Chaldean Christians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:22:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Chaldean Christians
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chaldean Christians  (Read 1088 times)
mencken
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »

How do they vote? I am curious if their patterns align with my anecdotal evidence (sample size of one, mind you)
mencken
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:52:52 AM »

Looks like the answer to my own question is yes:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »

Honestly after Trump slashed Christian refugees a while back I wouldn’t say these voters are going Republican. Wait a couple of years.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »

I would imagine they're moving right due to Dems having more sympathy for the people killing their family and friends in their motherland.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »

I would imagine they're moving right due to Dems having more sympathy for the people killing their family and friends in their motherland.

In my highly anecdotal experience this is the mindset they are adopting, yes. With that being said, it all probably depends on how much they weigh their Chaldean identity. A person who fully nationalizes/assimilates (I hate using that word but in this context it's appropriate) is less likely to consider this a deciding factor as someone who is less assimilated. As a result, the people you tend to hear voicing opinions on the matter are more likely to be biased towards a Republican lean.

Most of the Chaldeans I have ever spoken with about this live in California though, so it really doesn't matter on a Federal level. Smiley
warm istanbul
WW2
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »

In my highly anecdotal experience this is the mindset they are adopting, yes. With that being said, it all probably depends on how much they weigh their Chaldean identity. A person who fully nationalizes/assimilates (I hate using that word but in this context it's appropriate) is less likely to consider this a deciding factor as someone who is less assimilated. As a result, the people you tend to hear voicing opinions on the matter are more likely to be biased towards a Republican lean.

Most of the Chaldeans I have ever spoken with about this live in California though, so it really doesn't matter on a Federal level. Smiley

Most Chaldean Christians are very socially conservative, although so are most (older) Muslim Americans when it comes to issues like homosexuality.

I suspect they will start trending away from the GOP as it becomes clear that Trump's war on Middle Easterners is a war on brown people in general, not Muslims in particular.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 06:57:29 AM »

Only Chaldean Catholic congressperson is ... Democrat.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 07:07:56 PM »

Extremely conservative in my area, though not as conservative as Copts. Leaning Republican.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »

I can't say for Chaldean Christians but at anyrate most of the Lebanese Christians I know are big GOP supporters, as one  told me word for word: "I love Bush and I love Trump!". I'd have to imagine Assyrians think the same way.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »

I can't say for Chaldean Christians but at anyrate most of the Lebanese Christians I know are big GOP supporters, as one  told me word for word: "I love Bush and I love Trump!". I'd have to imagine Assyrians think the same way.

Lebanese Christians have a distinct set of reasons for that.

(1) Most Lebanese-American Christians are for all intents and purposes not Lebanese at all anymore, being multiple generations removed from the country and often the product of out-marriage with white people. (Ex. NH Gov. Chris Sununu is Lebanese-American: does anyone question him being anything other than a generic white guy?)

(2) For the more recent immigrants, the dynamics of Lebanese politics over the past 40 years or so lead them to favor the GOP for the same reason Cubans and Vietnamese have tended to: the US supported Christian-dominated political factions in the Lebanese civil war.

For Chaldeans, I could see location mattering. In Michigan, they might be more Republican-leaning due to vanity-of-tiny-differences issues with the Democratic-leaning Arab community. In California, that would probably be less of an issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies