Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:47:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?  (Read 6635 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »

After announcing her vote for Kavanaugh, did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?

Her recipe for winning is to sweep the moderates and win ~40% of Democrats.

I don't see how that would be possible after she voted for Kavanaugh
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:13 PM »

She may as well have. Democrats were stupid for indulging her for so many years when she was clearly not a moderate.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:30:08 PM »

Yeah I doubt she runs
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2018, 03:35:18 PM by MT Treasurer »

Uh, no? She was always much more likely to lose the primary than the general.

And no, she certainly doesn’t need to win "~40% of Democrats" in a D+3 state. Get real.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2018, 03:39:28 PM by АndriуValeriovich »

here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »

I think she retires.

I don't think she can win reelection in Maine after this.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »

She may as well have. Democrats were stupid for indulging her for so many years when she was clearly not a moderate.

Yep, the pro-gay, pro-choice Republican that defeated numerous Obamacare repeal attempts is not a moderate because she's not voting the way you personally want. Cry me an Inksing river.

With that in mind, I think this was actually her reaffirming that she's not done. All the talk of civility gives her an alibi to stay on.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »

This also helps Mills and Jared Golden out in their races. It's no use harping on it, Gardner, Tillis, Collins and hopefully Roberts get voted out
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »

Susan Rice is apparently in:

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 03:36:58 PM »

40% of Democrats?!  LOL, say what you want about her primary chances, but in the general she was obviously winning based off of standardly high Republican support and great independent support ... the Democrats kind enough to give her their votes were icing on the cake.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »

This forum's usual overreaction...
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:34 PM »

Her retirement has been locked since Trump became President. Her 2015-2021 term has been an absolute disaster and mess unlike her previous terms where she was able to keep a relatively low profile.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »

Yep, the pro-gay, pro-choice Republican that defeated numerous Obamacare repeal attempts is not a moderate because she's not voting the way you personally want. Cry me an Inksing river.

With that in mind, I think this was actually her reaffirming that she's not done. All the talk of civility gives her an alibi to stay on.

Nobody to the right of Javits is even kind of a moderate to Atlas Democrats.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »

Susan Rice is apparently in:

Hmm wouldn’t be my first choice
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »

If Collins is pro-choice, why does she vote for literally every single Federalist Society justice when every FS justice wants to overturn Roe v. Wade?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »

No. Trump won 45% of the vote in ME in 2016, so it's not like she's running for re-election in, say, Massachusetts. She needs to be just as worried about a primary as about a general election challenge, and she also needs to make sure she doesn't get much undervoting (i.e. people voting for Trump but not her) by conservatives in 2020.

I do hope that voting for Kavanaugh hurts her a bit in 2020, but I think it's more likely that conservatives would have remembered in 2020 than that swing voters will care.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Whether voters remember Collins's vote in 2020 is going to depend a lot on whether Kavanaugh is the deciding vote in any huge decisions, like overturning Roe v. Wade, before then.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »

No. Trump won 45% of the vote in ME in 2016, so it's not like she's running for re-election in, say, Massachusetts. She needs to be just as worried about a primary as about a general election challenge, and she also needs to make sure she doesn't get much undervoting (i.e. people voting for Trump but not her) by conservatives in 2020.

I do hope that voting for Kavanaugh hurts her a bit in 2020, but I think it's more likely that conservatives would have remembered in 2020 than that swing voters will care.

Yes, but ME has a Governorhip up and a vulnerable House seat and with her affirmative vote, likely will cost the GOP
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »

She can fashion herself anything she wants to but it doesn't make a bit of difference when she votes for extremely conservative leadership and court nominees.

MISS SUGAR HONEY ICE TEA IS GOING DOWN IN 2020. PREPARE TO CRY HARD!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

There are two reasons for the decision she has made:

1. She is trying to move right for the primary, which is good for her, but I wonder if it will work. This is because Collins has been shown to be outright weak in primaries, with her chance to become governor squashed cause she couldnt beat the previous health care administrator. As senator, she was losing, big time, to a public health care official. What if she faced someone strong? What if she faced Paul LePage, or perhaps a former representative, or even a state legislator, she could be in real trouble. If I were her, I would have just gone the moderate path, and allowed myself to stay in power, perhaps as an indie.

2. There is also the other scenario, that she has given up. She has nothing else to do but vote with the GOP and cement their leadership. She is retiring. This is highly possible. With her having such a new record to be attacked on (not to mention the 2$ million already raised against her), it is very possible that she sees it as too much effort and work, and not even a certainty, and has decided to retire.

Also, to those who are saying ME is a weak D state or that Trump won by 3 points forgets what happened in 2016. Collins now has a race if she wins, a race that will depend on whether she can appeal to the Trump voters in the second, and the Clinton voters in the first. Something tells me she will not be competitive this year in the first, so its up to the second, WWC, Trump district, to vote for Collins by enough of a margin to eclipse the first, its larger counterpart. That...is tough, especially if the Ds get someone like Troy Jackson, or Jared Golden, or we see a return affect that basically resets the state at 2012.

Anyway, this is all just speculation, we will have to see what happens. All that is known is that Collins gave the SC a new justice.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

Atlas on Heitkamp's Kavanaugh vote: Doesn't matter, voters will have forgotten in a month.

Atlas on Collins' Kavanaugh vote: COLLINS HAS JUST DOOMED HERSELF IN 2020.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »

Atlas on Heitkamp's Kavanaugh vote: Doesn't matter, voters will have forgotten in a month.

Well, to be fair, voters will feel the repercussions from Collins's vote and not Heitkamp's.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »

Yep, I already assumed she was going to retire anyway. Voting for Kavanaugh proves she is done with politics.

Nope. Kavanaugh being confirmed can only help Dems.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »

There are two reasons for the decision she has made:

1. She is trying to move right for the primary, which is good for her, but I wonder if it will work. This is because Collins has been shown to be outright weak in primaries, with her chance to become governor squashed cause she couldnt beat the previous health care administrator. As senator, she was losing, big time, to a public health care official. What if she faced someone strong? What if she faced Paul LePage, or perhaps a former representative, or even a state legislator, she could be in real trouble. If I were her, I would have just gone the moderate path, and allowed myself to stay in power, perhaps as an indie.

2. There is also the other scenario, that she has given up. She has nothing else to do but vote with the GOP and cement their leadership. She is retiring. This is highly possible. With her having such a new record to be attacked on (not to mention the 2$ million already raised against her), it is very possible that she sees it as too much effort and work, and not even a certainty, and has decided to retire.

Also, to those who are saying ME is a weak D state or that Trump won by 3 points forgets what happened in 2016. Collins now has a race if she wins, a race that will depend on whether she can appeal to the Trump voters in the second, and the Clinton voters in the first. Something tells me she will not be competitive this year in the first, so its up to the second, WWC, Trump district, to vote for Collins by enough of a margin to eclipse the first, its larger counterpart. That...is tough, especially if the Ds get someone like Troy Jackson, or Jared Golden, or we see a return affect that basically resets the state at 2012.

Anyway, this is all just speculation, we will have to see what happens. All that is known is that Collins gave the SC a new justice.

3. She didn't think there was enough evidence to believe allegations against Judge Kavanaugh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies