The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:22:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 172040 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »

Harris was in Iowa today stumping for Democrats and the crowds were quite impressive for a candidate this early in the stage...

LOL I knew it. Might as well cancel the primaries now; it's going to be a Kamala coronation. Only Bernie could challenge her if he runs.
No poll (albeit not many) has Kamala ahead of Biden, Bernie, or Warren. Ofc she has far less name recognition rn, but I think you're being premature/hyperbolic here. Also, I fail to see how it's a "coronation" considering she's getting grassroots support if those tweets are to be believed.

Beet, in all of his avatars iterations, has an odd fixation on hating Kamala Harris and blaming her for what he sees as an inevitable ethnopolitical party system.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »

Harris was in Iowa today stumping for Democrats and the crowds were quite impressive for a candidate this early in the stage...

LOL I knew it. Might as well cancel the primaries now; it's going to be a Kamala coronation. Only Bernie could challenge her if he runs.
No poll (albeit not many) has Kamala ahead of Biden, Bernie, or Warren. Ofc she has far less name recognition rn, but I think you're being premature/hyperbolic here. Also, I fail to see how it's a "coronation" considering she's getting grassroots support if those tweets are to be believed.

Beet, in all of his avatars iterations, has an odd fixation on hating Kamala Harris and blaming her for what he sees as an inevitable ethnopolitical party system.

No, I don't blame Harris personally for that, and it's not the reason I dislike her.

However, African Americans (about 20-30% of whom are social/temperamental conservatives) desperately need breathing room to enter the Republican Party. What Kanye and people like Candice Owens are doing, no matter what you think of Trump, is healthy for our democracy and healthy for Black Americans. As long as black people are clustered in one party, the other one (which in a two party system guaranteed a share of power in the long run -- will never be forced to confront its own racism.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »

Rep. Ro Khanna visiting New Hampshire... if he is thinking about it, then that is telling that 2020 will break all kinds of records, primary-wise. Going to be a wild cycle.
NevadanAtHeart
Rookie

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »

I mean, if we're using crowds in Iowa as an indicator, Sen. Booker killed it at the Iowa Dems' Fall Gala. Much larger crowd from what I can see. I recognize that it's not exactly grassroots support (although I believe it's not invite-only), but having the support of the individuals who would be at the Gala certainly seems like a precursor to getting resources.

But I don't think crowd sizes are that much of an indicator anyway, especially at this stage in the game when Iowans (and Dems) are clearly amenable to attending political events. O'Malley gets pretty decent crowds. Andrew Yang is probably about to fill a large dining hall in Baltimore pretty soon. Neither one is someone I rate highly as a contender.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2018, 12:13:32 AM »

Buzzfeed has a new story all about Patrick’s deliberations over whether to run for president:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/darrensands/deval-patrick-2020-president-campaign-barack-obama

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »

Castro says he’ll decide right after Nov. 6th:

https://lancasteronline.com/news/politics/q-a-former-hud-secretary-julian-castro-speaks-in-lancaster/article_8a2e7278-d72c-11e8-a76d-b3444f4bf4d1.html

Merkley heading back to NH:

Tim Ryan’s already in NH, and says “I don’t really have a timetable” for making the decision about 2020:

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »

Turning Point USA leader Candace Owens may primary Trump...? Or run for some down-ballot NY state position?

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1055221112316051456
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »

Turning Point USA leader Candace Owens may primary Trump...? Or run for some down-ballot NY state position?

I love how literally the only people constantly cheering on her comments about "enslaved" blacks are white.

Anyways, I would LOVE to watch her get crushed in a state assembly election. She lives in NYC and has an ego bigger than the f***ing Empire State building so she'll probably challenge some entrenched Dem incumbent smack in the middle of the city and lose miserably.
CherokeeDem
UnbakedCake
Rookie

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »

I love how literally the only people constantly cheering on her comments about "enslaved" blacks are white.

Anyways, I would LOVE to watch her get crushed in a state assembly election. She lives in NYC and has an ego bigger than the f***ing Empire State building so she'll probably challenge some entrenched Dem incumbent smack in the middle of the city and lose miserably.

Watch her run for mayor or something. I can't imagine what she would possibly run for unless she moved.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2018, 10:47:30 PM »

Klobuchar will be in Iowa this weekend:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/24/minnesota-amy-klobuchar-visit-iowa-weekend-democrats-caucus-president-trump-kavanaugh-candidate/1750704002/

Bloomberg’s timeline:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-his-newly-adopted-party-hugs-the-left-michael-bloomberg-aims-for-the-center/2018/10/23/8140dd7e-d6c6-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.eddb6835efae

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »

Here’s a story from a few days ago about the Sanders-Warren “standoff” about whether one or both of them will run for president:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/10/bernie-sanders-running-against-warren-president/573529/

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2018, 11:34:29 PM »

Castro says he will likely not announce his 2020 intentions until after the start of the new year:

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Democrat-Julian-Castro-2020-back-in-New-Hampshire-21099749
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2018, 12:14:05 AM »

Watch her run for mayor or something. I can't imagine what she would possibly run for unless she moved.

She'll probably do worse than Faith Goldy did in Toronto two days ago.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »

No, I don't blame Harris personally for that, and it's not the reason I dislike her.

However, African Americans (about 20-30% of whom are social/temperamental conservatives) desperately need breathing room to enter the Republican Party. What Kanye and people like Candice Owens are doing, no matter what you think of Trump, is healthy for our democracy and healthy for Black Americans. As long as black people are clustered in one party, the other one (which in a two party system guaranteed a share of power in the long run -- will never be forced to confront its own racism.
So it's up to African Americans to stop Republican racism by joining the Republican Party? Or are you saying something else here. I'm confused.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:35 AM »

Because she will run as a "second Obama" or "Obama in a skirt" in 2020. Look at her ethnic origin and career. I noticed that earlier.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »

A friend who owns bernie2020.org has been threatened with a lawsuit if he does not turn that domain over.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »

@JohnKasich - 8:42 AM - 25 Oct 2018

I gave him every chance, but I've come to the conclusion that @realDonaldTrump is simply incapable of being a unifier or accepting any personal responsibility.

Americans deserve more -- so much more -- from a President.

It's happening folks.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

A friend who owns bernie2020.org has been threatened with a lawsuit if he does not turn that domain over.
That was a problem Ron Paul faced in 2012.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »

Gillibrand asked about 2020 ambitions in her Senate debate says "I will serve my six year term":

https://freebeacon.com/politics/gillibrand-pushes-2020-speculation-serve-six-year-term-senate/

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »

Big if true.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »

Gillibrand asked about 2020 ambitions in her Senate debate says "I will serve my six year term":

https://freebeacon.com/politics/gillibrand-pushes-2020-speculation-serve-six-year-term-senate/

Technically that's true, she's just going to make a failed presidential run at the beginning of her term
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-avenatti-says-2020-democratic-nominee-better-be-a-white-male/

*loosens collar*
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »

On what grounds?  Is there any legal reason to do that?

And Deval Patrick?  He's a has been.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »

Technically that's true, she's just going to make a failed presidential run at the beginning of her term

I'm inclined to agree due to Gillibrand's big sprint left these past 2 years, but she really has been pretty direct with her denials. Also doesn't seem to be nearly as active in early primary states as some of the other guys. What's going on here?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies