The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:20:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 172041 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: December 18, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »

God help us.

Also, if Buttigieg runs I'd be really torn. On the one hand, I'd prefer he wins higher office like Governor or Congress before running. On the other hand, I think he'd make an amazing President after what he did in South Bend, and considering how hard it'd be for a Democrat to win Indiana, this might just be the right time. I'd probably be torn between Pete, Kirsten Gillibrand and Beto O'Rourke.

Yeah, Buttigieg is screwed when it comes to running for federal/statewide office in Indiana because there is a (D) next to his name. This is why I think he should be considered for the cabinet. HUD, Transporation or Education would be good as a starter. Maybe UN Ambassador if he's interested to earn foreign policy credentials.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #626 on: December 18, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »

God help us.

Also, if Buttigieg runs I'd be really torn. On the one hand, I'd prefer he wins higher office like Governor or Congress before running. On the other hand, I think he'd make an amazing President after what he did in South Bend, and considering how hard it'd be for a Democrat to win Indiana, this might just be the right time. I'd probably be torn between Pete, Kirsten Gillibrand and Beto O'Rourke.

He should run to raise name awareness, and maybe be included in cabinet or as a possible VP candidate. (he would be an excellent pick for Kamala).

This is probably true. There's really nothing to lose if he runs (except if he embarrasses himself, but there's a risk in everything you do), and it's likely the best path for him at this point.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #627 on: December 18, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »

God help us.

He should run to raise name awareness, and maybe be included in cabinet or as a possible VP candidate. (he would be an excellent pick for Kamala).

This is probably true. There's really nothing to lose if he runs (except if he embarrasses himself, but there's a risk in everything you do), and it's likely the best path for him at this point.

I wonder whether not a handful of Democratic candidates this cycle only run to angle for an administration job. Same with Richard Ojeda, who could make a good Veteran's Secretary.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #628 on: December 18, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »

There will be at least 3 vets running if Buttigieg runs which is pretty impressive for the party. Unfortunately all of the likely candidates are lower tier, wish we had more viable vet candidates considering many were part of the success in 2018.
Joey1996

« Reply #629 on: December 18, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »

There will be at least 3 vets running if Buttigieg runs which is pretty impressive for the party. Unfortunately all of the likely candidates are lower tier, wish we had more viable vet candidates considering many were part of the success in 2018.

Duckworth would be a strong candidate but has shown no signs that she's running.
Joey1996

« Reply #630 on: December 18, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »

So Harris will be our first major announcement, this will put pressure on everyone else to declare by April

YES! QUEEN KAMALA, the first female President of the United States! Purple heart

I have no idea why people love her. At first I just thought she was just overhyped, but she' actually terrible. Her office:

- Defended a prosecutor caught making up a transcript of a fake confession

- Hid massive abuses in the state crime lab

- Argued that a guy ruled not guilty should still be in prison because he didn't prove his innocent fast enough

- Supported a bill that would have locked up poor parents of color for kids' truancy

- Argued that people should be kept in prison longer because of cheap labor

- One of her top advisors was involved in a years-long MeToo scandal involving retaliation

- Started her career with nepotism

- Sent out a tweet purporting to raise money for Stacey Abrams last month, when half the money actually went to herself

That's on top of all the Mnuchin stuff that always gets attention. I mean whatever, if people don't want to care about any of that, that's their choice. But any time Harris becomes really controversial (which WILL happen, especially if she does well) there will be plenty of material to get her with.

Yeah I mean I would vote for her if she's the nominee but she won't even be my 6th choice in the primary. Horrid criminal justice reform record.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: December 18, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »

So Harris will be our first major announcement, this will put pressure on everyone else to declare by April

YES! QUEEN KAMALA, the first female President of the United States! Purple heart

I have no idea why people love her. At first I just thought she was just overhyped, but she' actually terrible. Her office:

- Defended a prosecutor caught making up a transcript of a fake confession

- Hid massive abuses in the state crime lab

- Argued that a guy ruled not guilty should still be in prison because he didn't prove his innocent fast enough

- Supported a bill that would have locked up poor parents of color for kids' truancy

- Argued that people should be kept in prison longer because of cheap labor

- One of her top advisors was involved in a years-long MeToo scandal involving retaliation

- Started her career with nepotism

- Sent out a tweet purporting to raise money for Stacey Abrams last month, when half the money actually went to herself

That's on top of all the Mnuchin stuff that always gets attention. I mean whatever, if people don't want to care about any of that, that's their choice. But any time Harris becomes really controversial (which WILL happen, especially if she does well) there will be plenty of material to get her with.

Yeah I mean I would vote for her if she's the nominee but she won't even be my 6th choice in the primary. Horrid criminal justice reform record.

Yeah, part of these is the reason she dropped in my list of preferred candidates. I think Amy Klobuchar is by far the best female candidate and would be the best running mate for a male nominee. I'm also a bit concered Harris would play too much the "identity politics card".
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #632 on: December 18, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »

Duckworth would be a strong candidate but has shown no signs that she's running.

Duckworth not running is the biggest disappoint for me, she has so much political talent. Literally the best attributes Dems could hope for in a candidate.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »

Duckworth not running is the biggest disappoint for me, she has so much political talent. Literally the best attributes Dems could hope for in a candidate.

Duckworth might well be someone's VP nominee (she'd make a good one for almost anyone).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #634 on: December 19, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »

Harris’s chief of staff is leaving her Senate office to take a “senior adviser role” at her PAC:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article223256795.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #635 on: December 19, 2018, 12:40:59 AM »

No timeline for O'Rourke:

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/texas/story/2018/dec/19/no-timeline-orourke-not-rushing-2020-decision-despite-buzz/757284/

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #636 on: December 19, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »

Bennet reiterates that he's "thinking about it":

https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-senator-michael-bennet-says-considering-run-democratic-presidential-nomination-100013444.html

WaPo talks about some of the Iowa jockeying:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-ways-subtle-and-loud-the-presidential-contest-is-already-underway-in-iowa/2018/12/18/8553a2d8-ffc6-11e8-862a-b6a6f3ce8199_story.html?utm_term=.827ceac200df

aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #637 on: December 19, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »

Dunno if we caught this, but

The Mayor is headed to Iowa!
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #638 on: December 19, 2018, 04:09:27 PM »

I don't understand Buttigieg hype.  The guy was mayor of a city of 100,000.  South Bend isn't in the top 10,25,50, or even 100 cities.  According to Wikipedia it's ranked 301 in the US.  And he's not even like Ojeda, who has a message that's especially different from the party mainstream.  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, but Pete Buttigieg just doesn't seem like Presidential material at this time.

But if this is how we're going to do things, Boulder Mayor Suzanne "Zan" Jones 2020!  She runs the 280th largest city in the US.
Joey1996

« Reply #639 on: December 19, 2018, 04:58:08 PM »

I don't understand Buttigieg hype.  The guy was mayor of a city of 100,000.  South Bend isn't in the top 10,25,50, or even 100 cities.  According to Wikipedia it's ranked 301 in the US.  And he's not even like Ojeda, who has a message that's especially different from the party mainstream.  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, but Pete Buttigieg just doesn't seem like Presidential material at this time.

But if this is how we're going to do things, Boulder Mayor Suzanne "Zan" Jones 2020!  She runs the 280th largest city in the US.

I think Trump's win has really eroded the idea that a president needs tons of prior experience.

I'm for Buttigieg running for president if he drops out before Iowa and expands his base heading into a potential 2020 Indiana gubernatorial run. With an enthusiastic campaign and a Libertarian candidate making it a 3 way race he may have a shot.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #640 on: December 19, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »

I think Trump's win has really eroded the idea that a president needs tons of prior experience.

I'm for Buttigieg running for president if he drops out before Iowa and expands his base heading into a potential 2020 Indiana gubernatorial run. With an enthusiastic campaign and a Libertarian candidate making it a 3 way race he may have a shot.
I do agree Trump's election has given Democrats the idea they don't need to nominate an ultra-experienced politician, but these are the same people that are still complaining Trump doesn't have experience, but are fanboy-ing Michelle Obama and Oprah.

I'd rather have a businessman than a small-town mayor (which, let's be honest, Buttigieg is) If he is working up to a run for Governor, I can understand a run a bit more.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #641 on: December 19, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »

Buttigieg is a classic book deal candidate I've put Ojeda in this category too but he seems like more of  grifter than anything. Buttigieg is looking to earn his spot as a commentator on CNN/MSNBC, the alternative is fading into obscurity with no where to go in a red state.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #642 on: December 19, 2018, 08:02:36 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2018, 08:13:03 PM by Da2017 »

I'm worried Gillibrand will play too much Identity politics. Out of all the females candidate she is likely to play woman's card. Right now she has a steep hill to climb. I think voters will perceive her is saying what they want to hear rather than what she believes in. It's easy to accuse her of pandering.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #643 on: December 19, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »

I'm worried Gillibrand will play too much Identity politics. Out of all the females candidate she is likely to play woman's card. Right now she has a steep hill to climb. I think voters will perceive her is saying what they want to hear rather than what she believes in. It's easy to accuse her of pandering.

It just won't work when there are a bunch of other women running. She needs to distinguish herself, one thing that sets her apart from most of the field is that she's the only young mother. That would be really endearing with women primary voters and parents, she needs to be pushing family issues instead of feminism.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #644 on: December 19, 2018, 08:38:10 PM »

It just won't work when there are a bunch of other women running. She needs to distinguish herself, one thing that sets her apart from most of the field is that she's the only young mother. That would be really endearing with women primary voters and parents, she needs to be pushing family issues instead of feminism.

As if she doesn't already do that.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #645 on: December 19, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »

Well, looks like I've gone from Avenatti to Castro to Gabbard, if and when she announces.

If it means anything, Tulsi2020.com requires administrator login, something rare of people who buy the political domains just to troll or never use.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #646 on: December 19, 2018, 09:13:00 PM »

I agree with this.  It's not hard to think she's insincere.  In addition to what you wrote here there was also,
during the election campaign: Shermanesque "I'm not running for President"
Immediately after being reelected "I'm considering running for President."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #647 on: December 19, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »

Merkley says he'll decide within the first three months of 2019:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sen-jeff-merkley-family-board-2020-presidential-run/story?id=59894938

Also says that his family is already on board if he decides to run, and that he won't defer to any other candidate in making his decision:

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #648 on: December 19, 2018, 11:02:18 PM »

If it means anything, Tulsi2020.com requires administrator login, something rare of people who buy the political domains just to troll or never use.

Checked and conformed. Its obvious she's already decided at least on an exploratory committee.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #649 on: December 19, 2018, 11:14:07 PM »

Checked and conformed. Its obvious she's already decided at least on an exploratory committee.

Now we wait for Atlas' shredding of someone who, for all intents and purposes, is a generally good candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies