Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:33:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED  (Read 3678 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »

So what if they volunteer and help canvass, etc?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »

Tweets like these show it is pretty damn clear that Abrams meant the "blue wave" as beyond voting, which is why she included "undocumented."
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would have expected Abrams, running for governor in a center-right state, to at least pretend she actually cares about the rule of law and putting the interests of Georgia's citizens first. Instead, she's essentially running for president through this gubernatorial process and doubling down on the hard-left turn the Democratic party has taken during the Trump years.

She should be kept as far away from the governor's mansion as possible.

Do you actually prefer the guy trying to prevent actual citizens from voting, though?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »

I was undecided before this post. Now I am voting abrams because i am tired of your sh*t.

My sh*t? Pretty sure this is the first thread I've made about Abrams, so... it must not take much to make you tired.

Knowing snotty, elitist kids like you are big fans of Kemp makes me go to his opponent.

First of all, I'm not a big Kemp fan, but I'll take him over the staunchly liberal Abrams. Secondly, please don't act as if you know the kind of person I am or know anything about my personal history based on interactions from a political forum.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »

So what if they volunteer and help canvass, etc?

Yeah I’m not seeing the issue with this. Undocumented people can’t vote but they’re still able to participate in political campaigns.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »

Cheap hysterics. You know good and well that she was talking about a bigger picture and not voting. The real problem is that Republicans are trying to stop people who aren't supporting them from voting. The actual Secretary of State is trying to rig the election for himself.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 06:19:37 PM »

omg she’s getting illegals to vote
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »

My guess is that she's saying that part of the blue wave is standing up for the humanity of undocumented immigrants, because more Americans than not don't believe in putting children in cages and laughing when they cry because of getting separated from their parents. Some of us care more about the fact that many are being treated as less than human than the fact that their status is not currently legal.

This seems exactly like what she's saying.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »

Cheap hysterics. You know good and well that she was talking about a bigger picture and not voting. The real problem is that Republicans are trying to stop people who aren't supporting them from voting. The actual Secretary of State is trying to rig the election for himself.

Right... which is why the Exact Match Law is currently only affecting less than 1% of Georgia voters (53,000 out of 5.6 million), will not prevent people from voting in this election cycle, and includes a "26-month period which affords any pending applicant plenty of time to participate in a federal election -- when expected turnout is highest -- so the applicant has the best opportunity to provide the necessary information and move to active status.”

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/53k-voter-registrations-on-hold-across-georgia/851445017
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »

I read about this, and I do think that it is somewhat overblown. While I don't condone using the politically correct terms "undocumented" and "documented" to refer to illegal immigrants and citizens, and while I certainly don't agree with much of the "anti-wall" stances of the Democrats, I also don't think that Abrams was making a call for illegal immigrants to vote. She seems to have been expressing concern about their humanity, and implying that a Democratic victory in the midterms would be advancing their cause as well as the cause of others. This is in adherence with what other Democrats have said throughout the year.
BundouYMB

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »

Yeah, it's crazy how Democrats care so little about the rule of law. They actually elected someone President who wouldn't release his tax returns, has shady business dealings with Russian oligarchs, had a campaign manager who went to prison, and who treats the constitution like toilet paper.

Oh, wait. *checks notes* That was the Republicans.

But I'm sure Democrats caring about brown people is just as bad.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »

She'll still win as she's Lady Obama (except Georgia is less white now), but horrible optics.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »

Yeah, it's crazy how Democrats care so little about the rule of law. They actually elected someone President who wouldn't release his tax returns, has shady business dealings with Russian oligarchs, had a campaign manager who went to prison, and who treats the constitution like toilet paper.

You're not wrong about a lot of those facts regarding Trump, but again, Abrams is running for Governor of Georgia, not President...

Also, why is it that so many on the left are incapable of understanding that being against illegal immigration does not equal being against brown people? It's a matter of the rule of law, not a matter of race.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »

I would have expected Abrams, running for governor in a center-right state, to at least pretend she actually cares about the rule of law and putting the interests of Georgia's citizens first. Instead, she's essentially running for president through this gubernatorial process and doubling down on the hard-left turn the Democratic party has taken during the Trump years.

Who do think keeps agriculture going in Georgia and the rest of America for that matter?  You must keep your head way up your bigoted buttcrack to not comprehend this.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »

Who do think keeps agriculture going in Georgia and the rest of America for that matter?  You must keep your head way up your bigoted buttcrack to not comprehend this.

I certainly understand that illegal immigrants make up a large portion of low-skill agriculture jobs, and for that, I don't blame the immigrants themselves but rather the employers looking to find cheap labor and undercutting American wages. The reason many Americans refuse to work those jobs are because wages have been cut to the bone through the system of hiring illegal workers. If we actually had a proper E-verify system in this country, employers would be forced to hire legal workers and we would see wages rise in that industry and more Americans would begin to work those jobs.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 07:47:14 PM by Virginiá »

Right... which is why the Exact Match Law is currently only affecting less than 1% of Georgia voters (53,000 out of 5.6 million), will not prevent people from voting in this election cycle, and includes a "26-month period which affords any pending applicant plenty of time to participate in a federal election -- when expected turnout is highest -- so the applicant has the best opportunity to provide the necessary information and move to active status.”

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/53k-voter-registrations-on-hold-across-georgia/851445017

The problem with a lot of these laws is they aren't even needed. I think Georgia is the only state (or one of a very small list) that even does strict information matching like this. I mean, what is the point? Why did the legislature enshrine it into law after a court already struck it down? And does their desire to do this have anything to do with 80% of the registrations on hold coming from POC (who vote strongly Democratic)? Why is so important? Think about it from our perspective - conservatives are always complaining about restrictions on guns, saying it's not even appropriate to restrict a right, yet you guys are constantly piling on all these obscure and largely pointless restrictions on voting, something that may unfortunately only be a pseudo-right, but is absolutely just as important if not more than guns. There is a clear disconnect going on here that smacks of hypocrisy. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but your party is really backwards on this.

Why can't Republicans ever balance out all the restrictions they pass with some measures to help increase turnout? This happens so rarely. I mean, it would go a long way in fighting the idea that all they care about is shrinking the electorate for electoral benefits. The fact is, whether you know it or are willing to admit it, the GOP has been engaged in a campaign to shrink the electorate (putting it nicely) since even before Obama was elected, although his election really kicked that into high gear after they flipped a ton of states in 2010.

I'll tell you what though, people like me (a staunch voting rights activist) would be complaining a lot less about things like voter ID if you paired it with other things like same-day voter registration to counteract any possible hits to turnout that voter ID causes. I certainly was pleased with West Virginia paired their voter ID bill with auto voter registration, although their voter ID was less strict so that mattered a lot too.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »

The problem with a lot of these laws is they aren't even needed. I think Georgia is the only state (or one of a very small list) that even does strict information matching like this. I mean, what is the point? Why did the legislature enshrine it into law after a court already struck it down? And does their desire to do this have anything to do with 80% of the registrations on hold coming from POC (who vote strongly Democratic)? Why is so important? Think about it from our perspective - conservatives are always complaining about restrictions on guns, saying it's not even appropriate to restrict a right, yet you guys are constantly piling on all these obscure and largely pointless restrictions on voting, something may only be a pseudo-right, but is absolutely just as important if not more than guns. There is a clear disconnect going on here that smacks of hypocrisy. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but your party is really backwards on this.

Why can't Republicans ever balance out all the restrictions they pass with some measures to help increase turnout? This happens so rarely. I mean, it would go a long way in fighting the idea that all they care about is shrinking the electorate for electoral benefits. The fact is, whether you know it or are willing to admit it, the GOP has been engaged in a campaign to shrink the electorate (putting it nicely) since even before Obama was elected, although his election really kicked that into high gear after they flipped a ton of states in 2010.

I have no personal dedication to this law and don't find it necessary. However, since it is the current legal reality in Georgia, I'm simply stating that claims of this law "SUPPRESSING THE VOTE" are overblown.
BundouYMB

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 08:01:01 PM by BundouYMB »

You're not wrong about a lot of those facts regarding Trump, but again, Abrams is running for Governor of Georgia, not President...

Also, why is it that so many on the left are incapable of understanding that being against illegal immigration does not equal being against brown people? It's a matter of the rule of law, not a matter of race.

Yes, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that immigration only becomes a hot button political issue when America starts seeing serious demographic change.

There has not been a major change in American immigration law since the 1960s, and almost every single change since then has either tightened immigration restrictions or increased funding for border security, The United States had millions of illegal immigrants in the 1970s and 1980s and illegal immigration was barely on the national radar. It was nowhere near as important to voters back then as it is today. Why do you think that is?

(P.S. I would also like to point out that Democrats, for the most part, aren't "for" illegal immigration. We're for illegal immigrants, and I don't think that's a particularly subtle difference. I don't know of any Democratic politician who thinks it's a good thing that people immigrate illegally, but people who do are often poor, desperate, and taken advantage of. You can oppose illegal immigration and still want to do something to help our unfortunate fellow human beings.)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »

Who do think keeps agriculture going in Georgia and the rest of America for that matter?  You must keep your head way up your bigoted buttcrack to not comprehend this.

I certainly understand that illegal immigrants make up a large portion of low-skill agriculture jobs, and for that, I don't blame the immigrants themselves but rather the employers looking to find cheap labor and undercutting American wages. The reason many Americans refuse to work those jobs are because wages have been cut to the bone through the system of hiring illegal workers. If we actually had a proper E-verify system in this country, employers would be forced to hire legal workers and we would see wages rise in that industry and more Americans would begin to work those jobs.

There's a pretty long history of food processing work being done by immigrants because it's pretty repulsive work and frequently done in out of the way places.  I'm skeptical that you can find Americans to do it.  

E-verify exists but isn't utilized by many "small businesses" or they just unquestioningly run the documents through.  Can you imagine what it would be like in rural Georgia or rural Iowa if they actually started locking up the "businessmen" who hire these illegals?  
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »

There's a pretty long history of food processing work being done by immigrants because it's pretty repulsive work and frequently done in out of the way places.  I'm skeptical that you can find Americans to do it.  

E-verify exists but isn't utilized by many "small businesses" or they just unquestioningly run the documents through.  Can you imagine what it would be like in rural Georgia or rural Iowa if they actually started locking up the "businessmen" who hire these illegals?  

This liberal moderate would be 100% onboard with throwing the book at wage-cutting, illegal-hiring bastards. They illegal immigrants are being just as exploited as the Americans denied work.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 08:30:26 PM by Barraco Clintez »

Who do think keeps agriculture going in Georgia and the rest of America for that matter?  You must keep your head way up your bigoted buttcrack to not comprehend this.

There's a pretty long history of food processing work being done by immigrants because it's pretty repulsive work and frequently done in out of the way places.  I'm skeptical that you can find Americans to do it. 

E-verify exists but isn't utilized by many "small businesses" or they just unquestioningly run the documents through.  Can you imagine what it would be like in rural Georgia or rural Iowa if they actually started locking up the "businessmen" who hire these illegals? 

This liberal moderate would be 100% onboard with throwing the book at wage-cutting, illegal-hiring bastards. They illegal immigrants are being just as exploited as the Americans denied work.

I'm cool with locking them all up, but I find the assertion of Americans denied work to be dubious at best.  Don't see many people running around with Make Shoveling Chickensh**t Great Again hats.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »

Kemp should just resign from SOS. It would help him.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »

Depending on when this peaks in the news and/or when the Kemp campaign decides to make maximum hay of it, this could be the factor of this cycle that pushes "reasonable suburban independents" to the GOP per usual in the final two weeks.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »

So, like, do pearls feel any different when you clutch them, versus when you just hold them kinda normally in your palm?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »

So, like, do pearls feel any different when you clutch them, versus when you just hold them kinda normally in your palm?

They do slightly, yes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies