"Well, There You Again..."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  "Well, There You Again..."
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Well, There You Again..."  (Read 3744 times)
HoopsCubs
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2004, 10:30:24 AM »

You might recall that Ronald Reagan used that phrase over and over again during his debates with President Jimmy Carter in 1980, and then went on to trounce Carter in November.

I see a lot of parallels between President George W. Bush and President Carter.   Both were marred with tough economic times and tough foreign policy crises.  Both had very low popularity levels from independent voters in their re-election years compared to their election years.  Both were attacked throughout the latter half of their terms for not being up to the job.

Reagan basically and effectively made the case for "Anyone But Carter."   I think Kerry can and will effectively make the case for "Anyone But Bush."  Let's hope the Senator borrows the phrase, "well, there you again."

Kerry will not trounce Bush.  Not possible.  But I think he's got a much better chance to win than anybody is giving him credit for.  Remember, all he has to do is flip 2-3 states, and he can win.  NH, WV, OH, MO, NV and AR can all go the other way if the right message is delivered.

I won't speak for the South, but Bush is not well liked in the North at this moment.  He lied about the cost of health care, he lied about Iraq, and everyday we are greeted at the 6 PM news with the names and faces of more dead soldiers.   And now think about how people around the world must view America when its soldiers are abusing prisoners.  

Time for a change!  Go Kerry!  
1980 all over again?

Hoops
California Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 10:35:56 AM »

I think an even more apprpriate Reagan line form Campaign 1980 was "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

That is always the measure for any president asking for Reelection.

HoopsCubs
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 10:44:14 AM »

I think an even more apprpriate Reagan line form Campaign 1980 was "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

Are you?  

I'm fine financially, but this right wing posse has cheapened everything good about America.  America was inclusionary - the melting pot.  A country founded on the notion that differing views and thoughts was a strength.   Now, if you're not a Christian and you don't outwardly show your belief in God, you're excluded.  We've come a long way, haven't we?  

ShapeShifter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 10:58:52 AM »

Kerry, after building himself up, will come out asking that question in any of his attack ads towards Bush.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 09:42:49 AM »

Are you?  

I'm fine financially, but this right wing posse has cheapened everything good about America.  America was inclusionary - the melting pot.  A country founded on the notion that differing views and thoughts was a strength.   Now, if you're not a Christian and you don't outwardly show your belief in God, you're excluded.  We've come a long way, haven't we?  

Give me a break, this country is not so religious that you can't practice whatever whacky religion you want to. Bush hasn't really changed all that much the religious attitude of our country. People say "Religion is dying in the U.S.". They are wrong mostly, especially w/the release of 'Passion of the Christ'. No one in this nation has been 'excluded' for being a non-Christian and I beg you to show me any such examples. We have come a long way since 1600. We no longer burn convicted witches in Massachusetts or hang those who disagree with us.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 12:18:30 PM »

It's hard to imagine a time where Massachusetts was the most conservative place in the country.  The founders of MA actually left England because it was too liberal there.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 03:02:05 PM »

It's hard to imagine a time where Massachusetts was the most conservative place in the country.  The founders of MA actually left England because it was too liberal there.

From what I understand Pilgrims themselves were a rather violent group who were basically chased out of England.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 03:37:30 PM »

Reagan participated in only one debate with Jimmy Carter in 1980, and only used the "there you go again" line once.

The 2004 election is definitely not a replay of 1980.  I lived through 1980, and there has been nothing like it since.

Bush has won support, and suffers from some foreign policy problems, for responding aggressively to an attack on our country.  Carter lost support because he appeared to do nothing in the face of a mortal threat from the Soviet Union and humiliation from Iran.  There is a big difference.

The economy today is also nothing like 1980.  Back then, inflation was running about 15% and interest rates were close to 20%.  People couldn't buy homes or borrow money to make the economy grow because interest rates were so high.  The situation today is not analogous in any way.

The attitude of the public toward Carter was also a lot different than it is toward Bush.  Bush has people who are strongly supportive of him, and those who hate him deeply.  Carter had very few people who were really supportive of him.  He wasn't liberal enough for the left wing base of his party, and too liberal for conservatives.  Even his "supporters" didn't really like him or have any enthusiasm for him.  Nobody really hated him personally, liberal or conservative, but most people hated the job he was doing as president.  The only question was whether Ronald Reagan would be worse.

I don't think the situation today is in any way comparable to 1980.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »

There is no way that you can compare the current economic situation with the one the country was going through in 1980.  Back then, the annual unemployment rate (those who found themselves unemployed at anytime during the year) was something like 15%.  Today it is about 6.5%.  Inflation was throught the roof.  No such thing is happening now.  The economy was in severe recession.  Today, the economy is growing at a rate of 4% per quarter, which is some of the fastest growth in history.
Sk
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 07:01:04 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2004, 07:02:02 PM by Sk »

You might recall that Ronald Reagan used that phrase over and over again during his debates with President Jimmy Carter in 1980, and then went on to trounce Carter in November.

I see a lot of parallels between President George W. Bush and President Carter.   Both were marred with tough economic times and tough foreign policy crises.  Both had very low popularity levels from independent voters in their re-election years compared to their election years.  Both were attacked throughout the latter half of their terms for not being up to the job.

Reagan basically and effectively made the case for "Anyone But Carter."   I think Kerry can and will effectively make the case for "Anyone But Bush."  Let's hope the Senator borrows the phrase, "well, there you again."

Kerry will not trounce Bush.  Not possible.  But I think he's got a much better chance to win than anybody is giving him credit for.  Remember, all he has to do is flip 2-3 states, and he can win.  NH, WV, OH, MO, NV and AR can all go the other way if the right message is delivered.

I won't speak for the South, but Bush is not well liked in the North at this moment.  He lied about the cost of health care, he lied about Iraq, and everyday we are greeted at the 6 PM news with the names and faces of more dead soldiers.   And now think about how people around the world must view America when its soldiers are abusing prisoners.  

Time for a change!  Go Kerry!  
1980 all over again?

Hoops

I strongly disagree with your assessment of the economy. Job growth is moderate and getting better. Companies are beginning to hire more (including in the manufacturing sector). The market is down today, but is overall quite strong.
   Bush has some definate foreign policy issues, but not because people perceive him as weak. By November many of these seemingly destructive issues (insurgency, abuse scandal, $$ for Iraq) for Bush will most likely be a memory (if Bush plays his cards right).
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 09:53:47 AM »

BUSH
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies