Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?  (Read 6627 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »

Atlas on Heitkamp's Kavanaugh vote: Doesn't matter, voters will have forgotten in a month.

Atlas on Collins' Kavanaugh vote: COLLINS HAS JUST DOOMED HERSELF IN 2020.

People on the losing side of a vote generally face no political consequences for voting as such. A SCOTUS confirmation vote is no exception to this.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »

I'm so sorry we decided to not ignore a rape accusation.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »

Read Invisible Obama's full post
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »

She may as well have. Democrats were stupid for indulging her for so many years when she was clearly not a moderate.

Yep, the pro-gay, pro-choice Republican that defeated numerous Obamacare repeal attempts is not a moderate because she's not voting the way you personally want. Cry me an Inksing river.

With that in mind, I think this was actually her reaffirming that she's not done. All the talk of civility gives her an alibi to stay on.

Nobody to the right of Javits is even kind of a moderate to Atlas Democrats.

This much is true. A moderate for most of the left-leaning users on this forum is someone who marches in lockstep with the Democratic agenda.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »

She may as well have. Democrats were stupid for indulging her for so many years when she was clearly not a moderate.

Yep, the pro-gay, pro-choice Republican that defeated numerous Obamacare repeal attempts is not a moderate because she's not voting the way you personally want. Cry me an Inksing river.

With that in mind, I think this was actually her reaffirming that she's not done. All the talk of civility gives her an alibi to stay on.

If Collins is pro-choice, why does she vote for literally every single Federalist Society justice when every FS justice wants to overturn Roe v. Wade?

Because Moderate Republicans are a ruse. Note how centrist hero John McCain's landmark McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform legislation was overturned by the very conservative justices who he had ALL voted to confirm.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »

She looked a bit aged, but I don't see that stopping her from running again. It is the Senate, after all.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »

Nobody to the right of Javits is even kind of a moderate to Atlas Democrats.

This much is true. A moderate for most of the left-leaning users on this forum is someone who marches in lockstep with the Democratic agenda.

Most of the Republicans labeled moderate nowadays are only called moderate because they don't talk like Trump does. The bar is set lower and lower every cycle.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »

If Collins is pro-choice, why does she vote for literally every single Federalist Society justice when every FS justice wants to overturn Roe v. Wade?

Because Moderate Republicans are a ruse. Note how centrist hero John McCain's landmark McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform legislation was overturned by the very conservative justices who he had ALL voted to confirm.

That was McCain's shtick throughout his entire godforsaken life. Playing the role of the hero and getting the bootlicking media and those who consumed it to play along with him.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »

That was McCain's shtick throughout his entire godforsaken life. Playing the role of the hero and getting the bootlicking media and those who consumed it to play along with him.

But McCain was widely respected by his counterparts on the opposite side of the ideological spectrum. This comment of yours, and the other comments on this board, would prefer that we just consolidate into locked, partisan camps with no one ever aiming to reach out to the other side.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »

But McCain was widely respected by his counterparts on the opposite side of the ideological spectrum. This comment of yours, and the other comments on this board, would prefer that we just consolidate into locked, partisan camps with no one ever aiming to reach out to the other side.

My dear Calthrina, it's almost as if you don't realize that both parties are working for the same elite puppetmasters, against the very interests of the masses that are corralled into voting for them and believing the illusion of choice, and that the reason we are headed directly into unparalleled destruction is because they have worked together for such aims for so long.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »

My dear Calthrina, it's almost as if you don't realize that both parties are working for the same elite puppetmasters, against the very interests of the masses that are corralled into voting for them and believing the illusion of choice, and that the reason we are headed directly into unparalleled destruction is because they have worked together for such aims for so long.

That completely contradicts the message that has been bandied about here. The argument has been that the parties are polarizing more and more, and that this divergence in viewpoints has clearly become visible through all areas of policy. While I do not deny the corruption and the backdealing that goes on in Washington D.C., I also haven't lost sight of the fact that the two parties are increasingly unable to see eye to eye with each other.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »

No, it just means having a little variety in your the judges you support. Simple things like non-rapists, non-partisan hacks, the occasional moderate, especially when the top court is already teetering on the edge of a far-right majority.

What one of the users said above makes perfect sense. If you think campaign finance is in dire need of reform and worked hard to pass said major reforms, it makes literally no sense to confirm judges you think will overturn that law. Likewise, for someone like Collins, if you really care about Roe, it makes no sense to help create a conservative court majority that will surely either strike it down outright or kill it via death by a 1000 cuts. Again, it makes no sense to confirm an endless succession of judges who will do just that.

This is a basic principle that should apply to politicians on both sides. If POTUS nominates someone who is anathema to some of your core positions, don't vote for them. But no, what you end up with is majority caucuses that are nothing but tools for POTUS and the Majority Leader. It's pathetic. You don't have to adhere 100% to a partisan agenda to be a moderate, but jesus, have some backbone and don't rubber stamp every judicial pick made. That was not how the Senate was supposed to work. If the framers intended POTUS to always get who they wanted every. single time., they would not have even given the Senate the right to confirm. But they did, and now all it is used for is to obstruct the opposition party if they control the White House, because most Senators are a bunch of partisan hacks who fall in line.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »

Susan Rice is apparently in:

Too hawkish.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »

No, it just means having a little variety in your the judges you support. Simple things like non-rapists, non-partisan hacks, the occasional moderate, especially when the top court is already teetering on the edge of a far-right majority.

What one of the users said above makes perfect sense. If you think campaign finance is in dire need of reform and worked hard to pass said major reforms, it makes literally no sense to confirm judges you think will overturn that law. Likewise, for someone like Collins, if you really care about Roe, it makes no sense to help create a conservative court majority that will surely either strike it down outright or kill it via death by a 1000 cuts. Again, it makes no sense to confirm an endless succession of judges who will do just that.

This is a basic principle that should apply to politicians on both sides. If POTUS nominates someone who is anathema to some of your core positions, don't vote for them. But no, what you end up with is majority caucuses that are nothing but tools for POTUS and the Majority Leader. It's pathetic. You don't have to adhere 100% to a partisan agenda to be a moderate, but jesus, have some backbone and don't rubber stamp every judicial pick made. That was not how the Senate was supposed to work. If the framers intended POTUS to always get who they wanted every. single time., they would not have even given the Senate the right to confirm. But they did, and now all it is used for is to obstruct the opposition party if they control the White House, because most Senators are a bunch of partisan hacks who fall in line.

I'm not trying to defend Kavanaugh here. I've made clear elsewhere that he should not be confirmed, due to the concerns raised by his testimony, the allegations, and some of the more objectionable aspects of his judicial record. What I'm trying to fight is the perception, held by many users on this forum, that only those who are on the left side of the ideological spectrum are "worthy" and "good". Many users here would have us reduced to a one-party system, in which Democratic policies and Democratic ideas are pushed, 24/7, without any regard for alternatives. Partisanship, more then anything else, has fueled the reaction by many to the issues on here.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »

Isn't she running for governor next time anyway?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »

To those saying that we're "overreacting", I'm curious what would be an appropriate time for a strong reaction. A moronic celebrity with no political experience who talks like a 1st grader and proposed banning people from certain countries/religions from entering this country was elected president, and being deeply upset about that was "overreacting." Republicans held a Supreme Court seat open for a year (and would've tried to do so for 4 more years), refusing to even hold hearings for Garland, and the consequences they faced were getting a trifecta and facing no resistance for their nominee, Gorsuch. Oh, but we "overreacted" to that as well. Trump actually did ban people from certain countries from entering this country, and again we heard about the "PC left getting triggered." An ongoing investigation into a foreign government trying to influence our elections, for which several indictments have been made, is a "witch hunt", and a product of the left being "butthurt" about Trump winning.

And now, Republicans rush Kavanaugh onto the Court, demonstrating cosmic levels of hypocrisy, all the while not investigating the allegations seriously, and ignoring the fact that he perjured himself under oath multiple times. I suppose we're just supposed to take that in stride, right? Or the fact that after we're accused of not being empathetic enough and not relating to/listening to voters who have different opinions, while most Republicans have absolutely no interest in "understanding" or listening to liberals. In fact, the current brand of the Republican Party revels in mocking us and takes pleasure in our anger and pain. When is it acceptable for us to express our frustration with a toxic political environment that frankly isn't fair, and feels less like a democracy every day?

Some of us are tired of double standards regarding civility and discourse. We have to be civil and Republicans don't. We have to understand and respect people with other opinions and Republicans don't. Republicans seem to be gambling on the idea that either Democrats will never get a trifecta again, or that Democrats will still want to "play nice" even after everything that's happened over the past decade. I don't think that's a risk that will pay off well for the Republicans.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »

No if nothing else she made sure she doesn't face a strong primary opposition, the odds that democrats will care about Ford or Kavanaugh two months from now, lot alone two years from now is absurd. They'll find another shiny object to throw a tantrum over within the week and toss their designated victim Dr.Ford to the curb.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »

No if nothing else she made sure she doesn't face a strong primary opposition, the odds that democrats will care about Ford or Kavanaugh two months from now, lot alone two years from now is absurd. They'll find another shiny object to throw a tantrum over within the week and toss their designated victim Dr.Ford to the curb.

So the Dems will forget about this and go back to supporting Collins, while the Rs will just pack up their bags and remember that she voted for Kavanaugh? Pick one, either both forget, or its still an issue.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »

So the Dems will forget about this and go back to supporting Collins, while the Rs will just pack up their bags and remember that she voted for Kavanaugh? Pick one, either both forget, or its still an issue.
I don't doubt she'll lack the crossover vote she had in 2014 but to think this issue will be salient enough for her to lose in 2020 is delusional
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »

To those saying that we're "overreacting", I'm curious what would be an appropriate time for a strong reaction. A moronic celebrity with no political experience who talks like a 1st grader and proposed banning people from certain countries/religions from entering this country was elected president, and being deeply upset about that was "overreacting." Republicans held a Supreme Court seat open for a year (and would've tried to do so for 4 more years), refusing to even hold hearings for Garland, and the consequences they faced were getting a trifecta and facing no resistance for their nominee, Gorsuch. Oh, but we "overreacted" to that as well. Trump actually did ban people from certain countries from entering this country, and again we heard about the "PC left getting triggered." An ongoing investigation into a foreign government trying to influence our elections, for which several indictments have been made, is a "witch hunt", and a product of the left being "butthurt" about Trump winning.

And now, Republicans rush Kavanaugh onto the Court, demonstrating cosmic levels of hypocrisy, all the while not investigating the allegations seriously, and ignoring the fact that he perjured himself under oath multiple times. I suppose we're just supposed to take that in stride, right? Or the fact that after we're accused of not being empathetic enough and not relating to/listening to voters who have different opinions, while most Republicans have absolutely no interest in "understanding" or listening to liberals. In fact, the current brand of the Republican Party revels in mocking us and takes pleasure in our anger and pain. When is it acceptable for us to express our frustration with a toxic political environment that frankly isn't fair, and feels less like a democracy every day?

Some of us are tired of double standards regarding civility and discourse. We have to be civil and Republicans don't. We have to understand and respect people with other opinions and Republicans don't. Republicans seem to be gambling on the idea that either Democrats will never get a trifecta again, or that Democrats will still want to "play nice" even after everything that's happened over the past decade. I don't think that's a risk that will pay off well for the Republicans.

What happened with you? I thought Reasonable Republicans™ such as yourself and Bill Kristol were part of the #resistance?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »

If Collins wins in 2020, it will be due to Maine's Republican trend and/or a good year for Republicans, not due to any crossover appeal she still has.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »

What happened with you? I thought Reasonable Republicans™ such as yourself and Bill Kristol were part of the #resistance?

We decided that the #resistance is isn't #moderate enough for us.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »

If Republicans want to boot her out they will do it, so voting for Kavanaugh won't prevent her from losing the primary. She has a whole list of other votes that conservatives do not like and Paul LePage could make easy work of her. Second, with Trump on the ballot all negative perceptions already baked in. It's not throwing a tantrum to oppose a court nominee. This is serious business, we aren't talking about picking a flavor of ice cream.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »

No. Nobody will remember or care by 2020. There's going to be thousands of new shiny objects over the next 2 years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies