Argentina legislative elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:53:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Argentina legislative elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Argentina legislative elections  (Read 1293 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2005, 12:29:37 AM »

Anyone has word on that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:11:36 AM »

Not much. I've found a BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4366122.stm) but that's about it.
Very odd.
YoMartin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:12:52 AM »

Not much to say, interesting elections. Kirchner will be strengthen by the outcome, yet he could lose 3 of the 5 biggest districts.

Anything in particular you´d like to know?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:14:20 PM »

Wow.
Talk about a serious Blast from the Past.
Yo, Martin, how you doing? You still lurking regularly around these forums? Now all I need is a return visit from Dunn to make my day. Smiley

And to answer your question, one piece I read over here said there probably wouldn't be much movement within parties but all the interesting action would be within the Peronists. Is that right? How well defined are these Peronist factions exactly?
YoMartin
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 06:35:53 PM »

I checked some threads on the german election, but before that... no, I think I wasn´t here in months.

You´re right, the main action is going on within peronism. In the province of Buenos Aires, which is the main district (35% of the national vote), current president Kirchner and former president Duhalde (both peronists) are supported by different candidates. Opposition to peronism is still very divided after De la Rua´s disastrous government and no national party has been able to unify the different provincial leaders. Kirchner´s candidates will get most of the votes, be they could come 2nd in Santa Fe and Mendoza provinces (3rd and 5th by number of voters) and even 3rd in Buenos Aires City (2nd). Nobody believes to the polls anymore (like pretty much everywhere), and there a few tight races, so tomorrow will be an interesting day.

About differences between the different peronist factions, there´s not much ideology there but personal conflicts. That being said, Kirchner peronists seem to be more middle class and center-left than Duhalde´s, who are more lower class and populists. Apparently, Kirchner is trying to end the old peronism/anti-peronism division of Argentina politics to build a more "european" party system (center-left vs center-right), but, as I see it, there are no chances of that happening anywhere soon.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 01:06:40 AM »

Good to see you return, YoMartin. Kiki And thanks for the report on Argentina... Smiley
YoMartin
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:48:18 PM »

Hey.

My predictions were basically right, Kirchner won in a lanslide in Buenos Aires province (46% to 19% over Duhalde) and lost in the places I said he would probably loose (coming third in Buenos Aires City).

Peronism as we knew for the last 60 years maybe be dying. Interesting thing to watch.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 10:22:20 PM »

Hey.

My predictions were basically right, Kirchner won in a lanslide in Buenos Aires province (46% to 19% over Duhalde) and lost in the places I said he would probably loose (coming third in Buenos Aires City).

Peronism as we knew for the last 60 years maybe be dying. Interesting thing to watch.

Keep us informed...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies