 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 193 Electoral Votes

October 20th, 1960

As the campaign season slowly begins to end as we enter the final weeks, the Vice President has rebounded, placing California in his column once again in the leaning category. Anything can change between now and November 8th, but it seems Nixon has finally rebounded after struggling for much of October.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »

Nixon goes to Illinois

October 28th, 1960

With the final stretch in reach, the Vice President has decided to go to Illinois once again in order to attempt to consolidate his support in the region. When asked on the threat of internal Communism, the Vice President stated "It's very unfortunate that we have lost interest on the threat of communism within our own government when espionage and infiltration are genuine concerns to battle this threat that is as large as the external threat the Soviets pose." The argument seemed stale after years of aggressive expansion from Soviets with minimal internal security leaks, but Nixon is clearly speaking to a portion of America that is still afraid. Wen asked on the 91% Tax Rate, the Vice President replied simply "Maybe I'll cut it, maybe I won't cut it, it will all depend on how the Economy goes in my first two years as President." which saw a lot of positive reactions from the Nation at large.

Kennedy goes to New Hampshire

October 29th, 1960

Following the apparent loss of support, the Massachusetts Senator has decided to target the crucial state of New Hampshire as every state will count on Election Night. When pressured on the threat of Internal Communism, the Senator had an easy remark: "Me and my running mate opposed McCarthyism when it was around. It had no place in America then, and it has no place in America now. The last thing we need right now is a return to the excess and witch-hunts of the 1950s. We need to be focused on the external threat posed by the Soviets and not on the myth of internal Communist subversion." The statement allowed Kennedy to rise in the polls. hen asked for his position on Labor Unions, he said "It's clear that Labor Unions are important to our economy and it's clear that Labor Unions have the possibility of being corrupt. I personally support Labor Unions and I strongly oppose the fearful excesses of leaders such as Jimmy Hoffa. Unions, once cleansed of their corrupt elements, should and will play a central role in our economy when I'm President." The response energized the Democratic base and Kennedy has bounced back in the polls as his chance of victory increases.

Nixon back at 204, Close Election once again

Nixon/Goldwater: 204 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 229 Electoral Votes

October 30th, 1960

With only a few days left between now and Election day, Nixon now holds a 100 Electoral Vote Lead and is still a favorite to win as he leads in a large amount of states that could hand the victory to him. With a surprise looming however, the question will remain for whoever to gain upon the aftermath of the surprise.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »

YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't get it. If you're getting angry that I'm posting a lot, I show you to this statement:

in case you are wonder, these are all live updates for the actual game I'm playing (yes, I'm playing two games at once to see every choice for both candidates).
link=topic=304548.msg6483740#msg6483740 date=1540248679]

but don't worry, I do have at least two more quick updates and then this TL will be silent while I write Election Night.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »

MLK ARRESTED!!! Nixon Demands Release, Kennedy criticizes arrest!

November 1st, 1960

Leader of the Civil Rights movement Martin Luther King Jr was arrested in Georgia. Vice President Nixon made a call to offer his condolences to Mrs. King and demanded the Release of the influential figure  while Senator Kennedy publicly criticized the arrest but made no further statements. With the power of the Presidency on his side, King was freed within hours and after getting out, he thanked Vice President Nixon for helping him and wished him the best of luck on the campaign trail. Nixon has seen a large bounce in the polls due t this Kennedy while Kennedy lags behind.

Goldwater campaigns in the South, Eisenhower campaigns in the Midwest for Nixon

November 2nd, 1960

As the Vice President puts focus on the East Coast, he has decided to have an All Hands on deck Approach in order to win. Telling President Eisenhower, who is very popular, to campaign in the Midwest and Senator Goldwater to campaign in the South while he focuses on the West Coast. With the Election so close, Nixon has seen a large bounce in support Nationwide as well in the Midwest.

Kennedy goes to Wisconsin

November 3rd, 1960

In an attempt to battle Nixon's likely victory on Election Day, Kennedy has decided to target the State of Wisconsin, hoping to grab the Rust Belt and swing the Election to him. When pressed on the issues of a Civil Rights Bill, he stated the exact same thing Nixon said, thus leaving no real difference between the two on the last major issue on the Campaign.

With Election Night in sights, Nixon at 195 Electoral Votes

Nixon/Goldwater: 195 Electoral Votes
Toss-Ups: 238 Electoral Votes

November 4th, 1960

Only 91 Electoral Votes separate both candidates from one another with only 4 days left to campaign. Nixon has never fallen behind in the polls and any probable loss is likely. Polls showed them timed in the Popular Votes and now both prepare for their final campaigns to make their peace.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »

Nixon hits the South, Kennedy hits Eastern Seaboard in final days

November 6th, 1960

After several months of campaigning it all comes down to this. Nixon has decided to focus on the South in order to achieve victory while Kennedy has decided to focus on the Eastern Seaboard in the final two days of the campaign. They are still tied in the polls but it's likely that Nixon could pull out a squeaker of a victory. I really depends on how both sides go in their final days of campaigning.
alancia
Argentina

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 07:09:53 PM »

Nice to see you inspired by my timeline in format, haha. Nice TL, too; although I don't know if the Rust Belt existed yet in the 1960's.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »

Nice to see you inspired by my timeline in format, haha. Nice TL, too; although I don't know if the Rust Belt existed yet in the 1960's.
It was called the Manufacturing Belt back then.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 07:41:29 AM »

Election Night, 1960

7 PM EST

It's 7 PM on the Eastern Coast  and the polls have closed in Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia and we can make several projections.

Georgia

We can project that Senator Kennedy wins the state of Georgia and it's 12 Electoral Votes. In the Senate race, Incumbent Senator Richard Russell Jr. is unopposed.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 53.97% (379,452)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 46.03% (323,637)

Senate

Richard Russell Jr.: 100%

Indiana

We can project that Vice President Nixon wins Indiana and it's 13 Electoral Votes.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 55.59% (1,152,122)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 44.41% (920,451)

In the Governor Elections, Lieutenant Governor Crawford F. Parker wins.

Governor

Crawford F. Parker: 57.8%
Matthew E. Welsh: 42.2%

Kentucky

We can also project that the Vice President also wins in Kentucky and it's 10 Electoral Votes. In the Senate, John S. Cooper wins re-election.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 53.60% (574,091)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 46.40% (497,033)

Senate

John S. Cooper: 60.3%
Keen Johnson: 39.7%

South Carolina

Vice President Nixon easily wins the state of South Carolina and it's 8 Electoral Votes with ease. For the Senate Election, Incumbent Strom Thurmond is unopposed.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 55.40% (217,742)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 44.40% (175,277)

Senate

Strom Thurmond: 100%

Vermont

We can project that Vice President Richard Nixon wins the State of Vermont and it's 3 Electoral Votes. For Governor, State Representative F. Ray Keyser Jr.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 59.40% (94,564)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 40.60% (64,630)

Governor

F. Ray Keyser Jr.: 56%
Russell F. Niquette: 44%

Virginia

Finally, we can project that the state of Virginia, with 12 Electoral Votes, goes to Vice President Nixon, giving him a clear early lead tonight. In the Senate, Incumbent A. Willis Robertson wins re-election

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 54.54% (419,661)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 45.46% (349,765)

Senate

A. Willis Robertson: 84%
Stuart D. Baker: 16%

As it stands, Vice President Nixon has 46 Electoral Votes while Senator Kennedy has 12.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 46
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »

Election Night, 1960

7:30 PM EST

It's 7:30 PM in the Eastern Seaboard and the States of North Carolina, Ohio, and West Virginia have closed their polls. We can project all three.

North Carolina

In the State of North Carolina, with 14 Electoral Votes, Vice President Nixon wins. For the Governor race, Robert L. Gavin wins and in the Senate, Kyle Hayes squeaks out a victory.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 50.91% (675,580)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 49.09% (651,314)

Governor

Robert L. Gavin: 53%
Terry Sanford: 47%

Senate

Kyle Hayes: 50.1%
B. Everett Jordan: 49.9%

Ohio

In the State of Ohio, with 26 Electoral Votes, Nixon gets the win and has a good chance of victory now.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 54% (2,143,069)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 46% (1,825,490)

West Virginia

In the State of West Virginia, with 8 Electoral Votes, Senator Kennedy gets the win, putting him in Double digits. For Governor, Mr. Harold E. Neely wins and for Senate, Governor Cecil H. Underwood wins.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 51.33% (410,579)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 48.67% (389,320)

Governor

Harold E. Neely: 52%
William Wallace Barron: 48%

Senate

Cecil H. Underwood: 55%
Jennings Randolph: 45%

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 85
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 20
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2018, 10:04:11 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Election Night, 1960

8 PM EST

It's 8 PM in the East and we have several Projections. Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Kennedy's Home State of Massachusetts, Mississippi, Kennedy's Running Mate, Stuart Symington's home state of Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee.

Alabama

In Alabama, we project that Senator Kennedy will win, however, we can also say that 6 Electors will go to Senator Harry Byrd of Virginia as they said they would go to him should Kennedy win the State. In the Senate, Incumbent John Sparkman wins.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 50.62% (278,932)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 49.38% (272,108)

Senate

John Sparkman: 79%
Julian Elgin: 21%

Connecticut

Senator Kennedy wins the State of Connecticut and it's 8 Electoral Votes.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 53.90% (650,623)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 46.10% (556,565)

Delaware

Senator Kennedy wins in the State of Delaware, with it's 3 Electoral Votes. For Governor, John W. Rollins wins and for Senate, J. Caleb Boggs wins.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 50.56% (97,401)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 49.44% (95,253)

Governor

John W. Rollins: 52.3%
Elbert N. Carvel: 47.7%

Senate

J. Caleb Boggs: 51.2%
J. Allen Frear Jr.: 48.8%

Florida

In Florida, we can project that the Vice President carries the State and it's 10 Electoral Votes. George C. Petersen wins the Governors race there.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 53.14% (812,370)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 46.86% (716,419)

Governor

George C. Petersen: 54.7%
C. Farris Bryant: 45.3%

Illinois

We can project that Senator Kennedy will win the State of Illinois and it's 27 Electoral Votes. In the Senate, Ed Derwinski wins. For Governor, William Stratton Wins.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 51.42% (1,384,379)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 48.58% (1,307,926)

Governor

William Stratton: 53.1%
Otto Keaner Jr.: 46.9%

Ed Derwinski: 52.9%
Paul Douglas: 47.1%

Maine

In Maine, Vice President Nixon easily wins it's 5 Electoral Votes. For Governor, Jack H. Reed wins and for Senate, Margaret Chase Smith wins.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 57.99% (244,581)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 42.01% (177,153)

Governor

Jack H. Reed: 55.6%
Frank M. Coffin: 44.4%

Senate

Margaret Chase Smith: 63.9%
Lucia M. Cormier: 36.1%

Maryland

Senator Kennedy wins the State of Maryland and it's 9 Electoral Votes.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 53.97% (584,032)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 46.03% (498,138)

Massachusetts

Senator Kennedy wins his Home State of Massachusetts and it's 16 Electoral Votes easily. For Governor, John A. Volpe wins and for Senate, Leverett Saltonstall wins.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 60.26% (1,507,209)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 39.74% (993,929)

Governor

John A. Volpe: 52.6%
Joseph D. Ward: 47.4%

Senate

Leverett Saltonstall: 59.7%
Thomas J. O'Connor Jr.: 40.3%

Mississippi

In the State of Mississippi, Vice President Nixon carries it's 8 Electoral Votes. In the Senate, James Eastland wins.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 50.20% (154,514)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 49.80% (153,312)

Senate

James Eastland: 91.3%
Joe A. Moore: 8.7%

Missouri

Vice President Nixon takes the Home State of Kennedy's Running Mate, Stuart Symington, the prize of Missouri and it's 13 Electoral Votes. For Governor, Edward G. Farmer wins. For Senate, Thomas B. Curtis wins.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 51.85% (986,894)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 48.15% (916,460)

Governor

Edward G. Farmer: 50.2%
John M. Dalton: 49.8%

Senate

Thomas B. Curtis: 56.7%
Edward V. Long: 43.3%

New Hampshire

Vice President Nixon wins New Hampshire and it's 4 Electoral Votes. For Governor, Wesley Powell wins. For Senate, Styles Bridges wins.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 54.34% (162,718)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 45.66% (136,735)

Governor

Wesley Powell: 59.3%
Barnard L. Boutin: 40.7%

Senate

Styles Bridges: 61.3%
Herbet W. Hill: 38.7%

New Jersey

In New Jersey, Senator Kennedy takes it's 16 Electoral Votes home, bringing him to 104 Electoral Votes currently. In the Senate, Clifford P. Case wins.

John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 51.32% (1,422,410)
Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 48.68% (1,348,972)

Senate

Clifford P. Case: 54.7%
Thorn Lord: 45.3%

Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, Vice President Nixon wins it's 8 Electoral Votes easily. For Senate, Page Belcher wins.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 61.42% (575,933)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 38.58% (361,830)

Senate

Page Belcher: 55.2%
Robert S. Kerr: 44.8%

Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, Vice President Nixon easily gets its 32 Electoral Votes.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 50.30% (2,588,884)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 49.70% (2,558,235)

Tennessee

We can announce that Vice President Nixon wins Tennessee and it's 11 Electoral Votes. For Senate, Winfield Dunn wins.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 55.94% (560,279)
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 44.06% (441,215)

Senate

Winfield Dunn: 50.1%
Estes Kefauver: 49.9%

With that, Vice President Nixon has a clear advantage going into the rest of the night as he has won a large amount of states right now and even more to possibly come in a few minutes.

Richard Nixon/Barry Goldwater: 176
John F. Kennedy/Stuart Symington: 104
Harry Byrd/Strom Thurmond: 6
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »

Prediction: Nixon wins in a landslide.

Do you intend to cover his presidency from 1961 onward?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies