Who Will Be The Final Remaining Member Of The Rhenquist Court?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:25:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who Will Be The Final Remaining Member Of The Rhenquist Court?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Clarence Thomas

Stephen Breyer

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Who Will Be The Final Remaining Member Of The Rhenquist Court?  (Read 1821 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »

Pretty sure it'll be Thomas
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »

Clarence Thomas.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:33:40 PM »

I think Thomas will retire next year. A shame, because he's the best justice on the court, but he'll want to be sure Trump replaces him. Ginsberg and Breyer will both do their best to stay in until there's a Democrat to replace them, so it's just a coin flip.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

If Trump loses in 2020, it'll be Thomas. If Trump wins, it'll be Breyer.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »

If Republicans hold the Senate in 2018, and a Democrat wins in 2020, Ginsburg.
If Trump is re-elected, Breyer.
If Republicans don't have the Senate and the Presidency again until at least after 2024, Thomas.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:46:26 AM »

Could you imagine if it were RBG? One can only pray...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 12:50:51 AM »

Thomas, is only 70, should Dems win in 2020, why should Breyer or Ginsberg hold on.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »

I think Thomas will retire next year. A shame, because he's the best justice on the court, but he'll want to be sure Trump replaces him. Ginsberg and Breyer will both do their best to stay in until there's a Democrat to replace them, so it's just a coin flip.

I can only imagine the exploding heads across the political spectrum if Thomas resigns next year.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »

Is he ill?
cwh2018
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »

I think the rumour about Thomas is just because he has been on the court for nearly 30 years.  Given how young he was when he was placed n the court, he could set a pretty formidable record for longest serving justice.  Thomas could be on the court for 40 years or more.  Thomas may also be persuaded to retire under Trump in the next 2 years with a GOP senate so that another young conservative can be appointed as the GOP will probably only get to appoint conservatives when they control the presidency and senate.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »

There's an alternate world/one of my TLs where it's Thomas, but in rl, coin flip between Breyer and Ginsburg. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »

I think the rumour about Thomas is just because he has been on the court for nearly 30 years.  Given how young he was when he was placed n the court, he could set a pretty formidable record for longest serving justice.  Thomas could be on the court for 40 years or more.  Thomas may also be persuaded to retire under Trump in the next 2 years with a GOP senate so that another young conservative can be appointed as the GOP will probably only get to appoint conservatives when they control the presidency and senate.

Thomas already said he's not retiring
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »

Unless Trump actually wins reelection it'll be Thomas.

I just don't have confidence in either Ginsburg or Breyer's health, to say it'll be them, and I think they'll leave the court at around the same time.
LBJer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »

I voted Breyer, but I forgot that Thomas is 10 years younger than him, so I'd actually say Thomas (is there a way you can change your vote?).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »

I voted Breyer.

It should be Thomas, but I have a feeling if Trump isn't re-elected, he's gonna get #MeToo'd.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

I can only imagine the exploding heads across the political spectrum if Thomas resigns next year.

I think it would be extremely quiet. It would be the least consequential replacement yet, and the Dems - unless they take the Senate - would have no cards to play.
Chickpeas
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »

I would say Clarence Thomas. I don't imagine he would consider retiring before he turns 80 unless he has serious health issues. Even if Trump is re-elected Thomas would only be 76 at the end of his term. Plus by then he will only be a few years off being the longest serving justice.

Ginsburg and Breyer are already past 80. If the Democrats win the presidency in 2020 and control the Senate then Ginsburg will probably step down in 2021 followed by Breyer in 2022. If Trump wins re-election then both of them are likely to try and cling on as long as possible, health allowing. In this scenario I think Trump may get to replace at least one of them unless Democrats control the Senate and hold the seat open until the end of his term.

Of course even if Democrats replace Ginsburg and Breyer with 45-50 year old judges in the same mould they won't be able to tip the balance of the court. Probably their next best chance will be sometime in the early 2030s when Thomas and Alito are over 80.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »

Ginsberg or Breyer will retire in 2020 if there is a Democratic president elected, and if Trump is reelected, they will retire in 2024 and Thomas 2028, at the end of a Democratic 2 or 1 year term
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »

Thomas...unfortunately.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »

Based on age alone, it will obviously be Clarence Thomas. As somebody above had said, Thomas could be headed toward setting the record for longest-serving Justice in U.S. history. He was just 43 years old when he was sworn in, and if he stays on the Court until he's 80, then that's 37 years, just a few months more than the current record-holder, Justice William O. Douglas, at 36 and a half years. I think Thomas could easily stay on the Court until he's 80.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies