What kind of president do you really want?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:12:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What kind of president do you really want?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What kind of president do you really want?
A liberal president

A moderate president

A conservative president

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: What kind of president do you really want?  (Read 3487 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »

Having a temperament much like that of Obama will solve a huge number of problems no matter what the ideology.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »

Having a temperament much like that of Obama will solve a huge number of problems no matter what the ideology.

Eh.  Obama's temperament is massively superior to, say, Trump's, for obvious reasons, but he's also a guy who felt above legislative dealing on capital hill/the bully pulpit, and inexplicably believed that Republicans would act in good faith 6+ years into his Presidency
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »

Left-wing on both social and economic policy, but will also defend the right to own arms.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »

Socially liberal, fiscally moderate president who knows how the economy works and stops reckless deficit spending.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 01:35:05 PM »

A more aggressively liberal version of Barack Obama.  A transformational president every bit as consequential as Ronald Reagan was for the Republican Party and the conservative movement in his day. 
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 02:02:33 PM »

Moderate to liberal on certain issues while conservative on others, essentially a mixed bag.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »

A liberal for sure. I wouldn't mind a bit of pragmatism though if they end up having to deal with a divided government. Which will probably happen during their midterms, as usually seems to be the case.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 09:32:29 PM »

Conservative on social issues, pro-labor, pro-single payer healthcare, moderate on criminal justice issues, cautious on foreign involvements, and an advocate of reduced levels of immigration.

As no one advocates that combination of issues, I'll have to do the job myself.

dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 10:01:03 PM »

Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 10:06:14 PM »

Centrist on economic issues, center-right on social issues, muh Henry Kissenger foreign policy

I miss Nixon
Jersey Jimmy
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

A more aggressively liberal version of Barack Obama.  A transformational president every bit as consequential as Ronald Reagan was for the Republican Party and the conservative movement in his day. 
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »

I want a modern day Henry Wallace. Is that too much to ask?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »

(Posting on this thread a second time, and paraphrasing what I said before, because I want to say it more than once.)

I want a centrist president, because that kind of more likely going to appoint people to the Supreme Court who will truly interpret the Constitution objectively. A liberal president will appoint people who have a liberal bias and a conservative president who appoint people who have a conservative bias. There have been times in my life when I wanted ideological appointments to be made. I once wanted liberal Justices to be appointed, and shortly after that I spent many years wanting conservative Justices to be appointed. Now I recognize the errors of my past desires and see that only objectivity matters.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »

A progressive woman of color is my ideal president.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 06:36:02 AM »

I would go for a moderate president from both parties. Definitely not a Trumpist or too progressive.
OctoCube
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 1.42

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »

Moderate, just because they should be a broad-base Perot style candidate focused solely and entirely on cleaning up Washington D.C

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »

A technocrat that is pragmatic in fixing the issues and focuses on that. I would also like if they never make headlines outside of that. Elizabeth Warren would be that figure if she wasn’t as caught in between obvious reeling drama.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »

Left-wing on economic issues, center-right on social issues
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »

Give me a conservative for once.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »

Another one in for this. But more important than the president's location on a political spectrum to me is to not get hung up on "I have to be pure on this issue and parrot the acceptable position." We need someone with a little flexibility. For example, I'd like Sherrod Brown to run and he's liberal on just about everything, but he doesn't let that limit him or put him in a box. He isn't worried "oh, this one position I have isn't exactly like what liberals are supposed to believe nowadays, better change my views." He does what's he thinks is right, not what's perfectly liberal.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »

I want a President who is centrist, because that makes it more likely that they will appoint truly objective interpreters of law to the Supreme Court.

Why did I say a centrist? No matter how liberal, conservative, or somewhere in between, a President should only appoint truly objective interpreters of law to the Supreme Court. They should stop trying to politicize the Court, and a President of any ideology should realize that. A centrist President might appoint "moderate" people to the Court, but being "moderate" is not the same thing as being objective. "Moderate" is still an ideology, and Supreme Court Justices are not supposed to make decisions based on their own ideology.

Please, we need objective interpreters of law on the Supreme Court -- people like Oliver Wendell Holmes, Benjamin Cardozo, Hugo Black, and Learned Hand -- not more like Antonin Scalia or Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Neither Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump said anything right about what the Court needs, which was why I didn't vote for either of them. And I'm worried that the next Democratic nominee is going to say things just like what Clinton said.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »

Eh.  Obama's temperament is massively superior to, say, Trump's, for obvious reasons, but he's also a guy who felt above legislative dealing on capital hill/the bully pulpit, and inexplicably believed that Republicans would act in good faith 6+ years into his Presidency

Obama was not going to resort to pork barrel spending in an effort to get Republican votes in Congress.  Republicans decided to circle the wagons on him and reject everything except for bailing out the banks. Thus "Give me a vote on this issue and I will promote your expressway project in your district" (let us say US 131 from Kalamazoo* to the Indiana Toll  Road for Fred Upton, whose district would benefit, was out of the question).

Obama needed Democratic majorities in both Houses of Congress to achieve anything big. He was a great President for two years and a mediocre one for six. Such was the Republicans' choice. 

Pessimism is sure failure in American politics. Optimism is one's only chance.

*It would probably be renumbered as Interstate 590 in honor of a Kalamazoo radio station, WKZO-AM (590)... if you are wondering about Interstate 820 around Fort Worth, Texas, that is supposedly because WBAP-AM is at 820.

Yes, such a highway would be a good idea, replacing a Blood Alley. It is not in my district, but replacement of Blood Alleys is fitting use for highway funds.   
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »

*It would probably be renumbered as Interstate 590 in honor of a Kalamazoo radio station, WKZO-AM (590)... if you are wondering about Interstate 820 around Fort Worth, Texas, that is supposedly because WBAP-AM is at 820.

Yes, such a highway would be a good idea, replacing a Blood Alley. It is not in my district, but replacement of Blood Alleys is fitting use for highway funds.   

I-90 doesn't even go into MI at all, so that's not happening.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2018, 08:53:47 PM by MB »

I want a progressive president with proven accomplishments.

I want somebody who's an insider and an outsider at the same time.

I want somebody who's experienced but not afraid to fight.

That's why I support Neil Abercrombie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies