The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:25:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 173714 times)
NevadanAtHeart
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: December 27, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »

Bloomberg campaign will be largely self-funded:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/26/mike-bloomberg-likely-to-spend-over-100-million-on-a-2020-campaign-for-president-if-he-chooses-to-run.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Won't accept any money from PACs but, in the unlikely event that he wins the nomination, I assume he'll still take individual donations.  Because running in the general election costs ~$1 billion, and I assume he doesn't want to come up with that all by himself.

He's worth ~$50bn and has already given at least $8bn to charity, so not really a big sum for him.

Oh wow, I didn't realize his fortune was quite that big.  OK then, never mind.  Tongue

To be clear, his net worth doesn't necessarily mean that's how much he has in cash. But he does have a lot of money. The guy casually dropped $1.8 billion last month for financial aid at my school. (Go hop, am I right?)
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #726 on: December 27, 2018, 10:59:54 PM »

Bloomberg campaign will be largely self-funded:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/26/mike-bloomberg-likely-to-spend-over-100-million-on-a-2020-campaign-for-president-if-he-chooses-to-run.html

Won't accept any money from PACs but, in the unlikely event that he wins the nomination, I assume he'll still take individual donations.  Because running in the general election costs ~$1 billion, and I assume he doesn't want to come up with that all by himself.

He's worth ~$50bn and has already given at least $8bn to charity, so not really a big sum for him.

Oh wow, I didn't realize his fortune was quite that big.  OK then, never mind.  Tongue

To be clear, his net worth doesn't necessarily mean that's how much he has in cash. But he does have a lot of money. The guy casually dropped $1.8 billion last month for financial aid at my school. (Go hop, am I right?)

net worth, from my understanding, isn't how much money he has but how much everything he has is worth against everythine he owes. Hosues, land, wealth, etc. I might be wrong, but that's how I understand it.
ViaActiva

« Reply #727 on: December 28, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »

V. much doubt she is thinking of 2020, but could be on the trail.

BBC: Angelina Jolie hints at move into politics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46699457

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #728 on: December 28, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »

I'd be really surprised if Warren doesn't see the writing on the wall. It's just not gonna happen. Same with Brown.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #729 on: December 28, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »

Angelina Jolie? Who's next? Lindsey Lohan?
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #730 on: December 28, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »

Ronald Reagan.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #731 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »

Ronald Reagan.

Ronald Reagan? The actor?!
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #732 on: December 28, 2018, 11:50:43 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #733 on: December 29, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #734 on: December 29, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »

I was just about to post that story.  Here are the relevant excerpts:

Booker, Gillibrand, Harris, and Warren are moving to put the pieces in place for their campaigns, and “are poised to enter the 2020 presidential race in the next several weeks”, though some of them may start with an exploratory committee (though of course that de facto means that you’re running):

Other tidbits from the story:

-Gillibrand’s likely campaign manager is Jess Fassler (“her current top aide”).

-Harris’s likely campaign manager is Juan Rodriguez, who ran her 2016 Senate campaign.

-Booker is eyeing Addisu Demissie (who managed his first Senate race and Newsom’s gubernatorial campaign) for campaign manager.

-Warren is likely to pick Dan Geldon (her former chief of staff) for “a senior role directing strategy”.

-Hickenlooper’s likely campaign manager is Bradley Komar, a longtime aide to him.

-Harris will likely base her campaign in Baltimore or Atlanta rather than in California because “her political advisers have concluded that for practical reasons it is essential that she have a base in the Eastern Time zone”.  Nonetheless, she’ll still maintain a sizable office in CA.

-Bloomberg is conducting polling to test his prospects, and will likely decide by the end of February.

-Brown, Klobuchar, and O’Rourke are all moving slower than the others, and don’t expect them to announce in January (though you never know).

-Nonetheless, O’Rourke has “mentioned to political strategists that he’d like to hire a female campaign manager”.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #735 on: December 29, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »

Flake:

https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/28/jeff-flake-trump-2020-presidential/

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #736 on: December 29, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »

Wouldn't it be bizzare for Harris to have her HQ in a state she has no connection at all (Georgia)?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #737 on: December 29, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »

I think most of these people gave the Non-Denial about not running "We will see etc" but Gillibrand I think once categorically ruled out a 2020 run !

I am not sure if it was Gillibrand but it seemed that way !
Joey1996

« Reply #738 on: December 29, 2018, 02:03:06 PM »

So we should be expecting the bulk of these candidates to declare in the upcoming weeks?
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #739 on: December 29, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »

I was just about to post that story.  Here are the relevant excerpts:

Booker, Gillibrand, Harris, and Warren are moving to put the pieces in place for their campaigns, and “are poised to enter the 2020 presidential race in the next several weeks”, though some of them may start with an exploratory committee (though of course that de facto means that you’re running):

Other tidbits from the story:

-Gillibrand’s likely campaign manager is Jess Fassler (“her current top aide”).

-Harris’s likely campaign manager is Juan Rodriguez, who ran her 2016 Senate campaign.

-Booker is eyeing Addisu Demissie (who managed his first Senate race and Newsom’s gubernatorial campaign) for campaign manager.

-Warren is likely to pick Dan Geldon (her former chief of staff) for “a senior role directing strategy”.

-Hickenlooper’s likely campaign manager is Bradley Komar, a longtime aide to him.

-Harris will likely base her campaign in Baltimore or Atlanta rather than in California because “her political advisers have concluded that for practical reasons it is essential that she have a base in the Eastern Time zone”.  Nonetheless, she’ll still maintain a sizable office in CA.

-Bloomberg is conducting polling to test his prospects, and will likely decide by the end of February.

-Brown, Klobuchar, and O’Rourke are all moving slower than the others, and don’t expect them to announce in January (though you never know).

-Nonetheless, O’Rourke has “mentioned to political strategists that he’d like to hire a female campaign manager”.

Let the games begin! Go Kamala!
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #740 on: December 29, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »

Interesting staff picks.

It's mind-boggling to see that Hickenlooper thinks he has a chance, but hell, why not add another clown to the car.

Warren, Harris, and Gillibrand going with previous campaign members surprised me. I thought they'd have a host of people to raid from Obama/Clinton-world, but it seems not.

Booker's selection of Demissie is interesting. I think he could flop or prove to be valuable. He's worked with Booker, Obama, and Gavin Newsom before - but he was Voter Outreach And Mobilization Director for Hillary 2016, which was a horribly-ran campaign.

gottsu
Poland

« Reply #741 on: December 29, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »

Warren, Harris, and Gillibrand going with previous campaign members surprised me. I thought they'd have a host of people to raid from Obama/Clinton-world, but it seems not.

Maybe none of them are Obama or Clinton associates? Senate is not a Clintonist stronghold, like DNC.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #742 on: December 29, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »

Maybe none of them are Obama or Clinton associates? Senate is not a Clintonist stronghold, like DNC.

Definitely not Warren. A lot of people associate Gillibrand with Clinton based on their past relationships, but Harris-Clinton are known to be close and Harris is generally known to be the favorite of the establishment.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #743 on: December 29, 2018, 03:43:22 PM »

Also, no mention of Bernie. Could be he's decided not to run?
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #744 on: December 29, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »

Definitely not Warren. A lot of people associate Gillibrand with Clinton based on their past relationships, but Harris-Clinton are known to be close and Harris is generally known to be the favorite of the establishment.

I would agree that Kamala is a establishment pet and also is a woman (of color) which is important for them and likely the longer Kamala's campaign will last, the more support she will be getting from Clintons, as they may brand her as "Second Obama" or "Obama in a skirt" (due to her ethnicity)

But let's don't forget about Warren-Hillary friendship. Warren may have bitched about 2016 primaries, but HRC actively considered her to be VP, and they have been friends for a long years before, so that case is complicated, I was just loosely wondering about the reasons why these candidates above aren't getting establishment's support at the inceptions of their campaigns. Maybe they didn't want to get too early in the fight or doesn't want to bet on the wrong horse as well?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #745 on: December 29, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »

Also, no mention of Bernie. Could be he's decided not to run?

At this point, that decision would be surprising.

He's polling higher than any other progressive, and while he has lost some 2016 staff to new rumored alliances, he'd probably have no issue finding new people to work for him.

He's showing all the signs, but the lack of transparency could raise the question. If he changes the guard, it'd be for Warren, Gabbard, or Merkely.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #746 on: December 29, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »

Kamala should choose Atlanta. The South will be the backbone of her campaign + she should be investing in a massive effort to turn out POC in the Sun Belt. Abrams came within 50,000 votes with young voters still not matching their usual Presidential share of the electorate. It, Florida, and North Carolina will be important states for her if she wins the nomination.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #747 on: December 29, 2018, 05:15:35 PM »

Kamala should choose Atlanta. The South will be the backbone of her campaign + she should be investing in a massive effort to turn out POC in the Sun Belt. Abrams came within 50,000 votes with young voters still not matching their usual Presidential share of the electorate. It, Florida, and North Carolina will be important states for her if she wins the nomination.
She will get slaughtered in the midwest if she were to do that.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #748 on: December 29, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »

She will get slaughtered in the midwest if she were to do that.

She will get slaughtered because she will try to mobilize minorities in the South?
I see you have an even lower opinion of rural hicks than Ice Spear.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #749 on: December 29, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »

Not sure if it's newsworthy, but it appears the domain for kamalaforpresident.com has been bought.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies