The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:33:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 172031 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:52 PM »

McAuliffe's been using his PAC to donate $ to Dems in Iowa and New Hampshire:

http://www.therepublic.com/2019/01/17/us-election-2020-mcauliffe/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1126 on: January 18, 2019, 12:49:16 AM »

I like how so many people here are opposed to Brown seeking the Presidency instead of keeping his seat in Ohio, but no-one is complaining about the idea of the Democrats' best candidate in Texas running for President and not the Senate. Not inconsistent at all...
One's a senator and one's a hypothetical. How you can't differentiate that idk.

But surely if Beto O'Rourke is so great 'the next Obama' he should be the Democrats' best chance of taking a Democrat trending state in 2020? Not just a 'hypothetical'?
Texas is a Likely R state. You’re reaching. Sherrod Brown giving up a seat is f-cking stupid. Beto is not going to win the Senate seat in a year with more Republicans turning out and a less polarizing opponent.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1127 on: January 18, 2019, 09:47:31 AM »

Casey says he won't run:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/425991-bob-casey-says-he-will-not-run-for-president-in-2020

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1128 on: January 18, 2019, 11:10:07 AM »

Republican news roundup….

Hogan headed to Iowa in March:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/18/larry-hogan-donald-trump-2020-election-1110535

Also of note on Hogan: he invited Bill Kristol to his inauguration.  Kristol, as noted here before, has a Super PAC that’s raising $ to support whoever ends up primarying Trump.

Corker on a 2020 presidential run: “It’s a possitibility”, but not at the front of his mind:

https://www.nashvillepublicradio.org/post/tri-star-state-corker-blames-trump-shutdown#stream/0

Finally, Kasich will be on Real Time tonight:

https://twitter.com/RealTimers/status/1085332775798882304
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1129 on: January 18, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »

As noted here before, Buttigieg's book comes out on Feb. 12th, and the most recent reporting suggested he might not launch an exploratory committee until his book tour was over.  But in this interview, he suggests he might end up acting earlier than that, possibly this month:

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/politics/police-tapes-pence-immigration-raid-rumor-what-we-learned-from/article_3d871e0c-1dfe-5339-8f18-eea5a90a4560.html

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1130 on: January 18, 2019, 01:25:29 PM »

As noted here before, Buttigieg's book comes out on Feb. 12th, and the most recent reporting suggested he might not launch an exploratory committee until his book tour was over.  But in this interview, he suggests he might end up acting earlier than that, possibly this month:

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/politics/police-tapes-pence-immigration-raid-rumor-what-we-learned-from/article_3d871e0c-1dfe-5339-8f18-eea5a90a4560.html

This Buttigieg thing is so weird, what makes him more notable than the hundred other small town Mayors out there? Why does he get more attention than say Levar Stoney or Muriel Bowser?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1131 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »

As noted here before, Buttigieg's book comes out on Feb. 12th, and the most recent reporting suggested he might not launch an exploratory committee until his book tour was over.  But in this interview, he suggests he might end up acting earlier than that, possibly this month:

This Buttigieg thing is so weird, what makes him more notable than the hundred other small town Mayors out there? Why does he get more attention than say Levar Stoney or Muriel Bowser?

He's young, gay and an Afghanistan veteran.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1132 on: January 18, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »

He's running for president*, and they're not.  If these other mayors suggested that they might run for president, the media would cover them too.

* Not officially running for president yet, but he's been dropping hints for a long time now.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #1133 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2019, 02:29:52 PM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

It'll be hard to support Brown in a primary until he stops being to Gillibrand's right on an issue as fundamental as healthcare.

In a statement, Brown, D-Ohio, said he has “always been supportive of Medicare for all.” But he said “right now, I’m focused on building bipartisan support for my bill to allow people to buy into the Medicare program at age 55, which will cut costs and expand choices for Ohioans.”

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20170911/brown-will-not-co-sponsor-sanders-medicare-for-all-bill

Also keep in mind Medicare for All wasn't invented in 2017 by Bernie Sanders (that was the only Congress I could find when he cosponsored it, but regardless)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-congress/house-bill/676/cosponsors

I'm way more concerned about Brown on weed and cap and trade.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1134 on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »

I'd assume he's not running because he figured he could not win the primary, he's just not saying that explicitly. Tbh I've never heard anyone talk about him running seriously. But with the field as open as it is, he might have had a shot.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1135 on: January 18, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »

New 2020 news roundup here, including Harris settling on Baltimore for her campaign HQ, and more suggestions that Bullock won't enter the race until May (the Montana legislative session in 2019 ends on May 1st):

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/kamala-harris-zeroes-in-on-baltimore-for-2020-headquarters.html

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1136 on: January 18, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »

Howard Schultz exploring running for President as an Independent
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1137 on: January 18, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »

Lmao
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #1138 on: January 19, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »

Brown shouldn't run. Bullock and Hickenlooper (along with Abrams and either Anthony Foxx or Jeff Jackson) need to run for Senate. They have 0 chance in the presidential election. It looks like Beto has a real chance at the presidency, but if his poll numbers drop he should run against Cornyn. We need good Senators, and people who abandon a good chance at being Senator (and flipping the chamber to the Democrats) for an infinitesimal chance at being President need a reality check.

Oh and I'd love it if Hogan primaries Trump. He's got nothing to lose in doing so.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #1139 on: January 19, 2019, 04:36:42 AM »

Oh and I'd love it if Hogan primaries Trump. He's got nothing to lose in doing so.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1140 on: January 19, 2019, 05:58:40 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/426104-kamala-harris-picks-baltimore-as-headquarters-for-potential-2020-campaign
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #1141 on: January 19, 2019, 06:40:08 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-18/kamala-harris-s-early-no-on-wall-may-give-her-an-edge-in-2020

Bloomberg's piece about Kamala. That's why she has to be the first female president. She is credible and honest.
Joey1996

« Reply #1142 on: January 19, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »

Wikipedia says Harris is supposed to announce today, any truth to this?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1143 on: January 19, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »

Wikipedia says Harris is supposed to announce today, any truth to this?

They're just talking about how anonymous sources in her proto-campaign have said that she'll announce on MLK Day weekend or shortly thereafter.  Today is the first day of MLK Day weekend, so it could happen today, I guess, but who knows.  Neither she nor people around her have confirmed anything on the record.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1144 on: January 19, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »

Why would he do this.  We could use a new Ross Perot: but that person is not Howard Schultz.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1145 on: January 19, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »

Swalwell's about to do a two week tour of all four early primary states:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/diaz/article/The-2020-Democratic-primaries-Does-Rep-Eric-13545888.php

He also says that he'll decide on whether to run for prez "by early spring, at the latest".

However, interestingly, it sounds like he's already giving his likely campaign a December 2019 deadline to make some headway in the polls, or else he'll drop out of the race and run for reelection for his House seat instead:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1146 on: January 19, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »

Harris *might* launch her campaign (or exploratory committee) at a rally in Oakland on Monday:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/426163-bernie-sanders-to-visit-south-carolina-amid-2020-speculation

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1147 on: January 19, 2019, 11:42:23 PM »

It'll be hard to support Brown in a primary until he stops being to Gillibrand's right on an issue as fundamental as healthcare.

In a statement, Brown, D-Ohio, said he has “always been supportive of Medicare for all.” But he said “right now, I’m focused on building bipartisan support for my bill to allow people to buy into the Medicare program at age 55, which will cut costs and expand choices for Ohioans.
That isn't good enough. Not even close.

He's ceding ground on a popular policy position to the GOP already, for no reason. I imagine by the time he gets into office, he'll be promoting "Medicare for All, over 65."

How is it that someone can become a United States Senator, and not know how to negotiate? What the hell does he lose in a campaign for calling for Medicare for All right now? Even the neolib candidates support it!

The kid I graduated with who's running a GoFundMe for both of his cancer-stricken parents can't wait for a goddamn "bipartisan solution." He needs action, now. He needs someone on his side now. Apparently, Sherrod isn't.

I will not be supporting a candidate who does not explicitly support Medicare for All during their campaign. A shame to add Sherrod Brown to that list.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1148 on: January 20, 2019, 12:05:21 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2019, 12:09:04 AM by FM YE »

In a statement, Brown, D-Ohio, said he has “always been supportive of Medicare for all.” But he said “right now, I’m focused on building bipartisan support for my bill to allow people to buy into the Medicare program at age 55, which will cut costs and expand choices for Ohioans.

He's ceding ground on a popular policy position to the GOP already, for no reason. I imagine by the time he gets into office, he'll be promoting "Medicare for All, over 65."

How is it that someone can become a United States Senator, and not know how to negotiate? What the hell does he lose in a campaign for calling for Medicare for All right now? Even the neolib candidates support it!

The kid I graduated with who's running a GoFundMe for both of his cancer-stricken parents can't wait for a goddamn "bipartisan solution." He needs action, now. He needs someone on his side now. Apparently, Sherrod isn't.

I will not be supporting a candidate who does not explicitly support Medicare for All during their campaign. A shame to add Sherrod Brown to that list.

As I've pointed out on AAD, Sherrod Brown voted for a pro-single payer amendment before it was cool so he does have a good record on the issue. I'd wait for the single payer bill to be introduced in the Senate and  Brown not to explicitly support that before I'd panic, and honestly, I trust Sherrod Brown on the issue of healthcare more than Kamala Harris aside from blindly supported HR 676 has no record on the issue of healthcare or Cory Booker who did the same thing as Harris but not after his infamous prescription drug vote.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #1149 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46:35 AM »

He's "ceding" the position because M4A has no chance of making it to the current senate floor, unlike a Medicare eligibility expansion bill. You seem to think that Brown is implying that we don't need M4A, and that he would settle for just a Medicare eligibility expansion, when that is clearly not what he is saying.

And he doesn't need to "call" for Medicare for all, due to him already supporting it, and even saying he supports it in the quote in my last post. Seeing how he has a better M4A record then most prospective candidates, I think it's safe to say he'll be an "explicit" supporter of M4A during the campiagn.

It's good to be living up to my username again.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies