TN Vanderbilt/SSRS: Bredesen +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  TN Vanderbilt/SSRS: Bredesen +1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: TN Vanderbilt/SSRS: Bredesen +1  (Read 4999 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »

I believe they are using a different firm than they did in the past.

If this is an SSRS poll, this could be the difference between the race being called for Blackburn once polls closes to not having a senator-elect until the following day.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »

I believe they are using a different firm than they did in the past.

If this is an SSRS poll, this could be the difference between the race being called for Blackburn once polls closes to not having a senator-elect until the following day.

Yep, this is a SSRS poll. Perhaps the race isnt over....still lean R, but not a likely or safe R race.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »

I'd say this race stays as Lean R.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it's because of the average of polls, not because of this one in particular.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »

Guys, this race is nothing else than a pure tie.

The wild swings and outliers only indicate that pollsters have absolutely no clue what is going on there.

Bredesen is a very popular elder statesman and there is nothing to suggest he would lose by more than 2 or 3 points and it's more likely that he wins the thing.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »

Also they have Middle Tennessee as Central Tennessee, a big faux pas in the Volunteer State.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »

Even if accurate, this would fall under the category of that Adam always complains about regarding Southern suburban voters coming home in the end. In which case this would point to Bredesen not getting much more then he is polling while Blackburn gets most of the undecideds.

This kind of reminds me of Illinois 2010 where Kirk would lead 40-38 in several polls, but many were very uncertain of him actually being ahead until he started polling 46% and above, and then he just barely won.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »

Guys, this race is nothing else than a pure tie.

The wild swings and outliers only indicate that pollsters have absolutely no clue what is going on there.

Bredesen is a very popular elder statesman and there is nothing to suggest he would lose by more than 2 or 3 points and it's more likely that he wins the thing.

Not sure why you would draw the conclusion from various polls that (while swinging wildy) on average show a GOP lead, the race is a tie and the Democrat is likely to win. Especially since this is TN.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »

Blackburn is definitely favored, but this race is not over.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »

Although this poll ostensibly has Bredesen ahead, we should note that there are enough undecided voters in this poll such that his net vote share is less than 50%, so he is still vulnerable to being overtaken. If we see more polls showing him ahead in the coming days, then he is probably in good shape; if polls in the coming days show him behind, then he is probably in trouble.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2018, 01:59:46 PM by АndriуValeriovich »

Bredesen still could will win
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Well yes, he has a roughly 13% chance by my estimates.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:28 PM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »

I don’t think anyone is seriously denying that Bredesen could win in a massive Democratic tsunami (I have it as Toss-up myself, btw), it’s just a question of whether you believe 2018 will be such an election or not. Unlike the rest of this forum, I’m not convinced it will be, at least not yet.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »

I don’t think anyone is seriously denying that Bredesen could win in a massive Democratic tsunami (I have it as Toss-up myself, btw), it’s just a question of whether you believe 2018 will be such an election or not. Unlike the rest of this forum, I’m not convinced it will be, at least not yet.

How big of an election do you think it will be for Democrats? Say, going by the House popular vote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »

I don’t think anyone is seriously denying that Bredesen could win in a massive Democratic tsunami, it’s just a question of whether you believe 2018 will be such an election or not. Unlike the rest of this forum, I’m not convinced it will be, at least not yet.

I am.

Even if there's a tsunami, it's clearly built off urban and suburban areas. It's not going to be enough for Tennessee, which is very rural and has more white evangelicals and less black people than Alabama (and the Republican candidate isn't a pedophile.)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »

The rest of the forum isn't really convinced either, the average Atlas prediction shows Republicans keeping the Senate (and therefore winning TN, and no Dem Tsunami).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »

The rest of the forum isn't really convinced either, the average Atlas prediction shows Republicans keeping the Senate (and therefore winning TN, and no Dem Tsunami).

My guess is that the most reasonable estimates put us at 48-52 senate, 225-110 house.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »

Also they have Middle Tennessee as Central Tennessee, a big faux pas in the Volunteer State.

West Tennessee -- Memphis, Jackson.

Middle Tennessee -- Nashville.

East Tennessee -- Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and Chattanooga.

Tennessee outside of those cities is very rural.

SCNCmod

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »

That Blackburn woman simply can't shake off the Phil ...

I'm still flabbergasted that even TN would elect Marsha Blackburn to the US Senate (and especially over a popular 2 term Governor- that people like and trust).   
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »

This assumes Tennessee is the tipping point, when it's quite possible that O'Rourke pulls an upset or ends up doing better than expected against Cruz. Remember Kander ended up being ahead of Feingold after all.
MycroftCZ

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 11:02:45 PM »

I have a lot of mixed reactions to this poll... excited that Bredesen leads but these numbers seem really low 19 days out and I wonder, if that percent of undecides if true, how many are Republicans who like Bredesen more than Blackburn and how many are Democrats who don't like Bredesen because of the Kavanaugh support...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2018, 03:09:39 AM »

I'd just guess this is a bit of an outlier and Blackburn is up by mid-to-high single digits.

I still don't Think Bredesen is done but I Think you could call this Lean R if you're optimistic and Likely R if you're not.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 03:51:23 AM »

TN isn't that conservative and it's similar to MO.  They overwhelmely supported Trump, but can support centrist candidates like 2x elected Bredesen. He can pull off the upset
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »

I'd just guess this is a bit of an outlier and Blackburn is up by mid-to-high single digits.

I still don't Think Bredesen is done but I Think you could call this Lean R if you're optimistic and Likely R if you're not.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

Even if accurate, this would fall under the category of that Adam always complains about regarding Southern suburban voters coming home in the end. In which case this would point to Bredesen not getting much more then he is polling while Blackburn gets most of the undecideds.

This kind of reminds me of Illinois 2010 where Kirk would lead 40-38 in several polls, but many were very uncertain of him actually being ahead until he started polling 46% and above, and then he just barely won.

For what it's worth, TN undecideds usually make their mind up a lot sooner (and most polls of the state in past cycles have been just garbage, rather than indicating a late surge to the GOP). It's a bit different than the rest of "the South" - which I pretty much just consider to be GA, SC, MS & AL at this point. Cheesy

I told Jambles months ago that if Bredesen was doing things right, the undecided pool here will stay relatively large until the end - because if he has a shot, it's going to take a lot of Bredesen '06/GOP-leaners to make it happen, and they're gonna be noncommittal until the end - so I don't necessarily think that a large undecided group means the poll is wrong or that they're a lock for Blackburn. The fact that Bredesen has held on for so long sort of reaffirms my original belief on this.

There was obviously movement in TN post-Kavanaugh, but I genuinely believe a lot of it was pissy Democrats protesting his proclamation of support for Bart. They're not going to vote against him or sit at home, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies